Home Metal Detecting
Options

Getting permission to detect...

Hey, there,

I'm into my 6th week or so of detecting, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I've really only searched one park that's close to the house, but I've found a handful of change, a huge nail, and some other items that I can't place. I tried another city park and I was told in a hurry by a city worker that I needed a permit to "dig holes in the park."

Are permits a requirement for detecting in most other areas of the country? I'm wondering because the city where I live is rather progressive, which may be a factor. Or, people are tired of seeing scavengers leaving holes in which to twist their ankles image .

I'm also itching to try my luck in a couple of privately-owned areas. What's are your typical sales pitches? What sort of success rate do you all have with such a request?

Also, I'm heading out to west Texas to visit my mother-in-law for the holidays, who owns a 1,000 acre farm out there. There are a couple of properties on the land, and a couple of abandoned structures that I can't wait to get my hands on! I'll keep you posted.

<< <i> “The most essential factor is persistence - the determination never to allow your energy or enthusiasm to be dampened by the discouragement that must inevitably come.” James Whitcomb Riley >>

If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.

Comments

• Options
    Ward,
    This is a question that comes up frequently on every metal detecting/treasure hunting message board. It's a very good question too.

As far as private land hunting goes, there are several ways to approach this. Some folks suggest sending a query letter to the property owner. There are several examples on the web you can find for content. Another way is to just knock on the door or approach the person when you see them outside.

Wherever you go you will have to contend with municipal, county, state and federal laws. This is where it gets vague. No two cities, counties, or states are the same. My best suggestion is to contact a local club wherever you are. They can tell you what the laws are and if permits are required. Or you might be able to get some info by contacting the entity via email or phone.

The federal laws are the easiest to interpret. Just don't hunt on federal property. It's definitely against the law.

You can also go to Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs Inc. web site. They have some good info regarding state laws.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many also have a 'code of ethics' which is handy to have if you are asking permission in person...helps to set the owners mind at ease regarding what you will and will not do. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I have just walked up to the property and politley asked. Most responses are positive, I have an occassonal "no". but thats ok. I have also found a few abandoned houses that have been condemed. I hunt around those when I can .I have even had the police stop by while i was hunting a condemned property and asked if I found anything good.