Home Metal Detecting

any idea what this is?

Found this metal detecting. The detector picks it up as a solid coin signal, its heavy (possibly lead?) and about 1 inch long.

Comments

• It's not a battery connector, is it?
    If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like slag... could the area you found it in offer clues?? Cheers, RickO
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I found it in the sand in a playground. I don't remember how deep it was but I think it was kind of shallow.
  • petrified mitten? image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like either a big piece of lead (I have found them all the way up to about 5-6 lbs in weight!), or slag, as previously mentioned.

If it's lead, that should be easy enough to deduce with a scratch test. If it shows silvery color and the metal is soft, well, there you have it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I had to look up what slag is and it looks like slag is nonmetallic.
    This item is metallic since the detector gets a strong signal from it.
    It's not magnetic though.
    I used some steel scissors and compared scraping some lead that I had to scraping this and this was much much harder to scrape.

It looks like it cant be slag or lead.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slag can be metallic.... there is metallic slag from solder pots/flow machines... as well as from smelting.. definitely can be metallic. Cheers, RickO
  • It may be babbit metal from a bearing. Babbit is a white metal, usually a composition of mostly tin (sometimes lead), antimony and copper.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs