Home Sports Talk
Options

Indians Thread...

Any fans around? What do you think about the tribe right now being in the AL Central lead?

Comments

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    No surprise to me.

Do me a favor and kick Seattle's butt today!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Ask me on September 30th and I would have a much different answer. We play 17 of our final 30 on the road, Detroit plays 16 of their final 29 at home. Both play KC and Chicago for 9 of their games. The tough part will be when the Indians make the road trip that takes them to Minnesota(3), Los Angeles(4), and back through Chicago(3). At that same time the Tigers host Chicago(3), Seattle(3), Toronto(1), and Texas(3 in two days). The three game set in Cleveland (17th-19th) will be huge and hopefully the Tribe will be in great shape before leaving to end the season on a road trip to Seattle(4 in three days) and KC(3).

It should be a very interesting stretch run and the Indians have the starting pitching to carry them. Hopefully the bats will provide adequate support.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Another Indian's fan here....born and raised in the Cleveland area...now residing in Parma.........looks like they have a gem in that Cabrera kid that they brought up....Peralta may be in trouble......
    Tomorrow night I'm taking the family to the game, White Sox in, fireworks, kids are already planning their menu when we get thereimageimageimage
  • Options
    at least my TRIBE has arrived lol.

I pray they dont have an epic collapse. This is the 20th anniversary cheering for these clowns! I love em win or lose. I love their starting pitching and middle relive. Grady is a God, and if Hafner wasnt hurt I'd feel a lot better, but Victor has picked up the slack. They play decent defense, I just wish Borowski wasnt such a psycopath lol.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Their one weakness....Joe Borowski.

He's Jose Mesa part deux.
  • Options
    at least Jose Mesa had an ERA under 5.00, and he didnt blow the big one till the world series. any number of other relievers could close instead of borowski.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Thanks Guys! Pulled one out in the 9th!!

Signed Angels Fan

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Treetop. glad to see Angels doing well....I've posted a message in your thread...no disrespect intended...GO TRIBE.................................small letters go angels (at least until September 6th)
  • Options
    The Tribe has just defeated Santana for the 5th time this season. Sabathia has three of the wins and Carmona has the other two.

Twenty-six games left with sixteen on the road to hold off the Tigers who now stand six games back. Would love to see the Tribe go 6-4 on this current trip through Minnesota, Oakland, and LA.

Keep it up Tribe!

John Adams Rules!
  • Options
    woohoo!
  • Options
    Division leaders Angels and Indians go head to head, while second place teams (Tigers / M's) go head to head. Probably won't see much movement in the standings in the next few days. Have a feeling all 4 teams will go 2 and 2.

• Options

<< <i>Division leaders Angels and Indians go head to head, while second place teams (Tigers / M's) go head to head. Probably won't see much movement in the standings in the next few days. Have a feeling all 4 teams will go 2 and 2. >>

Treetop, I for one would be very happy with that.
  • Options
    Pit,

At this time of the year with 4 more games under the belt and still have the same lead, I would too!

• Options
    Looks like we crushed you guys lastnight. Even with Vladdy on the bench.

Do I smell a sweep?

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Magic number for the Tribe is 17.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Magic number is 15 if my math is right....could go to 14 later tonight......al.
  • Options
    Leaving Anaheim with the desired split and a six game lead on the Tigers. Angels stretch their lead on the Mariners by a game during the series.
  • Options
    magic number is 9.....GO INDIANS!!! You have to give the tigers some credit though, they continue to hang around....guess the Indians will have to take care of business when they arrive starting tomorrow.....
  • Options
    Big series begins tonight. Get us started on the right track Paul Byrd!
  • Options
    Casey Casey Casey!

woohoo. got to Zumaya... good job Tribe!
  • Options
    taking care of business; got to Verlander today.. and Pronk crushed a nice homer image
  • Options
    The Red Sox should ALSO thank us.. since they might eke into the playoffs as the Wild Card if they don't right their ship!

Indians have now tied the sox for best record.

Swept the Tigers today... coming from behind in every game to win.

