Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This Clemente painting is breathtaking!!

It's in Mastro's tonight, but has gone passed my level

Wondo

Comments

• 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible...looks like he's gonna walk right out of the frame!!
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Same artist had done many that are for sale around Cooperstown and in the HOF. I bid on on of Mickey Mantle that hung in a restaurant south of me that Mickey autographed. I lost the bid by less than 10.00 ggrrr....I wanted that piece BADLY. That was about 7 years ago it went up for auction. The paintings are beautiful. If it actually is the same artist I am thinking of, I think he passed about about 5 years ago.
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Same artist had done many that are for sale around Cooperstown and in the HOF. I bid on on of Mickey Mantle that hung in a restaurant south of me that Mickey autographed. I lost the bid by less than 10.00 ggrrr....I wanted that piece BADLY. That was about 7 years ago it went up for auction. The paintings are beautiful. If it actually is the same artist I am thinking of, I think he passed about about 5 years ago. >>

Artist is an alive young guy named Ron Stark. I don't think much of his other works, but this one really caught my eye. Went for just under 6k tonight.
    Wondo

Interesting...I wonder if they painting I had bid on was by the same artist. BTW...the Mantle sold for just over 1000 when I bid on it in 2000..and that was autographed!
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    that is something, looks like a real pic at 1st glance,very impressive
    randy
  • Interesting to note, I own a negative of Clemente that looks strikingly similar. In fact, you could say this artwork was inspired by this one. The negative wasn't cheap either image

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    wow, the painting looks 100% better than the negative..
    ·p_A·
  • Finished at just over $4900.00. What a steal!! One of the nicest Clemente/baseball paintings I've ever seen. I wish I would have known about it sooner.
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Wow, that thing is absolutely stunning!

Amazing how an artist can bring a picture to life. My goodness.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Real cool prints are available for a couple of hundred bucks. It is a real oil painting computer controlled:

Ron Stark
    Wondo

• PandaBoy,
    Gosh, I'd HOPE the painting would look 100% better than the nagative. If negatives looked better than paintings or went beyond what a human could do creatively with light, color, etc, to create an ideal, what would the point of art be? I posted the picture in response to "Rube". The point was to give a reference to just how fantastic the painting is/was. The fact that it IS better than any negative could possibly be.

But, since you mentioned it, a simple lighting adjustment in "picasa" and a soft brush or palette knife adjustment in photoshop, an unsharp mask, and some gaussian blur...voila! You have the same result and save the 5 grand. Of course, not an original painting from its source, but a pretty and displayable work nonetheless.

• That is a fantastic looking painting, and dgf thanks for sharing another wonderful negative, still waiting to see some vintage cardinals.

<< <i>PandaBoy,
    Gosh, I'd HOPE the painting would look 100% better than the nagative. If negatives looked better than paintings or went beyond what a human could do creatively with light, color, etc, to create an ideal, what would the point of art be? I posted the picture in response to "Rube". The point was to give a reference to just how fantastic the painting is/was. The fact that it IS better than any negative could possibly be.

But, since you mentioned it, a simple lighting adjustment in "picasa" and a soft brush or palette knife adjustment in photoshop, an unsharp mask, and some gaussian blur...voila! You have the same result and save the 5 grand. Of course, not an original painting from its source, but a pretty and displayable work nonetheless. >>

psychodude, you sound offended.. all i was doing was pointing out that your photo sucks in comparison to the painting.. fortunately we agree..
    ·p_A·
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    That painting looks TOO close to the photo. Did a human really paint that or was there any "assistance" from technology?

If a human did that 100% by hand, then I am stunningly impressed.
  • PandaExpress,
    Blah, Blah, Blah...have you ever been good at anything in your life. You are such a sad, little man. I haven't been posting here in two months. I see a relevant topic, simply post a photo (un-enhanced, mind you) captured by a legendary photographer and published multiple times, and you say it "sucks" without provocation. Who's the "psychodude"? I'm not sure you can get along with anyone. You are bitter, silly, and offensive twirp.
    Bottom line: Nice painting--it's from a photograph, I answered another poster, you were never addressed in any way. Put your little dick back in your pants and piss on someone else's tree please.
    Phil
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    The painting is what it is, which is to say it's stunningly good, and yes, is miles better than a mere photo just because of the nature with which it was made, and the fact that it was superbly done. No need to enter into the competition of little dicks. Those who raise such issues invariably come in short, shall we say.
    Hmmm.... so this is really just a marvel of technology versus a human feat.

Nice picture, but art, to me, is the celebration of a creation from the hands of another human being.

This was done from a machine with not even a hint of human subjectivity, and for that, it's just a cool thing to look at, but hardly a work of art.

Did/does the high bidder know a human didn't paint this?
    jrinck, I respectfully say I think you're a bit confused. I think you are mistaking a glyclee print of an original piece of art with the original painting, which certainly was done by hand. Perhaps you should take a closer look at the face of Clemente and the Pirate hat, as compared to the negative. Not even close.
  • actually i think you should the ripples on the hat on the right side towards the top are identical as well as the light shining on his left ear. The guy basically copied the picture verbatim. No artistic creativity at all. A waste of $6,000. Beautiful but not worth near $6,000
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
    Man,

I think the original is worth every bit of $6k to a Clemente or Pirate fan. I almost bought it and I am neither. Just pointing out what a spectacular piece this is.
    Wondo

Sigh. "Copy the picture verbatim." Well, without getting into the merits of a more impressionistic technique, let's see you do it - should be no problem - after all, it's just a straight copy. What? No can do? Well well, how about that. Tuck tail back between legs, son, and back to the porch with the other yippers.
    Oh, not to put too fine a point on it. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the talent self-evident in this work of art is about as qualified to pass artistically insightful judgement as I am to write complex treatises on physics. image

<< <i>PandaExpress,
    Blah, Blah, Blah...have you ever been good at anything in your life. You are such a sad, little man. I haven't been posting here in two months. I see a relevant topic, simply post a photo (un-enhanced, mind you) captured by a legendary photographer and published multiple times, and you say it "sucks" without provocation. Who's the "psychodude"? I'm not sure you can get along with anyone. You are bitter, silly, and offensive twirp.
    Bottom line: Nice painting--it's from a photograph, I answered another poster, you were never addressed in any way. Put your little dick back in your pants and piss on someone else's tree please.
    Phil >>

haha, yeah evidently im real good at making you slip back into your mental disorder.. you should re-read this thread and then show it to your therapist, they can probably help you out.. you weirdo.. didnt you admit to a history of mental illness in the past?

all i did was say that the painting was better than the photo, and you automatically started losing your mind, as usual.. as you said "bottom line" is that you were never addressed by me in anyway in my original post.

i didnt say the photo sucked without provocation, in fact i never said it sucked at all until i noticed you were on the verge of another mental breakdown, then i thought it would be humorous to drive you over the edge so i said "your photo sucks".. originally, all i did was compare it to the painting.

ps: you're not a photographer, youre not even very good at photoshopping other peoples photo's that you buy.
    ·p_A·
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    too funny. I do like the painting.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

image STOWN! Do you mind if I grab a handfull? image

• << <i>

<< <i>image >>

image STOWN! Do you mind if I grab a handfull? image >>

Funny how the same people begin showing up again. image

Perry - threaten to release the gonads. image
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    This reminds me of a woman I once dated. She could make impressive portraits from a small photograph. I had assumed that she looked at the photo and then would paint the image by free-hand. When I went to her studio I noticed that she had a slide projector set up to project images on a canvas. So in short she would have a slide made from a photo and project that image on a canvas and paint over it. There was hardly artistry involved, just tracing and matching colors. It wouldn't surprise me if this artist did at least that, if not something more sophisticed.
  • Downgoesfrazier is highly skilled in many different ways, including his photo business. He is also a superb hitting instructor and was a fine player. That poster questioning DGF's skills is akin to a gnat flying around a bulls arse.

I would love for DowngoesFrazier to enhance the negative and produce a beautiful image of that Clemente...I would buy it, save the six grand the guy wasted on the 'painting', and put it into something truly historical and rare.

If I were the buyer of that 'painting' and I saw what DGF could produce wtih the negative, I would have a serious case of buyers remorse. I bet the buyer has no clue that it is an exact copy of the negative.

-Skinpinch

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

image STOWN! Do you mind if I grab a handfull? image >>

Funny how the same people begin showing up again. image

Perry - threaten to release the gonads. image >>

What do you mean by that? I have been a regular here! I love seeing an innocent thread turn in to a good 'ole fashioned donnybrook! image

• He was the best ballplayer that I ever saw in my lifetime. He could hit for power if needed, had such speed to run the bases and had the most incredible arm that I ever saw in my life. If you got a single to right field and made a wide turn you were toast. If you tried to score on a sacrifice fly to right field you were double toast. Great pic and it brings back many good memories. He died way too young. RIP Bobby C. Thanks for the post!

eddye mack
    go steelersimage
  • original,
    I agree with you. It takes tremendous talent to work from any source to produce a painting of this quality. I much prefer a painting like this to a photograph...perhaps not 6K-worth, but prefer it nonetheless. The subtle highlights and texture that were captured here make the eyes soften and the heart dance. NEVER, at any point in this thread did I attempt to detract from the painting's obvious appeal. Quite the contrary. It was another poster that failed to observe the obvious intentions. You may have followed suit?

Finally, Pandabear brings up an interesting point. I am actually shooting professionally now as a side business. I love it. I took some shots of my ballclub from a practice this past summer as well as some on-location jobs for some clients that were very pleased with the results. I have to say, it pays WAY better than coaching! Further, I must brag, I entered a Baily-like portrait of my son, Monty, in a local contest sponsored by a Wolf/Ritz. It was a small local thing, but a contest--and I actually won. I only entered to quiet my Mom. She kept saying (use nagging mom-voice here) "You've gotta enter that in a contest...my grandson is beautiful and you are so so talented."...just like a Mom. I kept saying "Okay Mom. I'm glad my Mom is a fan." When I got the call and found I won, I said "You mean I was the ONLY ONE who entered this thing."
    I am pretty proud of it. I am entered in a National contest now (comes with the local victory--automatic entry) for 10K. Of course, I have no shot, but it's neat anyway.

I'll post some of the images of my club here for those that are interested.

dgf
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Darn. Just when I was sure Pandrews was Kobe, turns out he is really Pandaboy
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Here's a couple of baseball pics from our yearbook. Pardon the compression, these are all on templates that were ready for up-loading. That's why I selected these.

Bob Cook, Junior RHP/SS 6'1 170
    78mph two-seam, tight breaking ball and very competitive

Ben Klimesh, Senior RHP 6'3 210
    Hit 90 on the stalker this summer. Walks himself out of games sometimes.
    Awesome splitter and heavily recruited by D1's.

James Hall
    Freshman Denison University
    Football/Baseball
    5'11 205
    He can fly and has power, OF

The best throwing outfield in Illinois. Led all MWL in assists.

My favorite player--Junior infielder Tim Duxbury
    Energy! Great clutch hitter and strong arm. Good hands.
    Likely a strong D3 or smaller D1 program awaits.

Senior CF Charles Hodson 5'10 170
    Tough kid who runs well and has an absolute cannon.
    Heavily recruited.

• With the exception of "Guns", these are all candids. I was using a 300 to get in close without guys knowing I was shooting. Otherwise, it would be next to impossible to get some of these guys. 17,18 YO's can be odd around a camera. I was actually shooting Hodson because of the sunflower seed stuck to his lip. It seems he constantly has one attached. We banned chewing tobacco three years ago and not a single player has been caught or complained since and most actually PREFER the seeds.
  • Phil, great photos of the team members. Keep up the good work.

Robert
  • Robert,
    Thank you. I'm working on it! Have you gotten the itch to collect any more negatives of late? There have been some nice hockey negatives on eBay of late.
    PA
    DGF, im going to email you a picture of my balls.
    ·p_A·
  • PandaPoop,
    All this time I thought you were a woman! Go figure. You have some nerve calling people "mental". You're a psychiatrists wet dream.
    Know this; the next time something bad happens to you---flat tire, boyfriend cheats on you, stub your toe, you lose your job, have a stroke, lose a loved one, I'll be laughing somewhere and taking great comfort in your misery.
    Cheers!
    PA

...guys, I'll try to divert this thread--yet again...
    How 'bout some more Roberto!

• << <i>DGF, im going to email you a picture of my balls. >>

My nomination for best......quote......ever

on SDN!!!

pa rules!
  • DGF -- nice pics though. I'm a bit of an amateur photographer myself.

!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Geez, I had to look at it for a bit to realize it was not a photograph!!

<< <i>jrinck, I respectfully say I think you're a bit confused. I think you are mistaking a glyclee print of an original piece of art with the original painting, which certainly was done by hand. Perhaps you should take a closer look at the face of Clemente and the Pirate hat, as compared to the negative. Not even close. >>

Yes, I was confused. Wow, this guy really DOES do the paintings by hand! Beautiful!

But the description on his site focuses so much on the duplication prints that I mistakenly took it that the process was used to create the ORIGINALS.

What a problem to have, though, when you are so good that people can't believe a human could really do it! Good for him!

<< <i>Pandapoop
    Know this; the next time something bad happens to you---flat tire, boyfriend cheats on you, stub your toe, you lose your job, have a stroke, lose a loved one, I'll be laughing somewhere and taking great comfort in your misery.
    Cheers!
    PA
    >>

you're a class act, Phil Apostle.
    ·p_A·
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    I dont know you DFG but dang those are some rough words for a little ribbing.
    DGF just sent me an epic PM about how he should "drop me" (beat me up i guess?) and that he teaches sunday school where kids worship him and think he is actually "Phil The Apostle" (his name is Phil Apostle), and rich people held a dinner in his honor because he is so great, and his daughter has to use the bathroom too often, and he is an "award-winning" photographer..

this guy is truly crazy and in need of some reassurance that he is important, thats the only reason he posts here is in hopes of someone kissing his ass.. all these people that kiss his ass, have no idea how he truly is..
    ·p_A·
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    lol You ever see O'riley.... He says emial him but dont be a Phil (istine)
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Bit of an overreaction one might say DGF. He didn't really insult you in any way and you came out firing.

<< <i>PandaPoop,
    All this time I thought you were a woman! Go figure. You have some nerve calling people "mental". You're a psychiatrists wet dream.
    Cheers!
    PA >>

I think the loss of a loved one or a stroke is going a little overboard. Im not taking sides and it is none of my bussiness but an internet argument bringing that type of talk out? Seems a little too much..

Just my 2 cents