Home U.S. Coin Forum

Someone on Ebay is going to pay $780 for a 1866 dime described as a Philly gibson4coins knows it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150145888237&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

A few people have told this guy this is NOT an 1866 but an 1866 S, seller must not care. People need to be careful when buying the rare Philly 1860's dimes that they are not weak S mints

This seller has been contacted by numerous people who know the difference but is going to cheat the buyer anyways.
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he has what appears to be a good return policy
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he has what appears to be a good return policy >>

Assuming the person who receives it has a way to find out it's really a '66-S within seven days. (And remember, with the "Bidder 1 / Bidder 2" thing, no one can warn them.)
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Assuming the person who receives it has a way to find out it's really a '66-S within seven days. (And remember, with the "Bidder 1 / Bidder 2" thing, no one can warn them.) >>

It's only 3 days, as I read the auction. And the coin is definitely an 1866-S, as Seateddime stated.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

<< <i>It's only 3 days, as I read the auction. And the coin is definitely an 1866-S, as Seateddime stated. >>

Yeah, you're right -- I was thinking of another bad auction I was just looking at.

Even worse. If you don't know it's a '66-S by looking at the picture and seeing the die crack which identifies it as Fortin-103 and Greer-102, you probably won't know within three days of getting the coin.

The diagnostic on this one is the die crack on the obverse. Most '66-S coins have sharply downsloping dates, but this one variety doesn't. It doesn't, however, have that die crack. I bought one of this variety a couple weeks ago; here it is -- note the die crack and the almost invisible mint mark. This die crack can be seen in the eBay photo, positively identifying it as a '66-S.

imageimage
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    this is the harder S mint to detect without the sharp slope.

It is still a tough coin, just not what the seller claims

• seller was made aware of that the day it was listed. either does not care or doesnt read his messages
    Board members:

This guy has been contact by Me, Gerry Fortin and 2 other board members and yet the sale is going on. A former friend from the boards has contacted the ANA as well. I can not warn the buyer but I think we would be doing the collecting community a service by all sending this guy a message on Ebay's mail system

Up to $780 with two hours to go. This guy has been contacted by multiple experts and is letting this one go. It's not an honest mistake any more, IMO.

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Okay. All of us reading this must contact eBay and let them know. They will take action. Unfortunately, it takes about a week to do so based on my past experience. But at least the buyer can use the fact that others spotted it as an S-mint and he/she would have a better chance of getting a refund. Anyone know who the seller is? Phone number?

<< <i>Up to $780 with two hours to go. This guy has been contacted by multiple experts and is letting this one go. It's not an honest mistake any more, IMO. >>

This guy has crossed the line

• slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I think if you place a bid you will be able to see the other bidders.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

He changed it to 3 days....image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    now over $800

"Bidder 11" looks like it might be a white knight.
  • on the other side of the proverbial coin, im not sure i would bid $800 on a coin if i wasnt 100% sure i knew what i was buying. now would be the time to contact the buyer, offer him one of my 66s dimes for $600 (it looks better than the one he just bought)
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bidder #11 must be a white knight. Name is "scumnuker" with feedback of -1. This looks like someone that wins fraudulent auctions from scumbags. Great!
    3 rim nicks away from Good

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Here he comes to save the day!!!
    Scumnuker

Rookie Joe
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There may be a possibility that the seller wasn't deliberately trying to rip anybody off. Feld had sent him eMails about the auction and just received this response:

<< <i>"I got my information from a local dealer.I have not been checking my account the last few days. I will say I am sory for not reading my messages.It is no ones problem but mine but I would never misrepresent an item on purpose.Again I am sorry and I learned somehing about seated lib dimes.Thanks, Dan" >>

Russ, NCNE
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scumnuker won it.image The posse' lives !image

Unfortunately Here is another one.image

<< <i>There may be a possibility that the seller wasn't deliberately trying to rip anybody off. Feld had sent him eMails about the auction and just received this response: >>

That's heartening if true, but if someone has a coin this valuable on eBay (if it was what he said it was), they should probably be around to answer questions people have about the item before they bid. After all, that's one of the things a lot of sellers stress in their listings -- please ask questions you have BEFORE you bid, not after...
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Ziggy,

There is a mitigating reason he wasn't around. I edited it out of the eMail because it's too personal.

Russ, NCNE
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen scumnuker in action for a while. image

His feedback, from a Chinese seller, is a real hoot. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>There is a mitigating reason he wasn't around. I edited it out of the eMail because it's too personal. >>

Ah.

Well, let's see if this transaction is "not completed by mutual agreement" and relisted as a '66-S.
  • I just wanted to thank all who participated in this thread so far. The discussion was intelligent, very interesting, and ultimately useful in that it persuaded me to *finally* subscribe to Gerry Fortin's Seated Dime Web site.

SeatedOrg, you were right of course about the pics of the 39-O that I sent you. Turns out to be an F-105.b. I also nabbed a 42-O on the Bay, slabbed by ANACS as a 20. I noticed the reverse strike looked very weak, but the picture wasn't that great, so I attributed the strike weakness to the New Orleans mint. I got it a couple of days ago, and it turns out to be an F-103, Shattered Reverse Type I. Broke it out for my album. Very cool!

Anyway, this was a great discussion. Thanks!
    Tony Barreca

"Question your assumptions."
    "Intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation."
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    lol russ, so fast. i did not even notice.
    welcome!
  • Thanks for the ups seateddime...reported
  • Welcome Tony!

Now post a picture of that gorgeous 1864-S for us.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Hey, Teags! Thanks for alerting me to this discussion. Unfortunately, the 64-S files are too large for this site to deal
    with, and I don't know how to reduce their size--which almost certainly also means reducing their resolution--
    without reshooting them. I don't have the time to do that right now.

Steve is referring to an 1864-S Seated dime I picked up at a flea market in Alameda, CA. I learned a fair amont its
    provenance from the used jewelry dealer from whom I acquired it. It's a gorgeous AU, in the 55 to 58 range, I figure.
    It's not MS and therefore to most collectors pales in comparison to the better Registry set specimens. But since my
    goal is to put together the best possible circulated set, it fits my aspirations.
    Tony Barreca

"Question your assumptions."
    "Intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file