Options
Western Assayer Bars - Ford Collection
RWB
Posts: 8,082 ✭
The Stack's catalog for the Ford collection of Western assayer bars is now out. Anyone have an opinion on the authenticity of some of these?
0
Comments
For one man who isn't afraid to voice his opinion on this subject, check out this link:
How the West Was Faked -- John Kleeberg
Coin Rarities Online
SHould be awesome! A lot of fakes, probably though
MOO
TD
After all that has been written in the past two decades, I am virtually certain that Stack's under the diligent guidance of Harvey Stack, QDB, and Larry Stack, and the research and further study by both Mike Hodder and the newly retired JK, will only allow items that are 100% guaranteed in this sale.
I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.
eBaystore
Aren't all items sold at auction guaranteed anyway?
Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
Well, just Love coins, period.
TD
Well, just Love coins, period.
<< <i>Let he who is without foibles, cast the first foib...........
TD >>
<< <i>Uhhhh, what? We are talking about some ???numismatic related items with dubious origins. In fact many of us are not dealers or big time so when things may be questionable, we can discuss the issues, and since I have not "created" any such things then I guess that I can comment as can others. If Henway chooses to believe all that Stack's says or does, more power to him. >>
I never said that I accept everything that Stack's says or does. I don't believe that I could say that about anybody.
However, I must ask, is there any specific item in the catalogue that you care to question the authenticity of? If so, please identify the lot number.
As an active participant in the Ford vs. The World debates for over 25 years, I must commend the judicious editing that the collection has undergone prior to being catalogued. It would be a gross injustice to condemn the items that are in the catalogue on the basis of items that are not in the catalogue.
TD
<< <i>... What a collection! >>
Indeed. And I think I read somewhere that there are no "regular" US Federal series coins in the entire collection. If that's true, it makes the Ford collection even more amazing.
<< <i>
<< <i>Uhhhh, what? We are talking about some ???numismatic related items with dubious origins. In fact many of us are not dealers or big time so when things may be questionable, we can discuss the issues, and since I have not "created" any such things then I guess that I can comment as can others. If Henway chooses to believe all that Stack's says or does, more power to him. >>
I never said that I accept everything that Stack's says or does. I don't believe that I could say that about anybody.
However, I must ask, is there any specific item in the catalogue that you care to question the authenticity of? If so, please identify the lot number.
As an active participant in the Ford vs. The World debates for over 25 years, I must commend the judicious editing that the collection has undergone prior to being catalogued. It would be a gross injustice to condemn the items that are in the catalogue on the basis of items that are not in the catalogue.
TD >>
It's not an ingot, but Stack's is right in their skepticism on lot 3083. "ACS" stands for the American Chemical Society in this case. I don't know anything more about the item though.
Ed. S.
(EJS)