Home Sports Talk
Options

Derek Jeter: at age 33 more hits than Pete Rose

Jose Reyes can't carry Derek Jeter's and Jimmy Rollin's Jock Straps. image I'd rather have the Captain on my team any day! And Rollins will probably win the NL MVP.

I am so sick and tired of people saying Derek Jeter is overrated. The guy has more hits than Pete Rose had at his age. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeter plays well into his 40's and demolishes Rose's Hits record. Jeter loves the game and I could see him becoming a DH when he is in his 40's. The guy is is already 4th on the Yankees All Time Hit List
and will surpass Mickey Mantle and perhaps Babe Ruth to move into 3rd or 2nd on the list next season. Rarified air indeed!!!!

And Jeter is not clutch. Tell that to Curt Schilling and the Red Sox this past Sunday night. He has done this year in and year out both in the regular season and the post-season.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

Comments

• Options
    A shortstop who hits for .300 and less than 15 home runs a year is a nice place, but an all time great? That I don't know about. If he's not a member of 4 world series teams are we having this same conversation? Probably not. And as far as beating Rose? He's nearly 2000 hits away! And to demolish the record? What, 2200 more hits (which is what would be needed, I think, to be considered 'demolishing' the record) is more hits than all but 150 players have ever gotten in their careers, and you think he'll be able to nearly double his hit total from age 33 on?

And as far as the DH goes? A DH needs to hit for power. Something Jeter has never done. This isn't a knock against him, he just can't hit the long ball.

Finally, the 'clutch' argument? Clutch doesn't exist. It's a figment of the imagination where the great is remembered and failing is forgotten.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful anaysis Shearon .... as usual with anything NY.

I am not one to start ra ra threads but since you predictably jumped on Jeter I have to smack ya around.

Jeter has a career .317 average. You DO NOT round down an average by 17 points and call him a .300 hitter.

Jeter has 2,341 hits and no matter how that stacks up to Pete Rose who hit a TON less homeruns then Jeter does and a TON less stolen bases then Jeter ....suddenly the HR is so important image..... at Derek's age 2,341 hits is pretty damn impressive.

Pete Rose the Outfielder/2nd baseman/3rd basemen/ first basemen averaged 6 1/2 home runs per year. You are going to get on Jeter for MORE THEN DOUBLING THAT?

Pete Rose is a TON closer to being a .300 hitter at .303.

And Jeter needs EXACTLY 1,915 hits to equal Rose.
    Jeter would have to average 200 hits for the next 9.5 seasons to get there. Not bloody likely but if Jeter stays healthy he certainly could reach 3,500 - 4,000 hits with MANY more homeruns than Pete Rose

. INSTANT FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER. And finally, YOU CAN'T take away Jeter's 4 rings. He was a big part in the reason the Yankees won 4 rings. Sorry, you just don't take away things that actually happened to help your "arguement"

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    softparade, GREAT analysis. I would have said the same but I don't respond directly to trolls and figured someone else would take the resident troll to the woodshed.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Jeter is certainly not overrated. Not sure if he is going to break Rose's mark, but he should finish with close to 3500 hits or more. Jeter is also one of a handful of players that I would love to have in a clutch situation.

Big Jeter fan, not so much a fan of the Yanks.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeter is definitely NOT overrated. He is one heckuva ballplayer and a great ambassador for the game.
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    not being a yankee fan but i follow baseball closely

derek jeter is not only a great palyer but a great leader. i think he could retire tommorrow and still make the hall of fame. there is a lot more to baseball and baseball players than stats.

special player come along and derek jeter (along with a-rod) is one of them. in case your a yankee hater you really can't say anything bad about jeter. i enjoy watching him play.

