Home Metal Detecting
Options

Need opinions on 2 entry level detectors--Umax & Garrett

I've been researching which detector I want to buy, and the overwhelming opinion here is the Garrett Ace 250.

Elsewhere, I read good things about the Tesoro Silver Umax.

They're priced close to one another (Umax is ~$239, and the Ace ~$212)

While I'm leaning toward the Garrett based on opinions here, is there anything anyone can add?
Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!

Comments

• Options
    Never used anything other then the Garrett Ace 250, and I simply turned it on, and went on my way... and have found a couple of pretty cool things (1927 Cheufeurs (sp) badge at about 8 in.) and I have never had anyone show me how to use it. Its VERY simple to figure out and even learn which signals are trash and which ones are good.
  • Options
    MorglanMorglan Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I've been reading up on them for the past day, and I think I'll be getting the Garrett this week.

Any advice on dealers? (I'm leaning toward the dealer on ebay that is selling them for $212 with free shipping.)

One thing--what's a "Sniper Coil", and do I need one?
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace250.htm

Pass on the sniper coil for now, but add the pinpointer.
  • Options
    Check the warranty on the Tesoro =LIFETIME ! ! !

"Sniper Coil", That would be a small coil...like 5 or 6 inch dia. Good for trash type areas. Small coils get in and around the junk to find the good targets.

How far is it to your closest dealer. My first choice would be to buy local...40 to 50 miles max.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Croc--I'll probably have to order over the internet. I don't think there are any dealers anywhere close at all.

Phut--the pinpointer is really worth the extra cost?
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    the pinpointer is really worth the extra cost?

I did my first two months without one. Now it's the most important accessory, after a shovel.
  • Options
    I would get it off of EBay personally... your not going to get it any cheaper then $212. I actually came across the receipt for mine last night... $227 at a local dealer.

As far as the pin pointer... I dont have one... but am jealous everytime I go out with lordmarcovan and his... makes things so much easier.
  • Options

<< <i>http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace250.htm

Pass on the sniper coil for now, but add the pinpointer. >>

Just called and placed the order for the Ace 250 and the pinpointer.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and thanks Phut for the link--they were very nice to deal with.

Can't wait to get out there!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KellyCo is a good group to deal with.. and any errors they correct with great expediency. They have GREAT customer service and reasonable prices. I have done, and will do more business with them. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Never dealt with KellyCo personally but Ive heard nothing but great reviews on their customer service.
  • Options
    Got the Ace (with accessories) and the pinpointer last night. I should be hitting the parks later today.
  • Options
    Good Luck.
    And have fun.
    If you can take some photos of your first finds.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks. Regarding taking pics, that's good advice. Actually, I've been thinking about picking up a decent (although relatively inexpensive), durable digital camera to carry with me everywhere. I've seen a few things lately that I wished I had captured!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally I would say go with the Garrett, but ... I dunno... those Tesoro UMAX 'tectors can be mighty good. I had one briefly. Good relic machine. All our local relic boys down here swear by Tesoros.

Either way you would have a decent starter machine.

A sniper coil is nice to have but the pinpointer would be even nicer.

Ah, I just read further and see you bought "The Yeller Feller". Good- hope you do well with it. We expect to see postings of your first "baby steps" soon!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.