Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

bazooka boxes does psa grade complete boxes

sflayank@aol.com

Comments

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    stickaround@togetyouranswernotviaemail.com

edited to add: I don't think they do yet.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that PSA will grade a complete Bazooka box. Last year I inquired about them grading a similar item. It was a complete, UNFOLDED box of the 1962 Jello of Mickey Mantle---one of the toughest Mantles to get. They very politely but firmly told me that they could not grade the card since they could not properly examine the back of it. While I was very disappointed, I gradually worked it out in my mind that it really did not matter that much. I certainly was not going to cut out the card, just so PSA would grade the card itself. It is such a marvelous display piece AS IS. There is so much fear being "sold" that EVERYTHING cardboard is suspect until it is graded, and that it cannot be valuable UNTIL it is graded. One must weigh the full picture in such a circumstance. I'm NOT saying that PSA, or any reputable third party grader, is not a necessary entity in today's collecting world. The hobby sorely needed them when they came on the scene. However, we all need to use our heads and judge each piece for what it is. There's a profoundly rare full, complete, unfolded 1962 Bazooka box with Sandy Koufax on the back in Mastro's auction that goes down tonight. I believe it is lot number 1633. The panel itself might grade EX-MT or Near Mint, but when the whole piece is considered, what with the mesmerizing colors of the BAZOOKA logo on the side panel, and the fact that it is definitely unfolded, all I can say is "WHAT A DYNAMITE DISPLAY PIECE!" It would look perfect in an All-State Display Case "gallery" of the finest Sandy Koufax collection on the planet. The eye appeal is unsurpassed. Place it prominently with the rare Bell Brands and a '59 Morrell, etc. I'll guarantee you that that Bazooka box will hold its own with ANY of those other great Koufax items. I'm getting wordy--AGAIN. But the point is, as far as a complete Bazooka, or Jello, etc. box is concerned, grading is out, but that's fine. If you feel it must be put in something, I would suggest a Capital Plastics Company custom-made display holder. They're on the web. They do customs for coins, currency, and baseball cards or boxes too. They'll even put gold imprinting on the top layer of plastic. You can even choose a color of plastic, if that grabs you. They'll create an interior cavity piece between the outside cover pieces, so your Bazooka box won't get squished. Once completed, your box will look like the prized piece it should be, and will be an eye-catcher to just about any knowledgeable visitor. If they're too ignorant to appreciate how great a piece it is, I'm sure you could give them an impromptu education. Enough said. Best wishes. ---IndianaJones