....fab4.......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even a Red Sox fan/Yankee hater such as myself agrees that Jeter is in NO WAY overated. The guy is a class act and a phenominal baseball player. First ballot HOF'er 100%
  • Options
    Jeter is one of the best players in the game, any team would kill to have him at shortstop. Another solid year from a future HOF'er.
  • Options
    Jeter is a great player no doubt, but he is still the 2nd best shortstop on his team.

Jeter great Arod better.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options

<< <i>Awful anaysis Shearon .... as usual with anything NY. >>

Awful spelling as usual softy.

<< <i>I am not one to start ra ra threads but since you predictably jumped on Jeter I have to smack ya around. >>

Uhm I didn't 'jump on' Jeter, simply stated there's an ice cube's chance in hell of his beating Rose's mark (which was said he could 'demolish').

<< <i>Jeter has a career .317 average. You DO NOT round down an average by 17 points and call him a .300 hitter. >>

Oh my god I dared to defile the almighty Jeter...how will my life ever be the same?

<< <i> Jeter has 2,341 hits and no matter how that stacks up to Pete Rose who hit a TON less homeruns then Jeter does and a TON less stolen bases then Jeter ....suddenly the HR is so important image..... at Derek's age 2,341 hits is pretty damn impressive. >>

Jeter is hitting home runs in an era where they are flying out at record rates...of COURSE he should hit a ton more. Again, my point of contention was that somehow, someway he's going to double his hit total from age 33 on?

<< <i>Pete Rose the Outfielder/2nd baseman/3rd basemen/ first basemen averaged 6 1/2 home runs per year. You are going to get on Jeter for MORE THEN DOUBLING THAT? >>

Uhm...I was talking about hits in comparison to Rose, not HRs. But again, we are in a completely different era of power numbers: smaller ballparks, more (and worse) pitchers, etc. etc. He SHOULD be hitting more home runs.

<< <i> Pete Rose is a TON closer to being a .300 hitter at .303. >>

So will Jeter when all is said and done. Remember, Pete played till he was 45 and had a good number of sub .300 years after he hit 40. If Jeter plays that long, he'll suffer the same.

<< <i>And Jeter needs EXACTLY 1,915 hits to equal Rose.
    Jeter would have to average 200 hits for the next 9.5 seasons to get there. Not bloody likely but if Jeter stays healthy he certainly could reach 3,500 - 4,000 hits with MANY more homeruns than Pete Rose >>

So all you're saying is he needs 5 more 200 hit seasons, after he's hit age 33, than he's had in his career to this point. Yeah, that's going to happen. And what's the fascination with Pete Rose's home runs (or lack thereof)?

<< <i>. INSTANT FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER. And finally, YOU CAN'T take away Jeter's 4 rings. He was a big part in the reason the Yankees won 4 rings. Sorry, you just don't take away things that actually happened to help your "arguement" >>

Who said he wasn't a first ballot HoFer? Who tried to take away his 4 rings? I simply theorized if he didn't have them if we'd be having this conversation.

Look, I know it's impossible for the blind, rabid yankee fans to ever think critically when it comes to Jeter, but to think he has even a remote chance at breaking the all time hits record is pure folly. He's 33, played 12 seasons of baseball, and would need to nearly double his hit total to break the record. To consider some team would install Jeter as their DH when he's never hit for any amount of power is silly. To consider that he has any chance of breaking the all time hits record is silly as well.

Slap me around? Hardly. Maybe in your mind where Jeter is infallible and the yankees never lose, perhaps. But in this place called 'reality', your arguments stink of biased and blind fandom.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Who said he wasn't a first ballot HoFer? Who tried to take away his 4 rings? I simply theorized if he didn't have them if we'd be having this conversation.
    >>

yeah, and IF there was no sun it would be night time 24/7 image Your theory is crap

Glad you took the time to feebly answer every comment I made. image

I am sorry that rabid and blind Yankee haters are so deep in hatred that they blab out silly silly theories. With any luck Jeter will continue his great career and make a mockery of haters like you image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    What 'silly' theory am I suggesting? What, that Jeter *won't* break the all time hits record? Can you please explain how that theory is silly? What, because he needs *just* 9 more 200 hit seasons to break the record? Hey guy, he only has 5 of those 200 hit season in his career.

Jeter's had a fantastic career, with tons of accomplishments - breaking the all time hits record, however, will not be one of them.

If that suggestion is 'silly', well I don't know what to tell you.
  • Options

<< <i>What 'silly' theory am I suggesting? . >>

Would that be the silly one I quoted you on? Indeed

• Options
    softparade,

was this silly too?

===============================================================================================

Sunday August 19, 2007 2:51 PM
    Stitzen

hahahahaha

thank you, I needed a laugh today.

There are currently 5 teams ahead of them, and the yankees have had to play out of their minds to get where they are now...no way they continue at that pace and that 5 teams will win fewer games than the yanks do down the stretch.

Arizona, however, could do it. They are absolutely stacked and are playing the league's best ball

==============================================================================================

You should stop arguing with the guy. He is proven wrong again and again. When Jeter breaks Rose's record+ it will be another slap down.

• Options
    <<The guy is is already 4th on the Yankees All Time Hit List
    and will surpass Mickey Mantle and perhaps Babe Ruth to move into 3rd or 2nd on the list next season. Rarified air indeed!>>

Furthermore, in 2 years at the ripe old age of 35 years, Derek Jeter should surpass Lou Gehrig as #1 on the All Time Yankee Hit list. If anything Jetes is underrated and will be remembered as one of the greatest players who has ever played the game!!!!

• Options

<< <i>Furthermore, in 2 years at the ripe old age of 35 years, Derek Jeter should surpass Lou Gehrig as #1 on the All Time Yankee Hit list. If anything Jetes is underrated and will be remembered as one of the greatest players who has ever played the game!!!! >>

The only ones who care about 'team' records are fans of that team...who honestly gives a crap about team records anyways?

Finally, there's no way in hell that Jeter comes within sniffing distance of 4000 hits, let alone the record...and no, I will *not* be wrong on this.
  • Options
    Save the above post for posterity boys. By that time Troll Boy will probably have gone through 10 more ID's.

• Options

<< <i>Save the above post for posterity boys. By that time Troll Boy will probably have gone through 10 more ID's. >>

Yes save that post for the 100 years its going to take for Jeter to beat 4000 hits.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What was the point of this post, anyway?

Jeter is the third best SS currently in NY (after A-Rod and Reyes) - and Rollins is better than both of them (but not A-Rod). I'm not a Mets fan, but anyone with any sense can see that Reyes is one of the most dynamic players in baseball. Do you not agree?
  • Options
    Wow, all this talk (and I actually like Jeter as a person believe it or not!) about Derek and I am looking at
    the YANKEES HIT LIST---Did anyone else notice anything about that list?

NO YANKEE HAS EVER HAD 3000 hits! WOWSER!

Tony
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeter is definately on pace to break Rose's record, but he still has a long way to go and there is no guarantee that he will make it. He does stand a better chance than most. To say he will not make it at this point is missing the point that he is on pace so far, so it is reasonable to say that he can break the record if he keeps up the pace. Naturally, there will be some drop off, but Rose dropped off too. Jeter also has a well built body, so I can imagine him playing till age 46 or 47. The Yankees will want to keep him because he adds a face to the team and is a fan favorite.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    <<NO YANKEE HAS EVER HAD 3000 hits! WOWSER>>

Yes, that is correct!!!! Absolutely amazing with all of the GREAT players in the storied Yankees franchise. If he stays healthy Derek Jeter will be the first to have 3,000 hits as a Yankee.

