Home Metal Detecting
Options

By far my best day detecting ever!!!

My 10yr old son and I went out detecting today.
I get a strong signal and out comes a 1897 Barber quarter.
Like every detectorist knows, always check the hole again. So I check again and get another
strong signal. Now I'm really excited because I know it's going to be another coin. Hard to see
in the pic but it's a 1902 Barber half with a 1902 Barber dime on top of it.
So I put the quarter back in the hole with the half and dime and take a picture of my finds
for all to see.
I decide to check the hole again and you guessed it another signal. This time its a 1892 Barber
dime.
So I keep checking the whole and find some garbage. Putting it together back home it looks
like the remnants of a coin purse.
So here they are. The closest find to a coin cache that I'll probably ever experience. I still
have butterflies.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUTSTANDING!!!!! Now that is a thrill with embedded thrills.... very cool. Thanks for sharing and the great pictures. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, cool find

I'm sure someone has been looking for that all thier lives

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    What a great find. I love it that your son was with you thats just priceless.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Great discoveries! 4 barbers in one day would be hard to top. Kinda neat you were also able to piece together the outline of the change purse. image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really a neat find and nice that you had your camera to get a shot to remember.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way how did you find a spot like this? You must have done some background work.
  • Options
    GREAT find!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Pictures tell so much but I'm wondering why you are searching a brusy hillside? You must have done some researching. What state are you in? Rich
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭

<< <i>By the way how did you find a spot like this? You must have done some background work. >>

Your right I have done alot of researching on this area. What first brought me to its attention was talking to a local historian who told me it was a spot where a battle took place between the Dakota and Cheyenne. So I initially started hunting for relics and on my first day I found a 1915 barber quarter ( earlier this spring) . Since then I've also found a barber half, two IH pennies and then todays find. I have seen old pics of the area in the early 1900's and it is not brushy like it is now. I try to go where others md'rs have not. So I tend to stay away of playgrounds, beaches and such. I dont care for modern clad much unless I havent found anything in awhile and just need a fix. Anyway 90% of my hunting has been in the woods this year and has paid off.
  • Options
    Amazing!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Sweet!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Good job of putting it all together into a good story!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the area used to be a "lovers lane",
    some guy took a girl there at night,
    they had an argument,
    she ran off without her purse,
    and couldn't locate it again.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    The shadow reveals a bridge of some sort, is there water where it would have been popular to swim there?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i>The shadow reveals a bridge of some sort, is there water where it would have been popular to swim there? >>

You guys are pretty good at noticing things. Yes there is a walking bridge that spans a water fall. I could submit a sattelite photo if your interested in what the terrain looks like. My son and I are going to be heading back out there in a few min.
  • Options
    Great condition too!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWESOME!!!!

That's terrific! It is indeed the remains of an old coin purse! I found one once, but there were no coins in it!

Great post, and awesome action pics!

Thanks for posting, and congratulations!

By the way, that counts as a "cache", and can be entered as a single find on the monthly awards, so you have a really good chance of sewing up the Best US Coin award, even though it is for more than one coin!

(Or at least you have a chance of giving The Mighty Phut some competition...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That is really cool...I bet those have been in the ground around 100 years....I love that!!!
  • Options
    Now that is a sweet day!!
    Nice going on the barber's and HH,Tom
  • Options
    WadeWade Posts: 41 ✭✭
    WOW!

I'm jealous!
    Hey... sit on it!
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. image
  • Options
    Holy Moses what a sweet find! Your heart must have been thumping like mad with each discovery!! Just goes to prove that research pays off image Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    wow
  • Options
    FANTASTIC!! Thanks for sharing...
    kevinimage
  • Options
    wow!....you lucky dog you!....wtg!...nice recovery....hh

p.s. are you from maine by chance?....i went to high school with a dave f,. and while i know theres more than one dog named spot, i am curious....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>wow!....you lucky dog you!....wtg!...nice recovery....hh

p.s. are you from maine by chance?....i went to high school with a dave f,. and while i know theres more than one dog named spot, i am curious....hh >>

No not from Maine. Actually never been there, yet.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice group of silver, and great job of sticking with it to find the purse parts!!