Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 20th Anniversary Labels...Why did Pcgs use

I know that 2006 was the real 20th anniversary and they used them limitedly on both the gold and silver eagles, but they also did this in 2005 for some reason? I've searched and read old threads about this, but no real definative conclusion could be found. There has to be someone, particularly at Pcgs, who knows why they used 20th anniversary labels in 2005? It appears it was intentional due to the fact that the gold and silver aren't released at the same time, yet they did it on both of them. I know alot of you may the "connection" and your insight would be appreciated. I'd love to here it "straight from the horses mouth"! How about it Ron, David? Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Both the AGE & ASE programs started in 1986, making 2006 the 20th Anniversary issues for both coins as correctly commemorated by the US Mint with the Anniversary sets released by them last year. For an answer as to why PCGS would use a '20th Anniversary American Eagle Program' insert on a 2005 bullion issue, I would ask your question in the Q & A Forum
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both the AGE & ASE programs started in 1986, making 2006 the 20th Anniversary issues for both coins as correctly commemorated by the US Mint with the Anniversary sets released by them last year. For an answer as to why PCGS would use a '20th Anniversary American Eagle Program' insert on a 2005 bullion issue, I would ask your question in the Q & A Forum >>

Thank you and they've got my question now. Just thought one of you "in the loop" guys/gals might know? I've got an '05 $25 MS70 that folks are asking about and it's hard for them to understand that I can't explain it. I've searched and led them to threads that show that it happened. It's just that "no one knows why" isn't possible, yet that's typically the answer.? Thanks again!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe..not sure though..that NGC & ICG also has slabs labeled 20th for 2005. Should have labeled them 20 years of issue & not 20th Anniversary.....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>I believe..not sure though..that NGC & ICG also has slabs labeled 20th for 2005. Should have labeled them 20 years of issue & not 20th Anniversary..... >>

Thanks!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why they did it? Sales and submissions.
    By counting to the 20th coin, they put 20th Annv on them, and using the justification that it was 10 years after the USMint did the official 10 years (which was incorrectly done since it wasn't really the 10th anniversary but those arguments are all in the past).

So, the USMint didn't do a 20th Annv in 2005. To increase submissions, why not trump up a new label? Poof! The 2005 20th Annv label was created image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Why they did it? Sales and submissions.
    By counting to the 20th coin, they put 20th Annv on them, and using the justification that it was 10 years after the USMint did the official 10 years (which was incorrectly done since it wasn't really the 10th anniversary but those arguments are all in the past).

So, the USMint didn't do a 20th Annv in 2005. To increase submissions, why not trump up a new label? Poof! The 2005 20th Annv label was created image >>

Excellent observation which makes perfect sense being the 20th Anniversary sets were not announced until late in 2005. Probably why the insert was an option for both years.

• Options
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options

<< <i>

So, the USMint didn't do a 20th Annv in 2005. To increase submissions, why not trump up a new label? Poof! The 2005 20th Annv label was created image >>

Excellent observation which makes perfect sense being the 20th Anniversary sets were not announced until late in 2005. Probably why the insert was an option for both years. >>

2005 isn't or wasn't a 20th Anniversary year for the program! You guys are probably right! About "sales and submissions" that is. Didn't know the insert was "an option"? Thanks for the clarification. Did one pay an additional fee for it (like the $10 FS)? How long did it last?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Excellent observation which makes perfect sense being the 20th Anniversary sets were not announced until late in 2005. Probably why the insert was an option for both years. >>

2005 isn't or wasn't a 20th Anniversary year for the program! You guys are probably right! About "sales and submissions" that is. Didn't know the insert was "an option"? Thanks for the clarification. Did one pay an additional fee for it (like the $10 FS)? How long did it last? >>

As Bochiman said, 1995 wasn't the 10th Anniversay yet the Mint issued a 10th Anniversary set. I suspect PCGS started issuing the '20th Anniversary American Eagle Program' insert to keep in line with the Mint's 10th Anniversary sets. The insert was available through the bulk department for bulk submissions and in certain circumstances, for regular submitters paying an additional $10 fee.

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    How many of these labels are out there? & why are these not in the price guide.
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>How many of these labels are out there? & why are these not in the price guide. >>

I have 3, that's all I know of. image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options

<< <i>How many of these labels are out there? & why are these not in the price guide. >>

I guess what I should have originally asked is: How would you "sell" this coin? Alot of folks ask about the label and I'd like to be able to "hype" it up, but there really isn't anything to "hype" about. It's not a Pcgs labeling error cause they did it intentionally. Thank you all! I've asked the Q & A forum. Maybe they be straight forward about it?

You can count this as one of them.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I guess what I should have originally asked is: How would you "sell" this coin? Alot of folks ask about the label and I'd like to be able to "hype" it up, but there really isn't anything to "hype" about. It's not a Pcgs labeling error cause they did it intentionally. Thank you all! I've asked the Q & A forum. Maybe they be straight forward about it?

You can count this as one of them.

image >>

Don't know why they are not in the price guide...I suspect they are part of the reg. business strike totals & do not demand a premium. On the Bay...2005 20th Anniv AGE labeled coins are selling for the same low price as the ones w/o the label. (just slightly above melt for the 69's)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint is who screwed up. In 1995 they issued the 10th Anniversary Proof Set. So all PCGS did was follow the Mint's lead, and considered 2005 to be the "20th Anniversary".

Then the Mint probably realized they had sqandered a marketing opportunity, so they declared 2006 as the "20th Anniversary" instead.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint is who screwed up. In 1995 they issued the 10th Anniversary Proof Set. So all PCGS did was follow the Mint's lead, and considered 2005 to be the "20th Anniversary".

Then the Mint probably realized they had sqandered a marketing opportunity, so they declared 2006 as the "20th Anniversary" instead. >>

Just when I thought I had it figured out....? image

Seems there are alot of varying "opinions" about it!
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Because they are stupid.

It's like someone taking a 2007 Corvette and putting stickers on it, etc, and selling it as a 54th Anniversary Corvette.

I think the manufacture of said products are the ONLY ones who should be able to claim any kind of special designations.

ONLY the 2006 coins are Anniversary coins. ALL other coins are someone putting their own sticker on it, claiming it is something it is not.

• Options

<< <i>Because they are stupid.

It's like someone taking a 2007 Corvette and putting stickers on it, etc, and selling it as a 54th Anniversary Corvette.

I think the manufacture of said products are the ONLY ones who should be able to claim any kind of special designations.

ONLY the 2006 coins are Anniversary coins. ALL other coins are someone putting their own sticker on it, claiming it is something it is not. >>

The Q & A Forum has yet to respond. Perhaps they don't want to talk about it?
  • Options
    There are 28 mint state 2005 w 20th anniversary silver eagles, graded pcgs ms70.image
    achillesaero
  • Options

<< <i>There are 28 mint state 2005 w 20th anniversary silver eagles, graded pcgs ms70. >>

Maybe PR70 , but not MS70
    No Unc Gold Eagles were minted at West Point in 2005
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are 28 mint state 2005 w 20th anniversary silver eagles, graded pcgs ms70. >>

Maybe PR70 , but not MS70
    No Unc Gold Eagles were minted at West Point in 2005 >>

All gold bullion has been minted at West Point since at least 2001. 2006 was the first year they were issued with a Mint mark excluding the Unfinished Proof dies errors from 1999.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file