Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walking half - NO AW question

Hi All,

I was looking through some halves that I came across awhile ago and I was looking for varieties. I found what looks to be a 1943 S with NO designer's initials.

The coin does not look to be damaged. It does not have unusual wear in the area where the initials should be. I'm pretty sure I have what I think I have but a few other opinions would be helpful.

If it is, does anyone have a list of known dates and MM combinations?

Thanks,
Billimage

Comments

• Options
    i think its die polish and not an error.
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    It's not listed in the cherry pickers book or the Treasure Hunting Walking Liberty Half Dollars. I know they exist without the designers initials, but are not listed in either book...........Also, your coin doesn't look messed with as the initials are incussed.........Hope this helps a little........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    Yes--- This is one of the years and mints with weak or missing designer's initials----caused by excessive die polishing at the mint. It also occurs on 1929 S coins---1945 Philly coins---1941 Proof Walkers and the 1918D coins. Those dates and mints I am certain of----there may be more. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you have a discovery coin? At least it looks strange to me.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'll check around with a few attribution people to see if they have this particular coin in their records.

Supertooth knows about it as he was very positive in his response and he listed a group of good dates to check, so it must be listed someplace:-) Also, Rick seems to be aware of it too. I'd love to find out to see if there are certain die markers I could use on a coin in this condition.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have fairly nice example of the 1918-D. The 1943-s exists and I just do not recall the rarity factor

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bill----Your interest sparked me to check Bruce Fox's book on Walkers.

1918D---Breen 5139

1929S---Breen 5154

1938----1939----1940 [Breen 5179]---1941---Breen 5182 1942---All proof issues

1942S---Breen 5193

1943 S--Breen 5200

1944---Breen 5207

1945--Breen 5211 and Cone H--01

1945S

1947D Breen 5220

Been awhile since I had checked. Was surprised there were sooooo many. As I said, I can verify the ones that I had listed before as being definite. Bob [supertooth]

Bob
  • Options
    Hi Bob,

That is a great list, Thanks for checking...Howsabout inverted mintmarks, might their be one listed for 1945 S Walkers? I'm working on a picture even as we speak.

UPDATE: The pictures proved the possible inverted S on the 1945 S to be normal.

Thanks Again,
    Bill
  • Options
    I found one about 5 years ago in a roll I was searching,,, I'd have to look for it,, I remember it was in the forties date range and it had no mint mark... you could tell it had not been tampered with... I figured it was due to over polished dies...
  • Options
    1938 Proofs also exist with no initials...I've owned this for a number of years:

Ken
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1938 Proofs also exist with no initials...I've owned this for a number of years:

Ken >>

Damn! That thing is almost a cameo!
  • Options
    That is one Sweet Looking coin!

Bill
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Walker... wow... that is one of the best looking Walkers I have seen.. would love to hold that one... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Obverse motto always looks strange to me....IN and WE seem too large.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that is the best cameo contrast I've ever seen on a proof walker. At first glance I thought it was a modern proof eagle!
    And, I'm glad to see so many board members with knowledge and interest in WLH's!
    Greg
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That PR walker is gorgeous.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bill----Your interest sparked me to check Bruce Fox's book on Walkers.

1918D---Breen 5139

1929S---Breen 5154

1938----1939----1940 [Breen 5179]---1941---Breen 5182 1942---All proof issues

1942S---Breen 5193

1943 S--Breen 5200

1944---Breen 5207

1945--Breen 5211 and Cone H--01

1945S

1947D Breen 5220

Been awhile since I had checked. Was surprised there were sooooo many. As I said, I can verify the ones that I had listed before as being definite. Bob [supertooth] >>

I think Supertooth nailed it. There are also a lot more known than indicated in Breen's book. A funny story about one: several years ago I saw a 1929-S in Fine in a dealer's case marked $300. I happened to have an identical coin with me that was for sale. I offered it to him for $30 (90% less than the one he was trying to sell!) He turned it down. I said, "Then it's obvious that you don't really think it's worth $300 then!"

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>Yes--- This is one of the years and mints with weak or missing designer's initials----caused by excessive die polishing at the mint. It also occurs on 1929 S coins---1945 Philly coins---1941 Proof Walkers and the 1918D coins. Those dates and mints I am certain of----there may be more. Bob [supertooth] >>

Hi Bill,Bob is right on the money on this.I have a few,the 45's of coarse,41-S,42-S,43-S and this one,a 1916-S obverse.only one i have found so far.Pics of it first,normal with intials 2nd.Any information on this date without int. would be helpful.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discovered this one today. I didn't realize there was no AW on this 1945 P Walker till I arrived home.
    Bought a couple mixed rolls today mostly 64 Unc Kennedys and a few AU/UNC walkers for $9 bucks each.
    $180 a roll, I like very much. I searched a ton of Walkers and this is my first no AW. Exciting to me but probably
    very common.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    That's a great looking example!

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info !!!
    Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list