Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened to all of the First Spouse Bashers?

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
I seem to remember a bunch of threads before these actually started shipping full of people saying nothing but horrible things about the designs.

Now all I see are threads with multiple hundreds of people saying they can't wait to get them.

Did the final designs surprise anyone?

Just curious.

Edited: Of course right after I post this I see Russ's thread. image

Comments

• Options
    nothing ever makes sense. Lots of fun trying to get an order in today.

im curious about long term demand for these though.
    ---
    If it ain't about the money lord knows i've gone insane
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'm still here image
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Im here. This series sucks. I guess most of us just got tired of bashing these horrible things. Im still not sure why this series would interest anyone.image
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I certainly feel it's still a dog of a series. I purchased this coin because I like it in proof and don't plan on buying many more. Funny it took a fictional wife for me to like the series, gezzz I'd have to give up women if that's all they had to choose from back then.imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Here I am!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i>Im here. This series sucks. I guess most of us just got tired of bashing these horrible things. Im still not sure why this series would interest anyone.image >>

Because it is gold and there is a limit. Although the limit is quite high compared to other gold commems. image
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    The series is a dog, but gold can go a long way to change peoples' minds...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im here. This series sucks. I guess most of us just got tired of bashing these horrible things. Im still not sure why this series would interest anyone.image >>

If it weren't for what happened with last year's 20th Anniversary sets, I think this series would be totally dead. It was that low mintage/sellout-based aftermarket frenzy that has probably created 90% of the interest in these coins.
  • Options

<< <i>nothing ever makes sense. Lots of fun trying to get an order in today.

im curious about long term demand for these though. >>

Long term depends on how many people outside the normal collecting community get these and hold on to them. Short term the big places like coin vault will be buying these at a premium and selling to people that most likely would hold on to them for outrageous prices.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Many of my female friends love Martha Washington proof coin; and after all, the First Spouse theme isn't that bad.
  • Options
    Because it is gold and there is a limit.

aahhhh, the old artificial rarety. Ya gotta love it.image
  • Options

<< <i>Many of my female friends love Martha Washington proof coin; and after all, the First Spouse theme isn't that bad. >>

Completely agree.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I've never bashed them, collect what you like but I did see one Saturday and I didn't care for it, too cartoonish.
  • Options
    If it is the design everyone likes with the Jefferson coin, wouldnt it be a lot smarter in the long run to take the $400 odd dollars and buy a real nice original 1800-1808 Draped Bust Half Cent? That wouldnt turn someone a quick buck now would it? image

Thats my take on the matter.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I remain totally uninterested in the series, but am not into bashing others for their interests (however weird they might be image) . After all, it is possible that some collectors might not like Prussian coins, although that'd really be weird image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    "What happened to all of the First Spouse Bashers?"

They were on line with the mint.
    Paul
  • Options
    I'm here because I can't afford the dang things to flip 'em.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    The basher's were sure there to keep me from getting mine. If I was more computer literate I may have had more of a chance.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    We haven't gone away or been converted. I'm sticking by the FirstHags™ moniker.

Just wait till we get to year 5- 6-7 etc. It should be interesting to see how low the mintages get in those years when the earlier ones trade not much more than melt. The Jeff/Liberty may be an exception however, as it is interesting to a broader collector base.

That's what makes this all so great. Everyone can collect whatever gets them excited.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>We haven't gone away or been converted. I'm sticking by the FirstHags moniker. Just wait till we get to year 5- 6-7 etc. It should be interesting to see how low the mintages get in those years when the earlier ones trade not much more than melt. The Jeff/Liberty may be an exception however, as it is interesting to a broader collector base.

That's what makes this all so great. Everyone can collect whatever gets them excited. >>

When this happens I will still be buying one each. It will be a better time because the order process should only take a few seconds.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beats me. Move of them moved on to bashing other things, I guess. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First hags, gold bags... Not for me... sure would not disparage others interests though.. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    This series is so obviously taking a big belly flop, it's hardly worth the effort to even comment on it. It's like global warming. Yeah, you'll still find a few hard-core, special-interest naysayers, but the problem is so obvious it's ridiculous to make the effort. You just deal with the reality.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad series. I love my proof Jeff Liberty. What turned me off was the greed-driven scale of the enterprise. I will certainly buy a few select issues in coming years, though, and I'll bet there will be some big hits. Besides the Liberties, I'm guessing Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, maybe Ford and Lady Bird. In fact, I'll bet the end of the series comes on strong.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never bashed my first spouse. I did brow beat my second one a few times.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything's only worth bashing if someone else is flipping it for profits.

First spouse profits went away (for now) so so did the bashing.

If one of the low mintage issues or popular issues (Jackie) ignites, so will the flames of protest

meanwhile, enjoying my pair of non-spouses (Jefferson's Liberty) worth melt (or a little less image )

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>This series is so obviously taking a big belly flop, it's hardly worth the effort to even comment on it. It's like global warming. Yeah, you'll still find a few hard-core, special-interest naysayers, but the problem is so obvious it's ridiculous to make the effort. You just deal with the reality.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad series. I love my proof Jeff Liberty. What turned me off was the greed-driven scale of the enterprise. I will certainly buy a few select issues in coming years, though, and I'll bet there will be some big hits. Besides the Liberties, I'm guessing Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, maybe Ford and Lady Bird. In fact, I'll bet the end of the series comes on strong. >>

Belly flop now but that means there will be some seriously low mintage years. Will that affect the future of this series say 20 years from now?
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Belly flop now but that means there will be some seriously low mintage years. Will that affect the future of this series say 20 years from now? >>

image Time will tell but some of these may fall well below the Jackie Robinson $5 gold unc commem and we know what happened to it.

<< <i>I never bashed my first spouse. I did brow beat my second one a few times. >>

Joe, you are too much! image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This series is so obviously taking a big belly flop, it's hardly worth the effort to even comment on it. >>

Belly flop now but that means there will be some seriously low mintage years. Will that affect the future of this series say 20 years from now? >>

Oh, you know it will. In fact, it already is. Which is what makes ANY new series so much fun!
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I only see 4 Spouses actually being "key dates" because of their popularity and not because of low mintages (Though I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of those in the middle of the series for some of the President's that 99% of the country doesn't even know about and thus would never even have a clue about his wife), but Martha Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, and Nancy Reagan...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>I only see 4 Spouses actually being "key dates" because of their popularity and not because of low mintages (Though I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of those in the middle of the series for some of the President's that 99% of the country doesn't even know about and thus would never even have a clue about his wife), but Martha Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, and Nancy Reagan... >>

Nancy? Really? Despite her husband's popularity, it doesn't seem very many people liked her. I'd say Lincoln for sure. Also, has anyone confirmed if LIVING spouses will be put on coins? If so, Clinton will be a sell-out just because of her recent visibility.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Clinton will be a sell-out just because of her recent visibility.

...soon to become invisibility.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    You will never see one in my collection!
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    They must have tired from beating a dead horse.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clinton will be a sell-out just because of her recent visibility.

...soon to become invisibility. >>

Unless Bill dies w/in the next few years, there will not be a Hillary coin. I'm pretty sure the law says that there will be a First Spouse coin issued for each prez that gets a $1 coin. I'm also pretty sure the law says that a prez has to be dead at least a year before the issuance of the $1 coin in their honor. So, even if Nancy Reagan is still alive, she'll have a First Spouse coin because Ronald Reagan will have a $1 coin. Looks like Hillary will probably not get a first spouse coin. Not 100% sure, but you can look up the law if you want to be sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file