My favorite Indians player of all time hits his 500th HR (THome)... and it's been 20 years since I first started cheering for these clowns! image woohoo! ahem. WahOO! image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Indians! image for truly burying the Tigers image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    The sweep of the Tigers have put us in a commanding position in the AL Central and now we find ourselves in the mix for best record.
    Next up the final home series vs. Oakland. Hopefully the Tribe can give the home fans a division clinching celebration. Hold the champagne,
    order more whipped cream pies!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Leo, don't be so hard on JoBo. he isn't as pretty and flashy as most of the pre-eminent closers and doesn't come with the 95+ mph fastball that everyone seems to love, that's the primary reason why his trips in the ninth tend to be adventures!! the end result is that he has a fastball that moves a little, a slider that moves a little more and a nice change of pace which usually holds most batters in check. his real strengths are the fact that he has good accuracy and a great partner behind the plate to guide him.

what i find most intriguing about the Tribe is that they seem to have come together as a Team absent any real superstars or egos. they have a blend of veterans, rookies, well traveled and home schooled players, solid defense, fine long relief, excellent short relief and some of the best starters of playoff wannabees. as the picture sharpens and the match-ups become clear, i expect we'll play the RedSox with home field advantage throughout the playoffs, up to and including the Series if we get that far. i'm more whipped up than i have been since the mid-90's when Cleveland always seemed to find a way to win. the difference in this team is that we have the hands down advantage with starting pitching, just like the Braves did when they made their nice runs. i really think that'll be the difference in the short series' that the playoffs provide.

hey, here's my quick roster, tell me what you think...................

Sizemore
    Cabrerra
    Hafner
    Martinez
    Garko
    Peralta
    Lofton
    Guttiuerez--sp.image
    Blake

Sabathia
    Carmona
    Byrd
    Westbrook
    Laffey
    Lewis
    Fultz
    Perez
    Betancourt
    Borowski

Shoppach
    Michaels
    Gomez
    Barfield
    Francisco
    Nixon
  • Options
    The only way the Indians have a chnace to advance in the play-offs, is if they play the Angels. Yankees, Red Sox will shut down the Indians. The indians and Angels are very close to being mirror images of each other and it will be anybodies series. Indians won't be able to take the heat in Fenway or Yankees Stadium and the Indians will cough up at least one game at home to either of these teams.

I know you (Indians) don't play the Yankees well, and I bet its the same with the Red Sox

• Options
    the year's whitewashing by the Yankees(six losses) is really an anomaly and doesn't bear much weight on where the respective teams are today. we played two series' with them, both at times when the Yanks were playing well and the Indians were playing poorly. the first series in NY was without Byrd and Westbrook in the starting rotation while 2-3 major contributors to the starting lineup were still down on the farm. the series in Cleveland was even worse-----the Yankees were playing perhaps the best ball of the season for both leagues, meeting the Indiand at a time when they were in their worst slump of the season. after playing flat against NY they shook off the dust and fared well against contenders Boston/Detroit/Angels while smokin' the rest of the American League.

today the teams are rather evenly matched with NY having the edge in batting, Cleveland the edge in pitching and defense, so it would be fun. from my lofty perch, NY has to make it past the Angels and Cleveland past Boston for the teams to meet. i don't really see Boston closing out the season strong and NY has a considerably easier schedule. you're right about one thing, Cleveland and the Angels are very similar-----neither team is loaded with superstars and i actually think that'll prove to be an edge in the playoffs. Boston and NY especially are loaded with big name prima donnas, Cleveland and the Angels go a bit more towards demonstrating what team play is all about.
  • Options
    A lot is up in the air. The Indians may very well play the Yankees in the ALDS first round. It all depends on who wins the AL East and whether the Indians or Angels finish with a better record.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    For the record I'm hoping for an Indians-Cubs World Series:

-Two cities with LONGstanding baseball histories

-Neither team has won the Series in many years. (Ok, so the Cubs haven't won in many, MANY years.)

-These are two mid-western teams, and a World Series between these two will give fits to the east coast sports media. (After all, it has a rather abnormal fetish with anything that is associated with the Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees.)
  • Options
    Keets,

I might even toy with the idea of moving lofton up to the leadoff spot and dropping sizemore down to 3rd, then Hafner/Martinzez. Bottom line, is that they need lofton to be in the lineup; i think his presence and speed are crucial.

Indians are indeed playing well together as a team, coming back in tight games and playing solid ball. Whatever team they face Im cautiously optimistic. However I would love to face the sox in the first round, if only to piss off all my co-workers in Boston; where we all work "at the official hospital of the Boston RedSox" LOL.

I would love to see Sabathia/Carmon duel Beckeet and Schilling.
    If it all possible we can avoid the Yanks and let them battle the Angels.

