Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sep07

Saturday Sept. 1st.
Went back to the site that I found the baseball thing and seated half dime last month.
I parked in a different spot and walked the tracks this time so I wouldn't get stuck with a woods walk after sunset.
The tracks are near impossible to detect on, or near. Strictly coin mode, and there are still a lot of false signals from the spent coal. It's fun looking for insulators though. Lots of fragments, a few slightly damaged, and my second complete piece from this set of tracks.

Still a lot of relics to be found there,

and a coin or two. This one must have benn dropped early and landed face down. She still has some mint luster on the obv.
My first type 1. 1917 US

Comments

• Options
    Good Stuff ! ! !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That SL quarter is sure good looking.
  • Options
    First SL Quarter I have seen in a long time...

Nice finds!
  • Options
    your of to a good start for sept....nice finds...keep em coming...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice SLQ... and other finds. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Great quarter!
  • Options
    i like the shoe buckle and suspender buckle. i always wonder how someone could loose those type of things. to me they add to a mental picture of type of people who existed on a particular property way back then.
  • Options
    Man, that SLQ looks great. Nice find!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Excellent finds. I wish I could find some more old coins.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Thank you for the replies.
    The SLQ cleaned up nice. I mixed soft soap with water in a rounded plastic container(so the flats could make no contact) and swished it around for about an hour. All dirt gone, and good luster on both surfaces.

<< <i>..they add to a mental picture of type of people who existed on a particular property way back then >>

My favorite part of detecting is painting a mental picture of of what used to be there 100 to 400 years ago. On two sites that would be 100 to 12,000 years ago.

Labor day weekend finds.
    Sunday
    Went back to the Morgan dollar/ Seated dimes site. I thought I picked it clean, but it has yet to give me a skunk.

F, V't H Sterling thing. The spring was steel and rusted away. A friend suggested it may be a sweater clip, but since I don't know what a sweater clip is I'll have to give the piece a ???. Anyone have old jewelry knowledge?

Crusty large cent.

General service Eagle button.

Monday

Colonial roach clip? It still needs a bath.

1798 Large cent.

Crusty large cent.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds with the large cents as well, wow 1798 image
  • Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Those finds are great. I really like the coins. Looks like you've got some great places to hunt
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, that does it.

I gotta get up there and traipse around your Yankee dirt.

But I wonder when I could finagle the time off...

The engraving on your mysterious "sweater clip" is definitely 19th century. I would have guessed early 19th century but for the manufacturer's marks inside, which place it later. 1880s-1890s would be my guess. Maybe as late as the first decade of the 20th century.

I still don't know what it is, but maybe it's a sterling silver relative of this brass 1880 clasp I found, but then again, maybe not. My little clasp-doodad looks as though it was made to hang on a wire or string. Maybe it was designed to be permanently attached to a clothesline, instead of clothespins? But it's kinda small for that. Anyway, yours is silver and so "sweater clip" sounds as good a theory to me as anything else.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lol...colonial roach clip....too funny....nice digs........hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Got out yesterday for the first time in a week. Had a staging plank break while I was on it. Could barely climb stairs, let alone walk to any of my sites. Still hoppy, but was able to hit some easy crop fields.
    Only find of note is the tiny, complete, porcelain doll.
  • Options
    Geeze Tim you must have wracked up your back pretty bad!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    I damaged my knee, Mary. I found out today that it's not ready for one of my normal hunts. I tried anyway, and will pay for it tonight.
    Went back to one of my 'no skunk' sites and found three new hot spots.
    Seven IHCs, a seated dime, and a lantern top were found in a 4 foot circle. Must have found a campsite.
    The rest was within a quarter mile.

Not One Cent for Tribute 1842? Needs a bath.

1877 US dime

177? British

Cufflink?

1901O US dime

Used to be a silver coin.

??? STAR- H R & H
  • Options
    DON"T OVER DO IT!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... some spot you have.... a real 'glory hole'... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I took Jerry's advice and didn't over do it. 5 days off and the knee felt good, so I spent Sunday exploring some woods I've been eyeballing for a couple years.
    The hills are nice and open, but the wetlands between are brutal. Peat bogs, dense undergrowth, and briars everywhere. It took more than a half hour to cross a hundred yard patch....twice(four times counting the return trip.
    I got to the hills across the swamp from one of my other sites and started following stone bounds. I soon stumbled on a small cellar hole and made an outward spiral around the small hill it was on. Nuttin'... not even a cut nail. So I walk over to the next large hill and start seeing remnants of foundations all over. Six total, and a ten foot deep, uncovered well. Sweet looking site.
    I'm swinging away, digging everything that moves the meter as I walk toward the stacked chunks of granite. Soon a pattern develops. Every second or third shotgun shell is real easy to dig. I get to one of the cellar holes and I see the dreaded chunks of large iron laid out on top of one of the large rocks. Someone beat me to the site, and they left the garbage in the holes that they dug before filling them back in. GRRRRR.
    Most of these finds were dug along the nightmare walk to and from the site.

The first two were found close to the well.
    Rooster brooche

Thin bronze Colonist Vs. Indian thing

Found on a high and dry spot.
    177? British copper

Low and wet spot.
    Liberty Cap type US 1794 plus or minus a year or two. I really wish this and George had swapped positions.

Only silver of the trek.
    Modern Canadian dime.

A couple of the better looking buttons.
  • Options
    The rest.
    23rd
    Notice the boot rivets still attached to leather. I find a lot of these, but the leather is usually long gone.

Some kind of locket. Empty.

1890 US dime

29th

Early Navy button. NA 13 I think.

30th
    I was hoping for a killer find on the last day of September. I hit my 'no skunk' site, hard. Nuttin killer, but still no skunk there.

I find a lot of IHCs, but very few are worthy of a post. Most are corroded slugs, but this one cleaned up nice.
    1864 US
  • Options
    awesome finds phut...keep em coming!...yeah, like i need to tell you...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Mother of Guacamole, dude, you suck.

Izzat 1864 IHC an 1864-L, by any chance? Or is it even a bronze one? It has the round bust, I think, which means... ehh... I forget.

I can tell you that this one does NOT date from the 1770s, since it is George II. This means it predates 1760.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.