Home Metal Detecting
Options

oil soak

Would anyone like to tell me the proper procedure for cleaning the coroded coins I find in the soil? I have heard of olive oil for a week or two, but what do I do after that? Wash it in water, or gently rub the oil off? If I wash it with water do I use soap to get the oil off? I guess it doesn't matter because the coins are corroded anyway but I would like some opinions please image
I have so much to learn!

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Copper coins put in a potato for a day ,take out and look at it if all the crap isn't off
    repeat process as long as it takes

only drawback is the coin have a white residue on it when it dries

just put a little mineral oil on it and it will be copper colored again

Jim

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musky, thanks for the potato tip.. had not heard that one before. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The potato trick works. I've done it with several coins.
  • Options
    Go to treasuredepot.com and search the archives.
    There are many ways to clean coins, depending on the type of damage, metal type, and value of the coin.
    They range from the extreme (sandpaper on otherwise featureless & worthless corroded copper to at least determine country/series) to gentle (hydrogen peroxide, diluted CLR, electrolysis etc).
    Oil typically isn't terribly useful for most metal detector finds.
    I'd say practice each method of cleaning on otherwise minimal value finds so you know benefits/drawbacks of every method.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of people purchasing rock tumblers with plastic barrels and loading it with rice and peroxide, running the coin through. Coppers I believe, I don't know about any other metal.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Careful with the peroxide... can pit the copper.... rice is an abrasive (as you know).. so do not use it on coins of potential value. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rice in the rock tumbler... hmm... why didn't I think of that? Cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Careful with the peroxide... can pit the copper.... rice is an abrasive (as you know).. so do not use it on coins of potential value. Cheers, RickO >>

Most definitely. I'm talking handfuls of Memorials. I don't recommend cleaning any valuable coin. Just arrest whatever corrosion may be occurring. I should have added that.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com