• Options
    It's hilarious to see the jeter jock sniffers coming out saying he has a chance to break Rose's record, especially when he won't even get to 4000 hits. What you're asking of Jeter is to simply double his hit total after he turns 33...it's not going to happen, no matter how much you stomp your feet and plug your ears to the facts. Jeter playing until he's 46 or 47? hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha

Some things that Rose did before age 33 that Jeter hasn't? How about 3 batting titles and an MVP? Jeter doesn't have either of those accomplishments.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>who honestly gives a crap about team records anyways? >>

Says the troll with this in her sig line:

"I pity the front-running, bandwagon fan who has no connection to a team, just to a win. They are more consumed with a win than the team, root more for the win than they do the team. It's a pathetic, miserable sports existence."

What a freakin' tool image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Jeter will not break Rose's record. He is a truly awful defensive shortstop, and will only get worse as he gets older; he will not get the ABs to break the record. Remember that Rose played for years after he was a useful ballplayer. I do not think Jeter will do that. Also, it is not clear that he will hit well enough as he ages to DH. A move to the OF would prolong his career.

I love Jeter and had him protected on my fantasy team when he was still in the minors. I wish he played for the Braves. However, he is overrated (great, but overrated). For those who believe he is clutch, please provide stats, not antecdotal evidence.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeter is definitely NOT overrated. He is one heckuva ballplayer and a great ambassador for the game. >>

Steve you wached Pete Rose, is Jeter ANYTHING like Pete Rose? Dirty, grimey hustler? Seems more like a preppy who'll get in the mix every once and a while and get dirty/bloody/etc
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's ok to hate Jeter, he's a Yankee after all, but the guy is one of the best "gamers" in his generation. Bashing Jeter's accomplishments and potential just doesn't recognize the stats for what they are nor does it recognize his leadership and drive. Quality ballplayer that any team would love to have.
  • Options

<< <i>Finally, the 'clutch' argument? Clutch doesn't exist. >>

Too moronic to even debate. The above statement shows a complete lack of understanding of sports in general.
  • Options
    How in the world is Jeter going to play until he's 47? image

Wow - the guy is breaking down already, he's an extremely below-average defensive player (this has been statistically proven over and over and over again, but Jeter-lovers close their eyes to the facts), and can you really name a player that can play SS effectively at the age of 47? How about effectively at 42? Not to mention, keep up his hitting pace at that age?

And, to mention him in the same breath as Pete Rose? That's even more hilarious.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Too moronic to even debate. The above statement shows a complete lack of understanding of sports in general. >>

How do you define clutch?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Too moronic to even debate. The above statement shows a complete lack of understanding of sports in general. >>

How do you define clutch? >>

I'm not going to define it because it's just going to wind up as another senseless debate. Anyone who has played sports and watched sports should know that the concept exists. No disrespect, Mark.
  • Options

<< <i>

No it's not, it shows a more thorough understanding of sports than someone who screams 'He's clutch!!!'

Look, it's easy to remember the great times, how so and so came through huge in a key situation...while failing to remember the many other times that the same player in the same situation failed to produce.

'Clutch' doesn't exist...it only exists in the minds of those unable to remember the bad outings as much as the good.

Jordan is a perfect example...people call him clutch, but he'll be the first to tell you he missed a hell of a lot more shots at the end of games than he made. But all people remember are the times he made it and won.

Jeter is another perfect example...people say how 'clutch' he is in the postseason, but (a) his postseason batting average nearly mirrors his regular season numbers, and (b) he's been in the postseason 10+ years in a row, so the number of times he's perceived to have come up 'clutch' due to the increased exposure of TV would suggest he's somehow has an innate ability to somehow raise his game in certain situations.

A fantastic article that represents the facts can be found here.. The key summation? Clutch performances do indeed exist, clutch players do not.
  • Options
    <<Wow - the guy is breaking down already>>

Yeah he really was a broken down man when he hit 3 Run Homer off of the Mouth of the East last week.

• Options

<<and can you really name a player that can play SS effectively at the age of 47>>

Re-read my 1st post. I said later in his career he could DH. Hell, he could even play 1B.

