Home Metal Detecting
Options

Thought I had another Indian but....and some silver too!

Short hunt today, noticed they had started to install curbing on other side of the street across from the small park that I dug the two old Canadian quarters last month. Figured there might be something there as well and hit the trenches- unfortunately for me they took away all the dirt they removed this time. Not much exciting to find and the hunt started out slow, then finally silver- a 1952 Rosie. Then a short while later I thought I had dug another Indian when I saw this wreath on a crusty copper:

But something seemed funny and I scrubbed as much I could off at site and then I could see a man an horse, its in real bad shape (typical for the coins I have found here- right next to roadway that gets alot of salt in winter). Cleaned it up when I got home, the date looks to be 1863:

Instead of one cent it says "Union For Ever" - I guess it's a civil war token of some kind, have it stuck in a spud for now to get some of the gunk off of it. Here's a shot of it with the dime:

Comments

• Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Nice finds. I havent found anything worth posting in a long time.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unique find.. have not seen one of those... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Just found one on ebay Link

photos of ebay token:

imageimage

Don't think mine will ever look that nice. The more (or should I say less) coins/tokens I find up here makes me think that the area I live in prior to the civil war and until slightly after didn't have much money. I have found hardly any US coins pre civil war- (actual one large cent-1851 and one 1841 hard times token). Most of the older coins I find are Canadian or British. The railroads to the southern part of NY state didn't arrive up here until about the time of the civil war or just prior which might have something to do with the coin shortage. Who knows, this piece could have been brought to town by one of the Finnian raiders just after the civil war (they were bent on taking Canada from the British and came to this town to do just that- but their boat ride turned into a fiasco of sorts).
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess it's a civil war token of some kind >>

It is, indeed.

You suck.

Immensely.

Here is one I Googled.

Courtesy link to source page.

That would be George Washington on the horse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Sweet find!!
  • Options
    Yeah, that token is really cool.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage