Home Metal Detecting
Options

What are the standard rules surrounding having someone metal detect on my property?

I live in a very old New England town, and my property has been farmed probably from colonial times, up until about 12 years ago when the farmer sold off pieces of the land and houses were built.

What is the likelihood that there would be some good finds on my property? Also, what are the standard terms if I wanted to have a metal detecting person come and sweep the property? Do I typicaly pay by the hour? Do I get to keep all of the finds? Do we somehow split the finds? Any thoughts?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre, depends entirely upon you... Most MD'ers would be glad to detect your property for free.... as to sharing the finds, up to you to negotiate that.... most finds consist of early coinage - usually to 'corroded' to be of great value, but of value to MD'ers who get the thrill of finding lost treasure. Unless you suspect some major stash, I would just ask to be included in the review and maybe a portion of the finds. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me,I would split the finds 50% of the cash value.

Al
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    I live in an old New England town and would be happy to detect your property for free.
    My usual agreement with a land owner is...
    1 You get the pick of the litter.
    2 Any cache is split evenly.
    3 Anything of historic significance is up to you as to wether or not you want it reported to the local historic society.
    4 All holes get filled and stomped back down, but one or two holes may show signs of dead grass in a couple weeks.
    5 I get to take pictures of the site and finds.
    I also have a spare machine if you want to join the fun.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    When I have done it, I generally tell them (the property owner) that they can keep all the gold I find. Only had a smart old lady ask me once - so how much gold had I found. (the answer is none by the way).
  • Options
    if you'd like your property checked over thouroughly by an outstanding member of the metal detecting community?....call phut.....anopther option would be to buy your own detector and get your hands dirty......good luck and hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre, Based on what I have learned on this board... I would highly recommend you contact Phut.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Possibility of good finds? Depends upon how/where the new houses were built.
    The typical approach that I see here in Mass: the developer clearcuts as needed, scrapes the topsoil into big piles, and spreads precious few inches of it around again after the houses are built. That doesn't make for good odds of old stuff remaining.

However, there may be undisturbed areas. Also, your house could've been built where long vanished homes once stood, leading to more artifacts left in the ground versus typical field drops. Research with old maps, local histories etc. might give you some clues.

The only way to be sure if there's good stuff is to go find it.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    If money is exchanged or you suspect a valuable find......Get the agreement in writing first.
  • Options

<< <i>I live in an old New England town and would be happy to detect your property for free. My usual agreement with a land owner is... 1 You get the pick of the litter. 2 Any cache is split evenly. 3 Anything of historic significance is up to you as to wether or not you want it reported to the local historic society. 4 All holes get filled and stomped back down, but one or two holes may show signs of dead grass in a couple weeks. 5 I get to take pictures of the site and finds. I also have a spare machine if you want to join the fun. >>

You have the BEST offer you will get! ! !
    Try his "spare machine" and have fun. HURRY THE SNOW WILL COME SOON ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phut's terms are the way to go.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.