At age 33 Jeter is already a a few hundred hits away from Ted Williams who is #2 on the All-Time Red Sox list:

All-Time Red Sox Hit Leaders

Typical Red Sox or Yankee Hater jealousy. ROFL. I really admire guys like perkdog who are truly unbiased.

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Derek Jeter is a HOF caliber, if not already electable player. Catching Rose is a crystal ball prediction, but do not diminish his accomplishments.
    Wondo

• Options

<< <i>
    Re-read my 1st post. I said later in his career he could DH. Hell, he could even play 1B.
    >>

Yeah, let's put a guy with NO power whatsoever at DH or 1B, that would make a TON of sense...and you dare to call other people biased? You'd have to be truly blind to think that a guy who averages 15 home runs in his prime would be a viable 1B or DH at 40. Thanks for the chuckle anyways.

<< <i>At age 33 Jeter is already a a few hundred hits away from Ted Williams who is #2 on the All-Time Red Sox list: >>

Tell me again, oh wise one, how many years did Jeter lose serving his country? What's that? None you say? No wonder mr. overrated is catching up to him...Williams lost several seasons IN HIS PRIME to serve his country...something pretty boy jeter would never think of doing.

<< <i>Typical Red Sox or Yankee Hater jealousy. ROFL. I really admire guys like perkdog who are truly unbiased. >>

Hardly 'jealousy' when all you do is point out facts:

Look, seated, why don't you just admit that Jeter's had a great career but he has no shot in hell at catching Rose? Jesus christ man the more you post the more desperate you get. Daring to compare Jeter to Ted Williams? Are you friggin' insane?
  • Options
    Fact: Jeter is on pace to have 3,000 Hits by the time he is 36 years of age. Things that make Jeter haters turn Beet Red in the night. ROFL.

• Options

<< <i>Fact: Jeter is on pace to have 3,000 Hits by the time he is 36 years of age. Things that make Jeter haters turn Beet Red in the night. ROFL. >>

No it doesn't you clown.

What makes dope haters laugh is the mere suggestion that Jeter is going to have a shot to 'demolish' Pete's unbreakable hits record.

And please, post a retraction where you dared to mention Ted Williams in the same breath as Jeter...it's obvious you forgot that Williams risked his life for his country in time of war...
  • Options
    << Fact: Jeter is on pace to have 3,000 Hits by the time he is 36 years of age. Things that make Jeter haters turn Beet Red in the night. ROFL

No it doesn't you clown.>>

imageimage

• Options
    What's the matter, seated?

Unable to put together a coherent response to your BS about comparing Jeter to Williams, and failing to take into account Williams' time served in the military? So instead of admitting 'yeah you're right I forgot about that' you start posting emoticons?

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Jeter wont play nearly long enough to break the hit record. The Ted Williams comparison is just silly, he missed 5 years and would have easily amassed 800 or more hits, and another 150 Homers, but regardless of that he walked a ton more than Jeter and is an infinitely better hitter/slugger.

On the other hand...

Jeter has put up very consistent numbers in the post season, having several clutch hits and superb defensive plays, he has essentially played a full season's worth of games in the post season since his rookie year. He played phenomenonally well in the World Series, winning the MVP in 2000. He is a key to all their W.S. wins and their continued success since.
  • Options
    I must have missed the insane comment in this thread (and I don't care to go back and read through three pages of Jeter drivel) but did someone actually mention Jeter in the same breath as Ted Williams?

Now I know this topic is dead. Stick a fork in it, please.
  • Options

<< <i>I must have missed the insane comment in this thread (and I don't care to go back and read through three pages of Jeter drivel) but did someone actually mention Jeter in the same breath as Ted Williams?

Now I know this topic is dead. Stick a fork in it, please. >>

Yes it was mentioned by the mentally unstable that Jeter was a few hundred hits away from Williams, and that's why Sox fans are so angry with Jeter.

