Home U.S. Coin Forum

1959 Proof Frankie with 2 sided frost give away. Who is interested?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
I posted recently about good relationships with dealers and how for me it resulted in a gift of some raw proof franklins, including four 1959 proofs with two sided frost on the devices. They may not be frosty enough to get a CAM designation from a top tier TPG, but they do have a "Cameo" look and IMHO are very nice looking coins.

Well to share in my good fortune (and simply because I like this place), I will give two of the 1959 frankies away as gifts. If you are interested in receiving one of the coins as a gift (or if you can suggest someone else who should receive the coin as a gift), please reply to this post. In your reply state why you (or the third person you suggest) would like to get, or should get, the coin. For the other coin, it will be given to the person who comes closest in post count to a particular number I have in mind (no I won't tell what the number is, for obvious reasons).

I will review the replies to this post and decide (whoever is closest in post count to the number I have in mind; and the best reason stated why a particular person should get the coin) who the winners are. I will announce the winners on Thursday at noon California time (with a TTT), so post your reply before noon on Thrusday.

Have funimage

Comments

• rah1959rah1959 Posts: 964
    Hey....nice jesture to share your good fortune...

I will be selfish and nominate myself for one of the 1959 Frankies.....since it is my Birth Year...and even use the year in my Forum name....

My guess on your count number is 59

thanks for the chance
    RAH1959
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Looks like a winner in the first reply.

• eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    I would like to nominate my YN Stephen for the Frankie....He has been diligent in his persuit of his set.

My guess for the post count would be 69 image
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • 21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I have a super Frankie half set that got complete with upgrades that I had to do something else with it. So I bought a blank Dansco album page for proofs, Bugs Bunnies and DDO/R Frankies.

I currently have 1956 to 1963 proofs in cam except the 1959.

That said, thank you for your offer and I wouldn't mind paying for shipping or swapping...........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I would nominate any YN. & a number, well 62
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks for the sweet giveaway SanctionII. The 1959 is the last Cameo Franklin I need for a complete Franklin Proof Set.

I would also like to nominate my friend Bob who is not currently a member of these boards to have the second coin if I win.

Thanks for the chance. image
  • Since I dont have one frankie and i have been admiring the awsome ones that are posted on this forum Id like to throw my name in. And I should get it becuase it would be my first franklin.

and your thinking of 101

thanks

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, I see that people are interested in 1959 frosty frankies.

This should be a fun give away.
  • MrScienceMrScience Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I would like to nominate my YN, Jordan. When he first saw the Franklin halves in our local B&M coin shop, he told the owner that Ben was "kind of scary!" Nonetheless, he picked out a Frankie to purchase that day and has gravitated to them ever since. The only proofs he has are brilliant, and he'd very much appreciate a Frankie with some cameo contrast.

Thanks!
  • Thanks for the chance. I'll guess 215 and I wiuld like the Frankie as I am working with a Yn and trying to foster a reationship in coin collecting. His parents said he gets really excited about collecting. I have given him back issues of Coin World and some extra coins have had. He's 9 yrs old.
    He went to the Charlotte show and was like a kid in a candy store.

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Please enter my daughter Ellie for the coins. I would like her to have a nice pre-1960 proof cameo coin because I dont have one that she can have and pre-1960 Cameos are pretty scarce.

My guess: 63
  • thanks! and please give my win to the first YN that posts after me>>>>>>>>>>>
  • mattnissmattniss Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    There are too many YN's and more serious collectors that deserve one of your pieces a lot more than me, but it would definitely be nice to add to my Frankie set! Otherwise, thanks for the chance and I hope my low post count is close to what your number is!
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Heck, I'll give it a shot. I'd like to have one to give to my sister whom I finally got interested in Numismatics and happens to adore Proof coinage, particularly Cameo & DCAM. Also, she was born in 1959 so that would be extra cool.

I'm not sure what you mean about post count so I'll say it this way - if you mean posts to this thread I'll go with 48 cause from 1959 to 2007 is 48 years but if you mean YOUR total post count the guess would be 2859.

Thanx for the shot.

BOOM image

As usual - edited for spelling corrections. image
  • dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Thanks for the chance...
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to receive one of your Franklins because it just so happens I've started a Franklin set of some rather nice coins and The 59's are one of several I still need.

