Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Large number of NGC Martha Washington PF70/MS70 on eBay

The sheer number of NGC Martha Washington First Spouse PF70/MS70 for sale on eBay seem impossible to comprehend. With all the 70s up for sale it seems to be hurting the prices of raw coins.
USAF vet 1951-59

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    This is normal as all the flippers try to get rid of their coins before the credit cards come due. Once that is done you will see a leveling of the prices.
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126
    A lot of the population is up for sale right now. It is pretty crazy when you see 69DCAM graded coins offered at the same (or less) than raw prices in an effort to quickly unload. Ah well, beauty of the market.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The U.S. mint is out of control.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of the population is up for sale right now. >>

You didn't think many people bought these to keep and collect, did you? image
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126

<< <i>

<< <i>A lot of the population is up for sale right now. >>

You didn't think many people bought these to keep and collect, did you? image >>

Nope. However, the stampede is impressive.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a U.S. citizen and taxpayer, I think the time has come to stop issuing these limited edition coins that enrich only a tiny portion of the population. If a commemorative coin is truly worthwhile, it should be made available to all would like to purchase it, including those who order their coin via “snail mail.” Otherwise it is a black mark on the U.S. mint and the U.S. Government. >>

For those keeping score at home, Bill's on a roll this morning.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the Jane Pierce First Lady commemorative coin.

Her husband (Franklin in office from 1853 to 1857) was one of the worst U.S. presidents in history, and she was so depressed and mentally ill that she could not function. She sat upstairs at the White House talking to her recently deceased son.

This series is one of the silliest ideas that government has come up with yet. The only legitimacy it has is that it sends the money rolling in the U.S. treasury and makes money for those who can get their order into the mint.

As a U.S. citizen and taxpayer, I think the time has come to stop issuing these limited edition coins that enrich only a tiny portion of the population. If a commemorative coin is truly worthwhile, it should be made available to all would like to purchase it, including those who order their coin via “snail mail.” Otherwise it is a black mark on the U.S. mint and the U.S. Government.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are giving 70s on these like candy. This may reflect overall superb quality of the coins. Probably bad news for flippers, though.

This may be the first batch of 70s to eventually sell for near issue price once all the dust settles.
  • Options
    Perhaps the way to break the back of this thing would be make them all PR or MS-70. Many registry people seem to be more interested in registry points that coins. If they all got the same score, perhaps that would depress the market for these thing and leave the mint begging for customers.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Few days ago, I saw many PCGS MS/PR First Strike with Buy-It-Now of $650 ea.
  • Options
    PCGS 1st Strike MS70 $ 1430.00

NGC MS70 1414.00

Guess is not really worth sending in for 1st strike, as prices for PCGS 1st strike has drop dramasticaly and close or the same to NGC MS&PR70..

same thing goes for MS&PR 69...they are both closing in at the same prices...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file