• Options
    Jeter and Yankee Haters so silly:

Hits at Age 33:

Derek Jeter: 2343
    Pete Rose: 2337

Jeter has a cleaner lifestyle and might play longer than Rose. We all know about Rose's problems.

===============================================================================================

Derek Jeter

Year Hits
    ==== ====
    1995 12
    1996 183
    1997 190
    1998 203
    1999 219
    2000 201
    2001 191
    2002 191
    2003 156
    2004 188
    2005 202
    2006 214
    2007 193
    ===== ====
    Total 2343

Pete Rose:

Year Hits
    ==== ====
    1963 170
    1964 139
    1965 209
    1966 205
    1967 176
    1968 210
    1969 218
    1970 205
    1971 192
    1972 198
    1973 230
    1974 185
    ===== ====
    Total 2337

• Options

<< <i><<Wow - the guy is breaking down already>>

Yeah he really was a broken down man when he hit 3 Run Homer off of the Mouth of the East last week. >>

We all know Jeter's place. A bunch of comments by internet turds certainly won't ever change that as Jeter continues his great career.

Jerry makes some of the strangest comments of any of the Sox fans. Whether it is Jeter or something else he makes comments that tells one of two things.

1. Either he is the most blind Sox fan in the Northeast who drinks more Sox koolaide then any Yankee fan could ever gulp down
    2. Or he is just dumb to the game of baseball.

I tend to believe it is number 1. Just picture the koolaide guy with a big "B" on the pitcher of koolaide and that would be Jerry imageimage

• Options
    Seated-

You really are pathetic...instead of enjoying jeter's career, enjoying the world championships, now you're pinning 'he's gonna break the all time hits record' on him?

Good god man, you yankee fans are unreal - nothing is ever good enough.

To say he's going to play 'well into his 40s' is as moronic a thing as I've seen posted here - even more moronic to say he'd play until he's 47!

WTF?

• Options
    <<To say he's going to play 'well into his 40s' is as moronic a thing as I've seen posted here - even more moronic to say he'd play until he's 47!>>

Troll, where did I ever say anywhere in this thread that Jeter would play until 47 years old?

One a piece of work you truly are. I know you are a Fair Weather fan and Bandwagonner but a least you can make a visit to your Marinated thread every few days to show at least a miniscule support for your team.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No it's not, it shows a more thorough understanding of sports than someone who screams 'He's clutch!!!'

Look, it's easy to remember the great times, how so and so came through huge in a key situation...while failing to remember the many other times that the same player in the same situation failed to produce.

'Clutch' doesn't exist...it only exists in the minds of those unable to remember the bad outings as much as the good.

Jordan is a perfect example...people call him clutch, but he'll be the first to tell you he missed a hell of a lot more shots at the end of games than he made. But all people remember are the times he made it and won.

Jeter is another perfect example...people say how 'clutch' he is in the postseason, but (a) his postseason batting average nearly mirrors his regular season numbers, and (b) he's been in the postseason 10+ years in a row, so the number of times he's perceived to have come up 'clutch' due to the increased exposure of TV would suggest he's somehow has an innate ability to somehow raise his game in certain situations.

A fantastic article that represents the facts can be found here.. The key summation? Clutch performances do indeed exist, clutch players do not. >>

you point out that his postseason batting average nearly mirrors his regular season numbers, but consider this, batting .300 is getting a hit 3 out of 10 times up - simple math, clutch is getting those "3" hits when men are on base, when your team is down and desperately needs a baserunner, hitting a walk off homer, a double in the gap with a runner on, those 3 hits might be just 3 hits out of 10 when compared to the regular season, but anyone who watches and actually understands baseball knows exactly what clutch is, Jeter is, Big Papi is (manny isn't), Pujols is, Bonds isn't, Brett was, Molitor was, Yount was.

all .300 averages are not created equal
  • Options
    Correctamundo