Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: Clemens told his son "do whatever you need to do to stay competitive"

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
That was in response to a question at a lunch he was at in the spring. The question was, "what would you tell your son about steroids?" He said, "I'd tell him to do whatever he needed to do to stay competitive."

Very telling, from someone who was named in Jason Grimsley's affidavit to the feds.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    I have no doubt Clemens is as guilty as any other player
  • Options
    so sad to see this when the "Just Say No" approach got us so close to winning the war on drugs
    Tom
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    This one time, someone overheard me sayin' the neighbor's wife was hot!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i think that is some pretty important advice to share with an impressionable young adult......the INTERPRETATION is what is important image
  • Options
    I have no doubt that Clemens (as well as many, many other pitchers) used steroids, but where is the proof of this quote?

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    it'll all come out sooner or later, why do you think that balco guy is still in prison?,to shut him up,he could bring the whole thing down on their heads, proof is in the congressional hearings i believe,which are not over, atheletes have only used steroids since before you were born brian, look at lyle alzato, he died a long time ago from it,tons are guilty in amost all sports except for maybe ping pong, owners just turn a blind eye,if the walls came crashing down they would be hard pressed to sell tickets to a buch of skinnny little twerps like bonds used to be in 87,look at him and jose canseco now,they are gorillas lol,i dont know why canseco isnt hiding in a 3rd world country now because of his book and soon to be other book,i would be if i were him lol!
    randy

edited for gramer for typo's for new cu teacher named chaz-beat it
  • Options
    Alzado's illness didn't come from steroids, it likely came from HGH.

But I agree, most sports have that cloud over them, but I doubt the NBA has.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no doubt Clemens is as guilty as any other player >>

I agree 100% that he did them , just my opinion.

However I would never suggest to my son or anyone else to use something that could harm themselves but on a personal note if I had a chance to make a big league roster or an NFL team there is NO doubt in my mind I would use steroids if it was the difference in me making the team or not, but thats just me.
  • Options
    I haven't seen that quote by Rocket, but I do want to ccomment on the steroid issue & how he fits in. His name has only been linked once & only once to the steroid scandel; and that was when an investigator asked Jason Grimsley about any knowledge he (Grimsley) had about Clemens. Clemens was one of many names Grimsley was asked about. Somebody please chime in if there is ANYTHING else linking Clemens to steroids.

I think Clemens is unfairly getting painted by the steroid brush, as are many others who are only guilty of playing during the "Steroid Era". Now it may come out that Clemens has done 'roids, but unlike:

Bonds-who admitted to a grand jury he took them
    Sheffield- who has admitted to taking them
    Giambi- who has admited & apologized for taking them
    Sosa- who couldn't speak English to Congress
    McGwire- who didn't want to talk about the past to Congress
    Canseco- who admitted to taking them
    Palmero- who was suspended for testing positive
    Caminetti- who admitted to taking them & ended up dying

...Clemens has done nothing wrong at all, he was simply one of many names asked to a guy who got busted.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    If the quote cant be source checked then I assume its typical net bullshyte.

I heard that this Ron guy didnt sell certain sets at the National, but rather STOLD them from the dealer he is accusing!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    waiting patiently for the first knucklehead to submit the Clemens as Rail-Thin Ethiopian Topps Rookie card image
  • Options
    where s nancy reagan when ya need her? -just say no lol - or just say whoa-60's- my generation
    randy
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't seen that quote by Rocket, but I do want to ccomment on the steroid issue & how he fits in. His name has only been linked once & only once to the steroid scandel; and that was when an investigator asked Jason Grimsley about any knowledge he (Grimsley) had about Clemens. Clemens was one of many names Grimsley was asked about. Somebody please chime in if there is ANYTHING else linking Clemens to steroids.

I think Clemens is unfairly getting painted by the steroid brush, as are many others who are only guilty of playing during the "Steroid Era". Now it may come out that Clemens has done 'roids, but unlike:

Bonds-who admitted to a grand jury he took them
    Sheffield- who has admitted to taking them
    Giambi- who has admited & apologized for taking them
    Sosa- who couldn't speak English to Congress (although the corked bat didn't need to speak English)
    McGwire- who didn't want to talk about the past to Congress
    Canseco- who admitted to taking them
    Palmero- who was suspended for testing positive
    Caminetti- who admitted to taking them & ended up dying

...Clemens has done nothing wrong at all, he was simply one of many names asked to a guy who got busted.

Am I missing something? >>

Well, that is true. There has never been any anecdotal evidence at all with Clemens. I think that's the key word here. No Balco, no witnesses, no paper trail, just grumblings from fans and perhaps peers. Even Canseco, who has absolutely no problems with dropping names, was EXTREMELY careful to preface whatever he wrote about Clemens in his book by saying "I have never seen Clemens take steroids" and "Nor have I ever heard of him taking", before going into his opinion about Clemens. This is on page 211 of his "Juice" book.

I have a low opinion of the media in general, but the one thing I always give them credit for, is that they are very good at digging up dirt where others are not able to venture. A hungry reporter wanting to make a name for himself in the industry would not be held back by any ethical or legal binds that might hold back a lawyer or government investigator. Taking down a legend like Clemens would make a career.

My personal opinion is, if there is something on Clemens (or anybody else), it would come out sooner than later. The longer time passes with nothing surfacing, the more inclined I am to believe that there's nothing that can be dug up.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    By the way, Jim Rice in a recent dinner speech to the Sox's minor league (not sure if it was Pawtucket), said the same exact thing. Do anything necessary to make it to big leagues and stay there. Even justifying cheating (with the sole exception of steroids, of course).

Point is, I don't think this "do whatever it takes" attitude necessarily means one is for or against performance enhancing drugs.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>itll all come out sooner or later, why do youthink that balco guy is still in prison?,to shut him up,he could bring the whole thing down on their heads, proof is in the congressional hearings i believe,which are not over, atheletes have only used steroids since before you were born brian, look at lyle alzato, he died a long time ago from it,tons are guilty in amost all sports axcept for maybe ping pong, owners just turn a blind eye,if the walls came crashing down they would be hard pressed to sell tickets to a buch of skinnny little twerps like bonds used to be in 87,look at him and jose canseco now,they are gorillas lol,i dont know why canseco isnt hiding in a 3rd world country now because of his book and soon to be other book,i would be if i were him lol!
    randy >>

WHA???????? Why don't you spell correctly so we can understand what the hell you are saying???? chaz
  • Options
    WHA???????? Why don't you spell correctly so we can understand what the hell you are saying???? chaz -you cant even spell what-, and you call me out,thats funny word- to ya mutha g-
    you be " boo koo dinky daugh" son

you just tell me what's misspelled bucky and we'll fix all grammatical errors on here on cu just for you chaz , we aims to please son(anybody else so stupid they cant read this, is english-pretty well straight forward?? let me know, i can translate too
    randy
  • Options
    He made this statement at the SMU Athletic Forum, in Dallas, Texas. I was there along with a few thousand others in attendance. I'm sure there's a tape or transcript of it somewhere.

Regardless of whether or not he used roids, it's a pretty telling comment.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Correct, Bonds should die! image
  • Options

<< <i>WHA???????? Why don't you spell correctly so we can understand what the hell you are saying???? chaz -you cant even spell what-, and you call me out,thats funny word- to ya mutha g-

you just tell me what's misspelled bucky and we'll fix all grammatical errors on here on cu just for you chaz , we aims to please son(anybody else so stupid they cant read this, is english-pretty well straight forward?? let me know, i can translate too
    randy >>

Oh, I forgot, you never got past second grade. Sorry bro. chaz
  • Options
    nope got g.e.d. in army in 60s SON!!!!!!not yer bro punk

like i said what is mispelled, or shut your face, 2 choices turn on your pm too, were gonna have a little chat
  • Options
    chumpz is an idiot. image
  • Options
    i gathered as much lol,met several on here, starting a collection of em myself lol
    see hes got himself blocked from people searching for him ,such a brave soul.....so selflesss...so giving.... what a dork
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so sad to see this when the "Just Say No" approach got us so close to winning the war on drugs >>

ZING! image
  • Options

<< <i>WHA???????? Why don't you spell correctly so we can understand what the hell you are saying???? chaz -you cant even spell what-, and you call me out,thats funny word- to ya mutha g-

randy >>

This may be the funniest comeback yet! You Go RUBE!
  • Options

<< <i>

randy >>

This may be the funniest comeback yet! You Go RUBE! >>

So... you are the guys that chase the girl moose's in heat !!!!!!!!! Don't fergit yer shot guns !!!!! LOL !!!!!! chaz
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>

randy >>

So... you are the guys that chase the girl moose's in heat !!!!!!!!! Don't fergit your shot guns !!!!! LOL !!!!!! chaz >>

I was lost at "girl moose's".

