Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old all-white NGC slabs recently acquired.(Careful OLD 2007 Thread!)

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2021 11:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum
Sometimes buy the plastic not the coin!

This is the second NGC slab made after they discontinued their initial black slabs. The first all-white NGC slabs had the NGC logo on the inside insert as opposed to the outside of the holder.

This slab and insert was made for barely one month in 1987. This one and her even rarer sister (with the NGC hotpressed logo on the inside) is probably almost as rare as the PCGS Regency holders which is second only to the NGC black holders which has become nearly legendary in their scarcity.

Note that the white NGC insert is just a plain piece of white paper!

Try to find these! Almost impossible!

This 1895-S $20 should be graded just where it is at MS-60 or even AU-58 from a technical grading standard. It does have some rub on the cheek mixed with awesome oldtime luster and original toning. Now has green sticky. CAC green sticker

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Hi Oreville,

I have one acquired from a Heritage auction in May... this is no doubt a candidate for an upgrade but I am leaving it in the old holder, it's a neat coin. Not quite the same as yours as it has a printed label and not the plain white piece of paper, but it does have the embossed ngc gold lettering on the back. No doubt not as rare as yours but desirable nevertheless.

John

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    I've seldom seen the black holders and this is the first all white holder I've ever seen! Very cool and learned something new too. image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No line fatties are pretty cool.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like coin holders.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Andy has got the right idea.

Bring back all the original packaging that you can find.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Oreville,

I have one acquired from a Heritage auction in May... this is no doubt a candidate for an upgrade but I am leaving it in the old holder, it's a neat coin. Not quite the same as yours as it has a printed label and not the plain white piece of paper, but it does have the embossed ngc gold lettering on the back. No doubt not as rare as yours but desirable nevertheless.

John

image >>

Beautiful! image
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely some Holder Envy as someone on EBay about 6 months ago was trying to sell just the crack-out NGC Black slab from a common date $20 ms62 Saint.... Asking $800 B.I.N. Coin Not Included!!!

There was also a MS62 NGC Black slab 1914-P MS $10 Indian at Heritage about 6 mos ago, which was a nice coin for the grade (a bit bright)... yet it fetched well over $4300.

Right now I'm watching a 1888-o ms61 $10 OGH on Ebay, as it's being promoted for being upgradable and looks like a really nice coin from the scans at the grade. Low mintage with a nice strike, clean with a nice reverse. 19 bidders heading into ms62 price territory... as the OGH force is strong. I would expect the OGH Magic to consume them as if the coin has a left point in it the last few minutes should be hot-n-sweaty crazed bidding action and fun to watch.

Almost as much fun as the Ebay'R's who buy the Generic Third World Graded problem AU coins in ms66 holders... these folks would buy authentic looking Gold Foil chocolate US coins in generic slabs if the Insert Numerical Grades where high.

The Power of the Holder... is in the eye of the Beholder!

Text
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Here is a 1906 NGC AU-58 $10 gold piece I also acquired from the same collection.

Awesome coin! Undipped, old gold patina on this coin. Old time technical grading. You gotta love it. Cracking out? Not as long as I can have anything to do with it. Sticker candidate? Sure, why not? It does not mess with the old slab.

Yet this failed stickering from CAC only because the bag mark was big enough for JA to not label it solid for the grade. Whoa, JA can sometimes be very tough.

In my view, this coin should be technically graded as an MS-61 due to the deep bag mark in the field that is apparent in the picture but in all other respects, this coin is a solid MS-63.

• Options
    Julian and Andy:

<<<<<<<Andy has got the right idea. Bring back all the original packaging that you can find.>>>>>>>>>

I agree completely. Doing so is the same thing in my view as preserving the older slabs. It is part of the same process of "freezing" the package in which the coins were last known to be presented in at some point in time. Obviously, the older and more orriginal the packaging, the better.

• Options
    John/jhdfla:

How can one not be thrilled with your awesomely original 1897 Barber Half dollar? So what if it is not the all white insert? It does have that
    all important hot pressed embossed NGC lettering on the back. Those are getting quite difficult to find in themselves.

Oh sure, too many collectors love the white dipped look but those collectors will in time expand their horizons and appreciate your coin more and more. It just grows on you.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    oreville that 1906 is a true "Beauty". Love the old holders and packaging. Heres some original packaging:

I was born in Wisconin so I couldn't pass on this one when it was listed on the B/S/T.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Very cool Oreville.Great coins in those old slabs.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John/jhdfla:

How can one not be thrilled with your awesomely original 1897 Barber Half dollar? So what if it is not the all white insert? It does have that
    all important hot pressed embossed NGC lettering on the back. Those are getting quite difficult to find in themselves.

Oh sure, too many collectors love the white dipped look but those collectors will in time expand their horizons and appreciate your coin more and more. It just grows on you. >>

Hi Orville,

Great gold you got posted there as well!! The slabs AFAIC are nothing more than a means to protect what's inside. I subscibe to the "myth" that some of the best pieces still do reside in the old holders however. As far as toned pieces like that, I've always liked them since I was introduced to gem material back in the mid-70's, besides their inherent beauty their originality is without question. Realistically, how many silver coins that old or older could be brilliant AND original? There was a time not so long ago when toned pieces did not have the popularity they do nowadays... I wish they didn't, because it makes it all the more difficult to acquire pieces like that.

John
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, NGC really used to be conservative in their grading.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Neat holder.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2021 11:39AM
    Here is another all-white NGC slab I acquired from the same collection. This happens to look MUCH better in person. Looks very close to an MS-64 by todays grading. Also received the coveted gold sticky.
    CAC gold sticker..

• Options
    edited April 3, 2021 1:51PM
    Yet another all-white NGC slab I acquired from the same collection. This looks like an AU-58 in person. Just awarded with a gold sticky.
    CAC gold sticker.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coins all !!!....ah the soap bar image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    some of the gold appears to be technically graded right.
    like the first 20. it has obvious rub on the hair.

but the luster! boom! would bump it up today.

interesting coins. i am sorta sad there was no half eagle.
    that quarter eagle was sharp!
  • Options
    fc: You said:

<<<<some of the gold appears to be technically graded right.

but the luster! boom! would bump it up today.>>>>>>>

I happen to agree with you that this 1895-S $20 (first coin shown) is absolutely graded right at MS-60, even be a candidate for AU-58, but the "rub" is actually on the cheek. The hair is awesome. Strange how the picture makes it look like the rub is on the hair instead of the cheek. Now as far as the luster being boom boom, you nailed it. I never understood it myself why coins with the obvious even slight rub today gets that "bump up" either.

• Options
    Updated as the coins were reviewed.

Results shown along with the pictures.

• Options
    Just thought of a great new business. Professional Slab Grading Service. You dont grade the coin but rather the slab. Crazy stuff ( I think)
  • Options
    jhdfla- that is a beautiful Barber.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    I've been know to buy the plastic, not the coin.............nice find, I likeimage

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like old holders too. This one predates the King of Siam set holder by eight years.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are the results?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are the results? >>

At the end of the descriptions it says something like "awarded a coveted gold sticky".
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know they had a white label too.

I recently got my first 'mostly white' NGC slab, but it does have a brown label and a hologram.

It's a lowly VF-35 quarter eagle. The obverse is in such good condition, you say "no way". Then you flip it over. "Oh, right".

No pictures yet. I've got a heck of a backlog to sort through.

[edit] The dilemma of the gold sticker: Now there is a pressure to crack that cool old slab. Don't do it!!!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right. The way the results were posted made it tough to find them.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold stickers are nice but anyone serious buyer of US gold would likely pay multiple grade points for such coins. The coins sell themselves.

some of the gold appears to be technically graded right.

Most of the hair on the $20 Libs "lookeds rubbed" at first glance but this are typically striking issues for the entire run of Type 3's. You have to go by the luster. One doesn't get booming luster on a $20 Lib and isolated rub spots on the crown of her head or in the curls below the "liberty" band. Even the cheek will be semi-scuffed from bag handling and the luster not as apparent. Again, not really rub imo. Even many MS65's tend to have a light scuff on the cheek from bag handling. Capped bust halves have the exact same issue in MS.

Booming luster with clean fields is the dead give-away on $20 Libs that a flat spot in the hair or on the cheek is almost never mint state limiting "rub." I can remember making this mistake for the first time when I went to view the Eliasberg $20's during the early 1983 sale.
    I graded a slew of incredibly vibrant $20 Libs with smooth fields as MS65+ or 65++ or 64++ due to some minute flat patches with a couple of tics on the cheek where the luster wasn't fully apparent (you know, like on a barber half or Morgan dollar). Well, that was my first introductory course to the fact that $20's aren't graded like similarly sized silver coins. Price-wise I was blown out of the water since I was grading them 1 pt low and using CDN as a guide (lol). Those were some of the finest $20's know to mankind. Many ended up grading out as 66 and 67 when PCGS/NGC came about in 1986-1987. Eliasberg was the first time I really sat down and looked at larger and rarer gold coins in gem.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I made the results a little difficult to find on purpose.

I am not looking to get this thread poofed!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold is nice, but, I just gotta say, CCU...that is a FLIPPIN' FANTASTIC looking 3c piece!
    Way out of my league but GORGEOUS! I was thinking of doing an AU set for the look/value, but I can't find any that I think are worth it. That one, however, even at the much higher grade, would be lovely to stretch for.

Wowzers!

<< <i>image
    image >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    What a great bunch of old gold in rare NGC slabs! Very cool!

-Paul
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Coins tone more easily in the old fat NGC holders, and they don't even fit nicely into the new silver NGC storage boxes, still too tight for my liking.

I send in all my old fat holdered coins for reholder, don't care if they are undergraded or not.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Coins tone more easily in the old fat NGC holders, and they don't even fit nicely into the new silver NGC storage boxes, still too tight for my liking.

I send in all my old fat holdered coins for reholder, don't care if they are undergraded or not. >>

Right. The toning comes from the paper cert tag. In the early or mid 90's NGC changed it so there is a plastic line separating the paper tag from the coin.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Oreville,

John

image >>

Thats one heck of a 63!!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Great looking coins in this thread. image

Grade inflation is a myth....Yeah right.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Oreville,

John

image >>

Thats one heck of a 63!!! >>

careful what you wish for on a regrade, looks proof from the pics
  • Options

i cannot believe how I found this very old thread and more amazing the photos did not get wiped out by the newer PCGS programming.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of NGC 3.0 slabs, which are my personal favorite. <3

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

The advantage of the NGC 3.0 is that they are the very last of the NGC slabs with the collector appreciated gold foil design still impressed on the reverse side but yet still common enough to be acquired without a big premium as well as still conservatively graded.

• Options

@oreville said:

@Walkerfan said:

The advantage of the NGC 3.0 is that they are the very last of the NGC slabs with the collector appreciated gold foil design still impressed on the reverse side but yet still common enough to be acquired without a big premium as well as still conservatively graded.

That’s the reason that I like them; because of the gold foil on the reverse side. They also have colorful labels, which I like better than the solid white labels that are on earlier slabs.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@oreville said:

@Walkerfan said:

That’s the reason that I like them; because of the gold foil on the reverse side. They also have colorful labels, which I like better than the solid white labels that are on earlier slabs.

I partially agree with Walkerfan but as far as keeping an old NGC slab already in my collection I would prefer to hang onto the older NGC 2.1 or even 2.00 slab than a NGC 3.0 slab.

As far as acquiring another old NGC slab, the NGC 3.0 is less expensive and probably offers better value right now as they are still somewhat available on the bourse floor but not much longer. Same with the PCGS rattler. JMHO.

Important to think ahead of the curve.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 3:58PM

@oreville said:

@Walkerfan said:

@oreville said:

@Walkerfan said:

I partially agree with Walkerfan but as far as keeping an old NGC slab already in my collection I would prefer to hang onto the older NGC 2.1 or even 2.00 slab than a NGC 3.0 slab.

As far as acquiring another old NGC slab, the NGC 3.0 is less expensive and probably offers better value right now as they are still somewhat available on the bourse floor but not much longer. Same with the PCGS rattler. JMHO.

Important to think ahead of the curve.

Good advice. I only own TWO NGC 3.0s and THREE PCGS 2.1s. I have just TWO rattlers. I should probably pick more up, while I still can and they are affordable!!

I own NONE of the NGC 2.0 and 2.1s, although I've had my opportunities. Although they're expensive; they are still within the realm of reason.

Cool as they are the NGC Black 1.0s are just too expensive for me to justify.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never realized that crypto79 was banned.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file