Home Metal Detecting
Options

What's the dumbest thing you dug up?

I spent about 20 minutes trying to unearth an iron collar that rings an underground sprinkler system before I noticed I was kneeling over the sprinkler head it encircled. This was last weekend at the local park. I even managed to bloody myself up in the process by bending back my fingernail real good trying to get it out. image
Hey... sit on it!

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Ok, you got my vote image

I spent an hour or so digging up a watcha ma call it in my backyard once- some old piece from the railroad days-about 2 feet long with a stand on each end- the narrow end was pointing up- I ended up digging a small trench to find out why I couldn't pull it up- it was a foot or so wider at the deep buried end.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    You have me beat also. You were lucky you didn't get wet.image
    My first week of MDing I chased a signal and dug a hole three feet deep, until I saw the matchbox car sticking out of the side at around 8 inches.
  • Options

<< <i>You have me beat also. You were lucky you didn't get wet.image
    My first week of MDing I chased a signal and dug a hole three feet deep, until I saw the matchbox car sticking out of the side at around 8 inches. >>

Thats awesome... lol.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dug around a hot rock (big) for forty five minutes before I realized it was the rock that was ringing ... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    I once spent more time than I care to admit trying to dig up a *$% tractor seat that was buried at an angle that led me to believe I had found an old strong box. It was located directly in front of a rock wall here on the farm. I thought I had uncovered great-great grand-dad's family fortune. I soon learned was there were old tractor parts buried all over this place!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    I tried my hardest to dig up a buried electrical cable....Thank God I failed...
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    80 feet of barbed wire.

nah, just kidding, it was only 40 feet.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    i gotta laugh!...funny stuff!.....i dug up a meat grinder/chum grinder in the ocean last year....must have fallin off some boat......beach goers looked at me kinda funny as i lugged it out of them water and tossed her on the beach ....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ChicagoRons thread about a small lake in the burbs.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Ken, I remember you telling us about that barbed wire. Very funny stuff!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I have nothing personal to add, but with reading these it reminded me of a scene in a dumb movie called "Nerds In Paridise " where one of the nerds was combing the beach with his metal detector, got a real strong signal, started digging , only to find another metal detector.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    That wasn't a dumb movie! That was the best Revenge of the Nerds movie ever made. Robert Carradine, Brad Whitford and Courtney Thorne-Smith all went on to have great careers after that movie. That's when Courtney was good looking and not the pale, anorexic thing she is now!

Forgot about Anthony Edwards! I think he was more famous for Top Gun and ER though.