Home Metal Detecting
Options

Moosehead!

I'm off to Moosehead, one of the most beautiful & pristine areas of Maine. I'll be camping with 15 of my closest friends image on the Rockport side of the lake and hope to have a few minutes here and there to md around the camp area. I'll also be heading up to Kukadjo (Lily Bay area) for some moose hunting (camera only!) and will try to md there as well.

See everyone in about a week! Mary
Be Still and Know

Comments

• Options
    Have fun on your trip.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Good luck! Find something good.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ah! did you mean rockwood?.....rockwood me. one of my favorite places in the whole world.....i spent some time at kineo when i was younger....got a hole in one on the 5th hole at kineo in "96"....my brother and i used to spend time up there looking for pristine places to catch trout....ahhhhh the good old days....hope you have a great trip mary.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Good luck Mary!
    Mmmmm Moose tracks.
  • Options
    I spent my Labor Day weekend (fri, sat., sun., and mon.) at Big Duck Cove. We put the boat in ay Rockwood and went 10 miles up the north end of the lake to camp for those days. The boys went water skiing and had a great time. The weather turned windy on Monday and the boat was overloaded. Huge waves crashed across the bow and I drove deep twice taking on some water. Another boat nearby took 4 of my passengers and we were fine after that.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    it can get pretty rough on that lake laserart......sounds like a good time was had by all......since moving to florida i've been spoiled by the warm waters and tropical weather....what was the water temp of good ole moosehead?....my brother and i used to swim across the moose river behind the rockwood general store and swing like tarzan on the rope swing, ahhhhhh ah ah ahhhhhhhh!....i miss that place....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my brother and i used to swim across the moose river behind the rockwood general store and swing like tarzan on the rope swing, ahhhhhh ah ah ahhhhhhhh!....i miss that place....hh >>

Sounds like my kinda place. We had a swimming hole in the river on my grandfather's place in North Carolina that had low rock cliffs on one side, a sandy beach on the other, and a rope swing. The water was thirty feet deep there, crystal clear, and pure joy on a summer day. On the hottest day of summer, the water temp was fifty-four degrees. I know this 'cause I took a floating aquarium thermometer in with me one day.

Man, I miss that place.

We called it the Meese Hole. Moose, Meese, well there you have it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>it can get pretty rough on that lake laserart......sounds like a good time was had by all......since moving to florida i've been spoiled by the warm waters and tropical weather....what was the water temp of good ole moosehead?....my brother and i used to swim across the moose river behind the rockwood general store and swing like tarzan on the rope swing, ahhhhhh ah ah ahhhhhhhh!....i miss that place....hh >>

I don't know what the water temperature was but when the boys jumped off the back of the boat and resurfaced they were trying to get their breath back again.
    By the way, that rope swing is still there and used by the locals regularly. There is also a bunch of "shipt pokes" (you know the ones) that perch in that tree now and the rope gets a bit sticky.
  • Options
    darn shipt pokes!.....ever detect kineo laserart?.....might be some good finds there?...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I almost brought the md with me and was going to use it on the beach at Big Duck Cove but forgot it at home. We didn't get over to Pebble Beach at Kineo either. I would think there would be a mountain of trash there and that would be discouraging.
  • Options
    Let's see, despite the extreme cold temps over a few nights, I seem to be none the worse for wear. image In all actuality the weather was very cooperative, and only two night did it drop below "omg can it get any colder in this tent?" The answer was yes, it can! The company however, was warm & gracious, the food plentiful and the flow of alcohol was, well....Enough to keep frost bite at bay!

While I didn't find much of note on this trip, I did find a first. I found a military button! There is some writing on the back, but until I get it cleaned up I really can't read it well enough to see what it says. The face depicts the same American eagle as can be found on the back of our one dollar bills. It's most likely came off a coat of some kid, in 2005. image

I also found, from above and below the ground, a total of $48.90. Above the ground I found a Megabucks ticket that won $12.00, and lone dollar bill on the floor of a coffee shop. And something I thought I'd never do is feed a scratch ticket machine in a grocery store. But as I leaving a store on an ice run, I saw a "Money Bags" scratch ticket in a machine. So, I threw in the only one dollar bill I had and TWENTY ONE tickets came out!!! Those 21 tickets produced $30.00. image Yay! The balance of $5.90 (plus the button) came from under the ground. The oldest coin was a 1964 clad penny.

Overall I had a fun filled vacation and now I look forward to one last camping trip in October. I'm heading up to Rangley Lake for a three day weekend. Brrrrrrrr!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    >>last camping trip in October. I'm heading up to Rangley Lake for a three day weekend. Brrrrrrrr!!! <<

Find one of these: Jon-e Handwarmers (Giant size)
    http://store.scottsbt.com/701-Giant-Handwarmer-P12C32.aspx?UserID=421922&SessionID=2fqYM5bRVYxW9CRyKJMi

Just do It.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It gets cold early up there...used to hunt northern Maine... Jackman.... Can get down right frosty. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    From Dubba: ah! did you mean rockwood?.....

Yes I did lol Sometimes I don't think before I type image

Jerry, those catylitic hand warmers look interesting. I was thinking about a Coleman catylitic heater for the tent. But then I thought that might be cheating. Then again...NAH! It gets very chilly in Maine by the end of September, beginning of October!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Mary, a tip from the wise. Get yourself a fleece sweatshirt with a hood to wear to bed at night. You just can't imagine the difference in the comfort level when wearing the hood.