Home Metal Detecting
Options

my first time

Well, today was my very first time metal detecting! I got a cheapo MD'er and hit my back yard! The house we are in was built in the 1800's sometime so there had to be something good! Fifty mosquito bites later I realized the soil is littered with with either lead paint or it used to be a junk yard because all I found were rusty flakes! (being new to this I dug everytime it beeped).

We had to go to my in-laws and I brought it with me. They were nice enough to let me play in thier back yard. Thier yard isn't dirty like mine so the MD was easier to use. The first dig I made my hubby dig up a piece of old fence post. The second dig, however, yielded a 1983P dime. My first day and it found a coin! I put it in my pocket to bring home. (the in-laws laughed when I offered to split the find, said I could have it.) Now that I am home I took a closer look at my treasure and realized there was an error of some sort on the dime! How cool is that! I have been looking through my pocket change the last couple of months to find an error because I don't know what they look like. My treasure has a drippy M. The last m in UNUM dripped into the E in DIME. I think it is a die crack. I will ask the other message board. I love my metal detector! Can't wait to go again!

I have so much to learn!

Comments

• Options
    COOL

Have Fun

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Once it really gets in your blood you'll be a treasure hunting junkie. You'll always need a fix. Welcome to the hobby.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Once it really gets in your blood you'll be a treasure hunting junkie. You'll always need a fix >>

Yea...to late. It's 12:14am here and I just found a quarter, a nickel and a penny with a flash light in the front yard.image
    I have so much to learn!
  • Options

<< <i>It's 12:14am here and I just found a quarter, a nickel and a penny with a flash light in the front yard. >>

Ooooh! You're really a hard case. Don't forget though - it's hard to soar with eagles when you hoot with the owls. image

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    My husband has a MD and our daughter and husband just bought 80 acres so we are hoping to go hunting out there when it gets a little cooler. We have been before someplace else but had no luck mostly oil field junk and not old even. He and his friends really got hooked on it for a while but somehow he lost interest but now I am interested. Maybe when it cools down to the 80s we will make it there.
  • Options
    It is difficult hunting during the summer. You have to either go early or late. Oil field stuff? Where are you at?

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow lmking, you are getting the fever real bad.... imageimage Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Alright, its not that bad. I just happen to work nights, get home between 11pm and 2am depending on the shift. So my days off I am up late. image
    I have so much to learn!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>...with a flash light in the front yard >>

You need a head lamp.
    Congrats on your first few finds. Nice start!