Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finally found something cool, and in my own backyard to boot.

Found about 3 feet from where a tether ball pole was that I removed when we moved here 3 years ago.
Belonged to the previous owner's daughter according to the name inscribed inside.
Going to see if I can track her down, IIRC her parents moved to NV.
It's my graduating class (1992), 10K gold. I'm guessing the stone is a saphire.

Anyways, it was cool to find something besides clad and junk, especially in the privacy of my own backyard!
I found a cheap charm about 2 inches from where this ring was 2 days ago, guess I need to search the area more. image

Hey... sit on it!

Comments

• Options
    A good looking ring...Yes, hunt that yard. Good Luck.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very pretty. I'm sure the young lady will be glad to have it back.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    You got to get back with us about her reaction, she'll be thrilled!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

Even if you return it to its owner, you get to enter it in the monthly awards under the Jewelry category.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I once found a girls class ring at the dump. I had kicked some stuff on the ground with my foot and uncovered the ring from under some papers. It was a local H.S. and her name was inside the ring. I looked in the phone book and there was only 3 people with that last name so I called and got it on the first try. I brought the ring to her house and the girl that lost it answered the door. I told her I am the person that found your ring, she took it, closed the door and never even said thankyou. I thought to myself I should have kept it. The little witch.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.... wish someone would find mine.... long story.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WadeWade Posts: 41 ✭✭
    My wife says the stone is Topaz, and she would know better than I. image

Through the powers of the internet I came up with an email address for the owner. Seems she's still here in town and works for my son's school district.
    Hopefully her email is still active.
    Hey... sit on it!
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Stones from class rings are usually fake and generally people get there birth month stone...can you imagine what a diamond that size would cost for a class ring?

A friend of my brother lost his class ring. About 7 years later, he got a call, it had been found at a local park's Frisbee Golf course that he played at all the time. The park rangers tracked him down with help of the HighSchool.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    thats a cool find.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Update. Email from the owner:

"Hi Wade,
    All I can say is after I read this email I kept saying "oh my god, this is unbelievable"!! It's amazing that you found me because I am married now with a different last name (the internet is powerful!) and even more amazing that you found my class ring. I lost that so long ago and thought I would never find it. I wonder how it wound up in the back yard! Amazing, that's all I can say! I called my parents right away and they couldn't believe this either.
    I am so grateful that you contacted me, not many people would do this... so thank you! I don't live far from your house (the house I lived in for almost 30 years) so I could come by and pick it up any time that you are available this way you don't have to send it. Let me know what works best for you. You can email or call me. 303-xxxxx

Again, thank you!

Dayna"

She came by about an hour ago and picked up her ring. She was super excited and gave us a Starbucks gift card as a thank you. She said she lost it shortly after graduation, so about 15 years ago. We talked for about 15-20 minutes I guess. Nice gal. I'm glad we made her day. image
    Hey... sit on it!
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Wade,

And that, dear fellow MD'er, is what it's all about. You're a good man!

By the way, what's junk money?

Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool conclusion... thanks for sharing.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wade

Congratulations! This is what detecting is all about!! You obviously made someones day!!!!! Well done! I would hope to do the same thing should I find an identifiable ring!!!! Hope I get as lucky as you!!!! Rich
  • Options
    Wade, What detector did you find the ring with? It may be worth a story to the company that made your detector image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Jerry: It's a cheapo $100 VLF treasure finder, similar to this one: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/golddigger.htm But not quite as fancy. image

Mary: Junk money? Well I'm a currency collector, and I can only afford beat up rags for my collection. image
    Hey... sit on it!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    WTG Wadeimageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I think we should add a "Good Deed" award to the monthly awards.