Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do numismatic ethics and customs vary across the globe?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it considered "acceptable behavior" to counterfeit coins in some countries? (I know it's more common in some places, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable or legal.)

Is it considered "acceptable behavior" to sell counterfeits in some countries?

Is it considered "acceptable behavior" to get away with whatever you can in some countries?

I know that each of you will have your own opinion about what is right or wrong, but that is not what this question is about. The question is, like I said, how do ethics and customs vary from country to country?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it considered "acceptable behavior" to counterfeit coins in some countries? (I know it's more common in some places, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable or legal.) >>

It might be worth separating acceptable and legal. I'm guessing that in some countries it might be technically illegal but acceptable for practical purposes.

The other thing is that when counterfeiting is practiced and acceptable, I'm guessing it's only acceptable for coins that are not legal tender in that country. If the coin is legal tender and you try to spend it, they will probably come down on you, no matter what the country is and what you are trying to spend. I've wondered if anyone was producing fake US Trade Dollars at the time they were being used in China since they chopmarked the coin to ensure it was genuine.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ethics vary a lot across this forum so I guess its reasonable to assume that they vary across the globe too.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ethics are an individual matter.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    Just as with anything else in business, ethics do vary greatly between countries including in our industry. One thing that leaps to mind is selling things out from under people. In the U.S., typically, if you have a verbal agreement with a dealer about buying a coin it is yours and you can pay in the agreed upon timeframe. In certain other countries, you can have an agreement, but until the money is in their hands they are liable to sell it out from under you if a better offer comes along. It is just the nature of international business.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In China, counterfeiting, copying, etc are not considered unethical. People do what they can to prosper. Caveat Emptor applies. The United States is unique in several ways, high degree of ethics, political correctness, the concept of 'fairness' (definitely a western concept).. Do not judge the rest of the world by our standards... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a high level of business ethics coming out of Nigeria.

And with Zimbabwe's 1000%+ inflation rate, I can only imagine the lack of ethics needed to survive.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Would the question have improved meaning by separating ethic from custom? Or is the intent of the question that the link of both is the requirement for the answer? Regards and Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Is it considered "acceptable behavior" to counterfeit coins in some countries? (I know it's more common in some places, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable or legal.)

Is it considered "acceptable behavior" to sell counterfeits in some countries?

Is it considered "acceptable behavior"? >>

<< <i>Ethics are an individual matter. >>

Quarantined...
    imageimageimageimage
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It definitely differs, based on my experience. A lot of US multinational companies spend a lot of time discussing with non-US employees that US-type rules (particularly with bribes to officials) need to be followed, rather than local practices.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would the question have improved meaning by separating ethic from custom?

The question would lose relevance if ethics were separated from custom. For example, I've noticed in one country that trying to cheat the other guy is so much part of the culture that it's treated more like a good-natured game than dirty business. Yet I doubt anyone in that country would call the behavior ethical.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    The partitive question-re. Ethic from Custom, has not yet been answered, so a response is subjective. Is a bribe a question of Ethic or a question of Custom? The Thread Title is different from the OP question-acceptable behavior, which is 3 questions: 1) Is it acceptable behavior to counterfeit coins...2)Is it acceptable behavior to sell counterfeit coins....3)Is it acceptable behavior to get away with whatever you can(re.coins,I assume)... My answer to 1,2 and 3 would be the same and only from a hobby/numismatic point of view-NO. I have never experienced less than acceptable numismatic behavior between hobbyists in other countries. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Would the question have improved meaning by separating ethic from custom?

The question would lose relevance if ethics were separated from custom. For example, I've noticed in one country that trying to cheat the other guy is so much part of the culture that it's treated more like a good-natured game than dirty business. Yet I doubt anyone in that country would call the behavior ethical. >>

I had a friend who made an effort to steal Lighters...

Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I realize that the OP was in regard to ethics and not legalities, and I am no lawyer, but many might find it interesting that the United States has reciprocal agreements with many countries, making it illegal not only to counterfeit United States coins, but also to counterfeit the coins of our allies, as well.

As to the question of ethics, I suspect that there are crooks in all nations.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although we would like to believe that ethics are engraved in stone - it is just not true. What is ethical to one culture, is practice in another. We are not dieties... however we do create laws, mores and ethics to suit our culture. These spring from various sources, other cultures, religion, necessity (new laws, behaviours). What we (here in America) perceive to be 'unethical' is standard conduct in other cultures. The reverse applies as well. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading, I think on this board, that in India, dealers take great pride in keeping all of their coins nicely polished.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In China, counterfeiting, copying, etc are not considered unethical. People do what they can to prosper. Caveat Emptor applies. The United States is unique in several ways, high degree of ethics, political correctness, the concept of 'fairness' (definitely a western concept).. Do not judge the rest of the world by our standards... Cheers, RickO >>

early america was no different then china when it came to these types of issues.
    just ask english authors and book publishers what they thought of early america.

history simply repeats itself. people will do WHATEVER they think they can get away with.
    people are no different 15000 miles away then they are next door.

the questions people ask in this forum and some of the answers! ;-) geez.
  • Options
    fc, if the people were 15000 mile away, wouldn't they be back here, or on their way? Could you please confirm that geez is a "no"?imageRespectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It definitely differs, based on my experience. A lot of US multinational companies spend a lot of time discussing with non-US employees that US-type rules (particularly with bribes to officials) need to be followed, rather than local practices. >>

Longacre and how do they do that? Put them all in a classroom and give them a history of our teamsters and dockworkers unions through the 50s and 60s with an exclusive interview with Jimmy Hoffaimage
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Lotta people don't have much food on their tables.....
    but they got a lotta forks, knives
    Man, they gotta cut something.

Bob Dylan

Is one way of looking at it.

I hope you aren't claiming that we in the US have a greater degree of ethics than other places in the world. While I would agree that at one point that was a true statement, it's changing and it has a lot to do with the economic ideologies that have essentially dumbed the country down while simultaneously changed the very core of ethics that existed once upon a time here as a majority, and now is a minority.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Surely they must vary. Just look at collecting in the US over the last 160 years plus. Attitudes and acceptability has changed dramatically regarding everything from cleaning and handling of coins to restrikes, to what is even of interest to collect (ie VAMs etc)...

And ethics are always an issue everywhere, regardless of what the acceptable ethical guidelines are anywhere, there is someone always more than willing to play outside of even the most liberal of ethical guidelines.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file