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Me too..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

randy >>

So... you are the guys that chase the girl moose's in heat !!!!!!!!! Don't fergit your shot guns !!!!! LOL !!!!!! chaz >>

ANOTHER DOPE !!!! chaz

• Options
    so enlighten us all knowing Chaz? What is a girl moose actually called?? I think it is a COW... Talk about a dope..

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

randy >>

ANOTHER DOPE !!!! chaz >>

I'm a dope? I guess it is true what they say: better to remain quiet and be thought a dope than to speak up and remove all doubt. Right Chaz?
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Must be a sad life you live there Chaz..
  • Options

<< <i>so enlighten us all knowing Chaz? What is a girl moose actually called?? I think it is a COW... Talk about a dope.. >>

I tried to make as simple as I could for you 2nd graders'. chaz
  • Options
    Girl Mooses? image Thanks for the laugh Chazzy!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

randy >>

ANOTHER DOPE !!!! chaz >>

I'm a dope? I guess it is true what they say: better to remain quiet and be thought a dope than to speak up and remove all doubt. Right Chaz? >>

Very good grasshopper !!!!!!!!! chaz
  • Options

<< <i>I tried to make as simple as I could for you 2nd graders'. chaz >>

Chaz, I think you meant.. I tried to make "IT" as simple as I could for you 2nd graders.

Thanks for that laugh as well! image
  • Options

<< <i>Must be a sad life you live there Chaz.. >>

Not as sad as being a friggin' Red Sox fan!!! Tell me how does a team sell the most important sports figure of all time ????????? Even Teddy Ball Game couldn't save your sorry asses !!! chaz
  • Options

<< <i>

Not as sad as being a friggin' Red Sox fan!!! Tell me how does a team sell the most important sports figure of all time ????????? Even Teddy Ball Game couldn't save your sorry asses !!! chaz >>

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a little tip for you from a 2nd grader chaz......Moose is already plural, so there's no need for apostrophe S at the end chaz. The guy calls us 2nd graders and then types Moose's. LOL

Just remember.....Goose is Geese, but Moose is not Meese...or Moose's for you 1st graders.
  • Options
    i wonder if Moose Skowron did everything he needed to do to stay competitive image or Mike Mussina.....
  • Options
    Is chumpz still digging his hole?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not as sad as being a friggin' Red Sox fan!!! Tell me how does a team sell the most important sports figure of all time ????????? Even Teddy Ball Game couldn't save your sorry asses !!! chaz >>

image >>

LAME ?????? How about FACT !!!!!!!!! chaz
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

This thread would not be complete without a pic of a Moose
  • Options
    How is it fact wise one? Calling Ruth the most important sports figure of all time is little more than an OPINION AND NOT FACT...

Why won't CU do anything about this loser he is worse than Axtell ever was.
  • Options

<< <i>How is it fact wise one? Calling Ruth the most important sports figure of all time is little more than an OPINION AND NOT FACT...

Why won't CU do anything about this loser he is worse than Axtell ever was.[/q

Gettn' to you turkey? If you can't take it, don't dish it out. chaz
  • Options
    Until I see this "quote" documented by a legitimate media source, I will take it like I take half the quotes I hear about on the internet; Nothing but a load of crap to try and stir things up. The fact that "I was there and I heard it" holds as much water as me saying "I hear Hank Aaron say that when he was chasing Ruth's record he would take pills to help him stay alert and on his toes as he got later in his career." It means nothing. People say that Clemens took steroids because he's been a great pitcher for a long time and in this day and age ANYBODY who has ANY semblance of talent is unfairly called a steroid user and a cheater regardless of whether there is any evidence to prove it.

I also wonder why the same people who call Clemens a cheater and steroid user don't say the same about Manny Ramirez or David Ortiz? The same arguments being used against Clemens hold just as much water if you replace "Clemens" with "Ortiz" or "Ramirez".
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Figured it was a good time to resurrect this thread in light of this:

On page 169 of the report, it says: "According to McNamee, from the time that McNamee injected Clemens with Winstrol through the end of the 1998 season, Clemens' performance showed remarkable improvement,'' the report said. "During this period of improved performance, Clemens told McNamee that the steroids 'had a pretty good effect' on him.''

McNamee also told investigators that "during the middle of the 2000 season, Clemens made it clear that he was ready to use steroids again. During the latter part of the regular season, McNamee injected Clemens in the buttocks four to six times with testosterone from a bottle labeled either Sustanon 250 or Deca-Durabolin."

Ron Burgundy