Home Metal Detecting
Options

Aug 07

Got out to another new site for three hours on Sunday. Stone bounds and logging trails everywhere. It was hot, so I took the lazy man's tour and stayed mostly on the dirt roads. Lot's of trash and modern coins.
I got off the road a little to hit three of the many hills. The first was a skunk, second has a bottle/tin can dump, and the third had some not so modern stuff.
It should be a great fall hunting spot. Not bushwhacky, but the deer flies are brutal this time of year.
Dates of stuff range from a large musket ball(1700s) to 1990 Amesbury rabies tag(???I was a long way from Amesbury).

1903 dime, 1919 nickel, 1902 IHC. All from the same hole.

The other side of this is toast, but it's the Eagle from 1787 Massachusetts. Don't know if this is a button or a half cent.

Comments

• Options
    Nice finds, esp. the old coin spill.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    >>1990 Amesbury rabies tag<<

Looks like "1890"

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    A 3 coin spill like that..UGH..would be happy to find 1 coin like that by itself image
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Today was a near skunk. Took my nephew out and set up the X2(thanks Rob) for short people and headed down the street to hit a local woodlot. We get about ten feet off the road and he stops in a panic. Then the questions...Is this poison ivy? Is that a bees nest? Can I stay on the road?. We were less than 100 yards from a trail that he rides his Quad on, but for some reason he was afraid to walk in the non-bushwhacky woods.
    We make it to the quad trail, get less than 100 feet, and I hear,"My arm's tired".
    Aaaaargh!!!! An hours worth of prep for 15 minutes of hunt. He lasted about two hours the last time we went out, but that was an open field with a sand quad track.
    I brought him home and went back myself. Didn't want to waste a brand new permission. I spent about two hours digging bullets every 5 feet. The only finds...An 1890 IHC and a Tombac button with a broken shank. Maybe he knew something I didn't.
    Most of these finds are from a three hour hunt on Friday and two and a half of the three were nuttin but trash. A half hour before sunset I hit a hot spot. I couldn't stay long seeing I had a mile walk back, and the woods get dark fast.

I thought this was a washer when I first popped it out of the ground, but it had that dirty silver look.

A mystery button. It's one piece with intact shank, and there is some kind of design on it. Off to the expensive oil bath for a couple weeks.

Base Ball

Found this and the lipstick tube in a private yard, after work on Thursday.
    Anti aircraft toy soldier. Couldn't find the barrel or leg.

Tomorrow.... another private yard that I just got permission for on Friday.
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    That baseball shield is interesting. Wonder what it was or what else its missing.
  • Options
    davbec, It's stamped copper, so my guess would be early 1900s. It probably had a tab bent over the back at one time.

Sunday hunt.
    Went to the private, 1/4 acre house lot today. The house is in Amesbury Ma. and was built in 1895.
    I stayed there exactly 2 hours and 2 minutes. Someone brought up 'time per target' in another thread so I figured I would keep track. Roughly 3 minutes per good target. If I take into account the 2:1 trash ratio, I was digging a target at a rate of 1 per minute. Do I qualify as a human backhoe?

I was hoping for my first Barber half, but I guess it's just not my time.

Anderson springs- spats for springs- pat Dec. 1913

Silver things.

Theses aren't old, but I found the names interesting.

I believe this is a whistle ring. A small root grew though the center hole and held the two pieces together.

I miss the woods.

Stay dirtyimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver 'thingy' next to the Roosie is intriguing.... any ideas there? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ricko, the silver thing is a sterling rose. Probably a stick pin, but the pin is missing.

One of my woods sites is about to be developed with up to 100 houses image. It'll be fun following the dozers, but once it's done..... it's gone. There are a few 1700s houses on the perimeter, an apple orchard, and some stone bounds through the middle. There is a cellar hole that I just found this summer. It's hidden by severe brush and a poison ivy patch. I was hoping to get to it this fall.
    I hit it today, and will be giving it a lot of attention before the dozers.
    Woohoo, a three silver day(sort of).

B&M railroad cargo seal(Boston&Maine)

1943P US five cents

1877cc US ten cents

1840 US ten cents found in the same hole as the 1877.

Target practice Wheat cent.
  • Options
    No one has said it yet so I will. You know what Tim? Yeah, you really suck! Very nice. image

Dang, the month is only half over too. WTG

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Well there goes the silver count for August! imageimage

• Options
    You really suck!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Wow.. that CC dime is gorgeous... soak it in oil... could be a real treasure... Congratulations... woods hunting can be very rewarding...you never know what 'was' there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Well there goes the silver count for August! >>

Ditto!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Spent this weekend exploring. I covered a lot of ground, but didn't stay long at any site. Got some insight to where some hot spots may be. I think I have some cool spots lined up for the fall.

Turtle jewelry with one missing piece of glass.

I believe this style of buckle is from early to mid 1700s.

Large shoe buckle. Silver plate. I don't have a clue on the date.

More small silver.

Bullet variety. Also found around ten muskett and pistol balls.

I found the small D handle shovel three years ago and have been using it since. Today I found the long handle shovel buried in the mud. It still has the sticker on the handle and should clean up nice.

The thing on the left is a sun turtle shell. Nobody was home when I picked it up.

Edge of turtle shell after I peeled some of the shed.

Dennison's 3/4 inch paper fasteners

Nice shell button still attached to sample fabric.

It's been a while since I've found a gold ring. The only mark is the S in a diamond.

I saw this peeking out of the leaves right after I dug the ring.
  • Options
    well your finds pale in comparison to my 64 quarter, but keep at it, you'll catch on!....ha!....fantastic finds mr. phut.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Very cool finds Tim. Funny that you found two kinds of turtles. The ring looks like a real honker. Big, fat, and hefty, hefty, hefty. image

You da man!

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    When you find a long handled shovel like that... look for a shallow grave nearby.. imageimage great finds... you have definitely peaked my interest in 'woods' hunting.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Great finds. Man this is making me wish I had a detector. I just moved to MA, and drive through a little town every day that has a sign saying it was settled in the 1600's. There are stone walls everywhere in this area. There's gotta be something interesting hiding in the ground.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    That is amazingly neat stuff. Very, very exciting finds!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Large shoe buckle. Silver plate. I don't have a clue on the date. >>

That one's definitely 18th century.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That target practice wheatie, was it found near the dime with a hole in the center? It looks like it was shot through too.
  • Options
    22nd- 2 hours after work. 1 hour walking to and from the site, and 1 hour hunting.

Interesting piece. Spring loaded and the perfect size to hold 5 nickels. Empty when I found it.

Tiny lock with a swinging door to cover the key hole.

1917 well worn US dime.

NET&T Co.

26th- Three hours of nuttin' but modern and trash. Bullets are interesting, but I find so many like this that I gotta give the day a skunk rating.

30th- 1/2 hour after work. I'm working at the riverbank site again.

Samll flat button. Perhaps they should've used a better quality thread(and I should get a better quality camera)

This was found within feet from where I found 1700s coins last year. My heart skipped a beat when I first saw the dirty silver. There has to be some more old stuff there.
    Toothpaste works great for shining up common stuff.

The mystery button from earlier in August. Looks like an Eagle doing funny things to a duck.
  • Options
    Great finds guy! I love the piece that looks like a pocket watch. Is it brass?

What's the smooth looking disk in the upper right?

Are you sure that's an eagle and not an owl image

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    thanks for sharing....cool finds phut!...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage