Home Metal Detecting
Options

BigFOOT Coil

Gary, Hows that BigFOOT coil working?
I think I will hit Santa Monica Beach in the AM (6AM).

Jerry
CROCK of COINS
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jerry, don't you have one too?
    Gary and I were talking about it for the wet sand... does it get pretty deep without going bonkers? My XLT with the stock coil couldn't get near the wet sand in SCruz...

• Options
    Thanks for asking. It worked great Jerry. I covered lots of ground at a good pace without a big overlap in swings (I walk slow anyway). It was easy to swing and it salt balanced great too. I was able to run the gain much higher like you mentioned in your PM. The low tide hit at 2 PM. But the difference between high and low was only 2 feet. That being the case I didn't get in the water. I did make a trek on the wet stuff near the water. In the wet I found a few coins and didn't have any falsing because of a salt balance issue.

Overall I rate it very high on my best purchases list. My coinage count was about 50% more. I don't know exactly what the $ take was. It might be a fluke, but my quarter count definitely doubled. That can happen at anytime though. I anticipate the number of coins I find to definitely increase. I did have two interesting finds, but I can't directly attribute them to the coil. One was a sterling silver pendant that has resin type stone in it. The other find was someone's 1 gig USB jump drive. It was in the dry stuff so it worked when I tried it.

Have fun if you go to Santa Monica. The crowd was kind of thin today. Doesn't mean a thing though. Get there early because there are quite a few pirates that hit it at the crack of dawn. Let us now how you do.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Rick, I see you posted while I was composing. Jerry was correct on his assessment. I took the Bigfoot to Santa Monica today. It definitely has a different radiation pattern. It is staight down rather than in a cone shape. I tested that so to speak on a deep quarter hit. It definitely is edge to edge in sensitivity. I was able to run the gain almost at max. And I didn't have issues with salt balancing like my other coils do in the wet stuff like we talked about. That being the case, with a Bigfoot a person doesn't have to have a salt machine.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I hope Gary didn't get it all. image

I had a computer club meeting Sat. AM. So I will try this AM.

The BigFOOT coil gets good depth. It also gets small finds like a zipper pull tab.

Targets may not be as deep as the detector tells us..ok. But it will get a beer can over 17 inch at the beach.

Pinpoint: Coin size targets come in at short beep. Bigger targets give a longer beeeeep. When you pass over the target, the beep will end sharply as you move away from the target and will return as you come back to the target. At the beach we dig just about all beeps, scratch, blips.

Cross talk: I go out with other people and don't have any trouble working withen 10 feet.

Have Fun

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Jerry,
    I know I didn't get it all. There's a $5000 ring someone lost at Santa Monica beach a few days ago. How many times have you heard that one? It's funny, it's never a ring that's worth $1229.56. Or $341.89. image

Your assessment of the pinpointing is correct also. Albeit you are referring to when you are in search mode and not actually squeezing the trigger for VCO. I noted the sounds as you mentioned when I test drove it at the park Friday. At the beach I was able to note when the sound would change from the front half of the coil to the back half. I used that as my pinpoint rather than squeezing the trigger. I rarely do that at the beach anyway. One thing I noted at the park was the target ID was solid although shifted a little. The literature and field test mentioned that. But at the beach the confidence scale sometimes was lower on pennies and dimes. I'm sure you've noted these things, I'm only mentioning them in case someone contemplates buying one.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    My friend Butch was at my house by 5AM. We hit the beach by 6:30AM and the first thing Butch got was a 14K gold ring with stones!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to get a photo.

We both got over $5.00 each. Luck for us it was overcast, we left around 10:00AM.

We worked the beach North of the pier first. Then went under the pier and to the South of the pier.

What a workout!!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice ring find.. don't forget the pictures... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Hunting the beach is a workout. Sounds like you guys did okay. I saw that you worked on both sides of the pier. But did you work dry, wet, or a little of both? There's a young lady named April with a Surf PI that's there frequently. She rarely ever hits the dry stuff and she comes away with some decent finds. Wish I could take off the day after Labor Day. Hint, hint. image That Tuesday morning early should be some good hunting.

G.

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Nice ring find.. don't forget the pictures... Cheers, RickO >>

I worked dry sand the most. Did a little damp sand. Got about $1.00 under the pier.

The ringimagehoto from cell phone :-(

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice ring ... looks like stones could be genuine... congratulations.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Very nice. Looks like a hefty!

G.
    imageimageimage