Home Metal Detecting

INTERESTED IN THIS...BUT WHERE DO I BEGIN?

I've always thought it was neat when I saw someone with a metal detector, and thought one day I would get into it. Well, I think that day may be here soon. I need to know how to get started in doing this. What kind of metal detector? How much? What kind of accessories? Where do I go? Help!! Any advice would be great. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• First of all, welcome to the forum and the hobby!!

There are quite a lot of "which detector to buy" type threads here if you wish to search for them.

As for how much, that is a tough question because it all depends on your budget and interest. Some people go all-in and buy the best money can buy and others start out with simple machines that do the job but without a whole lot of extras.

I personally have a Whites DFX which will set you back about $1,100. Then again there are many many other detectors that are great for beginning that will run you around $200-$250. Again, all a matter of taste and budget.

As for accessories, again start with the basics. You will definitely need a good solid digging tool, a tool belt or pouch for carrying your finds, tools and accessories and a good set of headphones. If you want to search beaches or sandy tot-lots you'll want a sand scoop of some type. Another excellent accessory is a good pinpointer as it can save you lots of time and frustration when digging

Where to hunt? Most public parks and public areas are open but you will want to check local ordinances first to be sure. Playgrounds, beaches, street/sidewalk demos and such are all good. If you are wishing to hunt on private property always ask permission from the owner first. Stay away from any designated historical sites like state and federal parks, monuments, battlefields etc... bad juju!! image

Always fill your holes and toss the trash you dig (Sometimes you'll wonder if you are a metal detectorist or a trash collector)

Here are some websites for detectors and accessories.

White's Electronics......... Garrett.........Kellyco......... Fisher Labs.........Bounty Hunter

Good luck and happy hunting!
  • Thanks, I really appreciate the help!!
  • i'd suggest that you first find a dealer in your area. see if there are any clubs that can attend. some dealers will let you rent out a detector. this might be an easier way to determine if your gonna like it. a club meeting would really help. alot of people go into this blindly and get frustrated. i guess its like any hobby with expensive E.Q.

there are other detecting out there. some have sale/trade sections. i found one where i bought the Whites DFX for $700.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice above, keep asking questions, join other sites... (i.e. www.dfxonly.com) and have fun. Cheers, RickO
  • WadeWade Posts: 41 ✭✭
    From one n00b to another:

If you're like me you probably collect a lot of different things (why else would you be on this board? image ), and have an interest in valubles in general.

I got a cheapo ($100 VLF Treasure Finder) detector for father's day last year. We went to the park and whatnot, found nothing and it sat for almost a year. I picked it up again this last month and just walked around our small (very small) suburban backyard. I found some nails and misc. crap, but I also turned up 6 pennies. Nothing special, but I had a blast actually finding something!
    My son and I went out tonight in the backyard, and found another penny within 5 minutes. He was pretty impressed and it made my day. Just being able to say to him "Nope that signal is weird, probably a nail." Then saying: "Hear that? Now that sounds like a coin!" and being right about it was really cool.

So, the long and short of it from a total MD n00b:
    You can have fun on the cheap with your kids for about $100 in your backyard digging around with a butter knife.
    If you're a hard core type with a lot of time on your hands, extra cash laying around, and some good hunting grounds, then I'd probably spring for something more "extravagant" like the guys on here use.

As for me, I'll keep playing around with this thing, learning as best I can and trying to have a good time. Hopefully one day I'll outgrow it, find some more spare time, get a nice rig and turn up some real treasures!

FWIW,
    Wade
    Hey... sit on it!
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>From one n00b to another:

You can have fun on the cheap with your kids for about $100 in your backyard digging around with a butter knife.

FWIW,
    Wade >>

All I know is my wife said nothing about me spending over $1,000 on a MD and accessories, but if I used a butter knife to dig in the back yard I'd be dead meat!!! image
  • I just bought my first MD and I am very satisfied with it it's a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, got it online at radio shack three weeks ago, just take a look at their site they have all kinds of good deals and I'm sure you can find one that fits your needs / $. Let us know what you buy and happy hunting.image

~