Any A.L. team should win the world series this year as the NL teams are simply embarassing. (Im still surprised the Tigers didnt win the W.S. last year) but who knows with this crazy season.
  • Options
    ....another Tribe win!
  • Options
    The playoff teams in the AL are fairly set with Boston, New York, Cleveland, and Los Angeles. New York and Cleveland both have
    nine games remaining, while Boston and Los Angeles have eight each. Boston is the only one of the four to close at home as the other
    three probable playoff teams hit the road after their current series.

Cleveland has 2 left at home with Oakland and the will head to Seattle(4) and KC(3) to close their regular season. I think the Indians will
    split the last two with Oakland, split the four in Seattle, and take two of three from KC. They would finish at 96-66.

Boston has two at Tampa Bay and then closes hosting Oakland for two and then Minnesota for four. If Boston goes 5 and 4 on this stretch,
    they would tie Cleveland and win the tiebreaker based on head-to-head.

New York hosts Toronto for three, and then travels to Tampa Bay and Baltimore for three with each. New York would have to go 8-1 to
    match Cleveland's projected record.

Los Angeles hosts Seattle for two and then travels to Texas and Oakland for three game series. If LA goes 5-3 they would tie Cleveland
    and but Cleveland holds the tiebreaker edge over LA.

I do not know the tiebreaker if all three division winners would finish with the same record. If it is record within your division, I think Cleveland would hold the edge there.

I would hope that the Tribe can do better than 5-4 in the remaining games. If they can manage to get that sixth win I think it would be very difficult
    for Boston or Los Angeles to match there 97-65 record. Of course Tribe fans also know that Cleveland could just as easily go 3-6 on their remaining schedule.

Go Tribe!
  • Options
    Indians win and become the first team to lock up their division. Seven games left to prepare for what looks to be tough playoffs series
    no matter how Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles, and New york align themselves.
  • Options
    Congrats Tribe! Glad to see Grady went 4-4 today! Westbrook pitched very well.
  • Options
    Indians win and become the first team to lock up their division

Angels win and are second to lock up there division

• Options
    however it shakes out the AL playoffs should be fun, exciting and very competitive. i don't see the four teams that far apart, but anything can happen in October. one thing about Cleveland that stresses me out is the fall-off in play whenever Byrd pitches, a result of his "Personal Catcher" being in the game. what that's all about i have no idea, but it will probably result in Westbrook being the Number Three starter throughout the playoffs, unless they roll over C.C. and Carmona. they're just weaker with Shoppach behind the plate and Martinez at first with Garko riding the bench. a case in point would be when that scenario played out against the Angels a while back, coupled with Barfield at second and Cabrerra at short. sprinkle in a case of jet lag and it spells whitewash!!! it has repeated itself with regularity all season, i find it remarkable that Byrd has sustained his record like he has. my wonder starting tonight is whether Wedge will do the correct thing and keep the Team set and rolling or let guys rest. i think he'll play a forfiet on Wednesday in the second game, letting a few subs play, than close out strong through the weekend.

• Options
    did any of you get in on ALDS tix?

my wife and I both registered (and again the other day for ALCS) and got denied.
  • Options
    i will attempt to get scalped tix for the sox! (only if they are playing the Tribe)
  • Options
    well, i stayed up till the ninth and watched the rest of the game on replay this morning as we beat the M's with our "B" Team!!! i know i wasn't the only one not surprised to see Cabrerra at the center of the victory.................again. this guy seems almost destined to be a star, even when he doesn't do anything he still does something.image
  • Options
    time to bring this to the top tonight.

The kids are hitting, so is old man Lofton! I feel like its the mid 90's again....
  • Options
    Wang was throwing just a bit outside. image

Wow, I couldn't believe this game tonight!!!! I was cheering so loud my neighbor came to make sure I was okay.
  • Options
    Another big game today. The experience of Pettite vs the inexperienced Carmona.
    I hope the Jake can get rocking for this late afternoon start and put the Tribe up two.
    It won't be easy, but it would be nice to head into NY up two in the series.
  • Options
    INDIANS WIN!!!!!
  • Options
    Incredible Game
  • Options
    oh my, my my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hufnagel comes through in the cluctch, finally someone did!!!!image

where in the heck is the happy dance icon??!!!??image
  • Options
  • Options

Feels so great to be a Tribe fan!!!!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Goooooooooooooooo TRIIIIIIBE!!!!!

Great game. This is October baseball at its best.
  • Options
    Great game, and Chamberlain showed he doesn't have the stuff needed to pitch in the postseason.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great game, and Chamberlain showed he doesn't have the stuff needed to pitch in the postseason. >>

What's needed in the post season? The ability to pitch through the bugs?