Home Metal Detecting

First semi-interesting find...

I think I finally found something kind of cool. It looks like an earring, and it's not magnetic, so there's a chance it may have something interesting in it. I found it right before I was getting to my car to go back to work. I also found a gas key, a car wash token, and another token with a scary looking clown on it. I'll post it later.

imageimage
If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.

Comments

• I think that is a good start!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • That is interesting. Could possibly be an older earring.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • I think it looks more like some type of clasp. I wonder if it was part of a chain or bracelet?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.. are you still investigating? Let us know if you identify it... thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly subscribe to the earring theory.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I'm thinking it's an earring too, but I was wondering how anyone could hang something that heavy from an ear. My wife tells me that older women can get their piercings stretched out from wearing heavy stuff. I'm wondering it's old, though... I'll keep looking. By the way, it's twice as long as a Roosevelt dime. The picture on the left looks like a Klingon or Orc would wear it, don't you think?
  • That is a nice earring I found one a few year's ago with the same type of backing on it.

HH,Tom
  • I may be completely wrong, but I just don't see that as an earring. A clasp of some kind yes, an earring....No chance! It's simply too cumbersome to be an earring. If you look at the clasp it is far too large and appears to be too heavy for an ear lobe. It'll be interesting to uncover what ever it is though!
    Be Still and Know
  • Put me in the earring group....I've seen some similar to that...its old though.....
  • Is it hollow and has a flat surface? Maybe it was on the top edge of some kind of jewelry box and the little loop would swing down over the edge and latch around a little knob. It looks like it would hang weird if it was any kind of earring. It doesn't have the hook to go through an ear hold either.
    I think it's a copy of an ancient Roman or Greek type of earring, which might be why it looks strange.

I could be wrong on that, of course, but it has that classical sort of look to it, somehow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>It doesn't have the hook to go through an ear hold either. >>

That's because it's a clasp-type earring, not the kind made for pierced ears.

(Assuming the earring theory is correct in the first place.)

• phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Very interesting!!
    If it has been in the ground for any length of time, I'd guess that it's made of silver and gold.
  • If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.
  • Sorry about the blank. Operator error. On the interior portion of the conical end it says 18K sterling. The gold band is definitely separate from the silver portion, so maybe that's the 18K portion... There's also a design of some sort that I can't quite make out. I'm trying to figure out how to copy what's ever inside to see if I can find a name or symbol that will help me identify it.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    What about a pendant?

Looks a little like a torch doesn't it?

• Hmmm.... I hadn't thought of that. It does look remarkably like a torch.