Thanks,

Tom
    Many happy BST transactions
  • I would like it since i just started the franklin proof set and dont have the 59 yet. My guess is 23
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, you should probably send it to me because it's a math thing!!!! let me explain-----1959/one + nine=ten, which is five and five. five + nine=fourteen, which is seven and seven. my birthdate is 7/7/55, so you see, it all makes sense!!! and my post number guess is twenty-four........................

hey, it sounded good when i first thought it!!image
  • I should get the Frankie because I would really like to add a nice example to my collection and the only Frankie I have as of now is a heavily cleaned one. The post number is....28.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I would like to nominate Shelby, daughter of member eyeyoung, because she sent me such a nice thank you note in my last giveawayimage

edited cause like an idiot, i posted the wrong forum member and daughters nameimage sorry Earlimage
    edited again to add the number 201 image
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • I agree that the first reply post got my nomination.... so I'll go for the random number thingy ~
  • I will nominate my Grandson Jordan, age 9, who is just beginning and as yet has no silver proof coins. I will guess number 31.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two nominees - first - any YN including those already mentioned. And second - I would send one to Laura Sperber - maybe she will see the light on modern proof cameos. image

As far as post count, I will go with 56.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• I will nominate Stephanie (Coinsarefun) as she is relatively new around here and seems to have a penchant for Franklins, which is great!

Post count 67 ( edit- I think there is some confusion [at least in my addled mind] on the post count thingy: the number is the sequential number of the post... which would make my post number 26? or a guess at the number of posts the contest reaches?? or ???)
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    me, I never win anything image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    I would be very interested in your giveaway. My only reason is because a frosty Frankie is one of the coins I'd like to have in my box of 20.

Millertime
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I win give it to Boom's sister. I don't know any YN's personally, but if I did I would definitely give them some cool freebies. For that matter, I don't know any Old ones either. image
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    cool......I nominate Jabba (spelling? The one who has the munked up face avatar). I don't know him, but he's been on a "CAM KICK" the last several months. I think this would look good with all his other ones. I personally don't have any Cameo Frankies, but why start now huh?

Good Luck Jabba (or whoever it is to that has that munked up face avatar.....you know who I'm talking about)!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    TTT.

After reading bushmaster8's reply, I reread my opening post. He does not have addled brainsimage. I did not state the contest for the second coin clearly so I will clarify in the next paragraph.

I have selected a number (I guess one could lable it a post count number but in reality it is just a number) which has a special meaning to me. For those who reply to this thread, guess what the number I have selected is (if you replied earlier but did not guess, feel free to reply a second time with your guess). The person whose guess comes closest to the number I selected wins coin #2. In the event of a tie, the person who posts the winning guess earlier wins.

I also will extend the contest by an additional 24 hours (given the expansion of same discussed below) and reveal the 5 winners at noon California time on 8-3-2007.

Just to make things even more fun (since I goofed up in explaining the rules for contest for coin #2) I will expand the "frosty frankie" give away to include two of the 1962 frosty frankies and the 1961 frosty frankie.

One of the 1962 frosty frankies will be given to the poster whose post is numerically the closest to the number I have selected (i.e. if the number I selected is 387, the poster whose post is numerically closest in count to 387 will win [say a total of 89 replies are posted by the contest deadline, the person who posted reply #89 will win since it is closest to 387].

The other 1962 frankie and the 1961 frankie will be given to the reply posts that I consider the second and third best (the first best reply post will get a 1959 frankie).

Have some more funimage
    TTT for the evening crew; and to generate smoe more interest.
    TTT.

For those of you who posted earlier and are waiting for winners to be announced today, the giveaway has been expanded and extended until noon, California time tomorrow. Get back to you then.
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a guess at 34...thanks for the chance...oh, why do I like Frosted Franklins? Well I don't have one and really like Franklins...I have been working on an MS set and it will be the first set I finish I think (ever! And I have been collecting a loong time!)...closest to a Frosted Franklin I have has a pretty nice reverse but the obverse is typical frost free.

K

Edited for grammar...
    ANA LM
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Because I'm an unemployed kid and next time someone asks me to pull out a "Franklin," I can just pull out the proof Franklin half!

Edited to add: Number you're think of is 1793 (I don't know how I came up with that...)

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Give it to the unemployed kid above... if he promises to keep it in a holder if he uses it as a pocket piece. I have no idea what my post number is, but if i win give it to him anyways.

John
  • I would love one of your Franklins because I don't own one. I love the collecting,reading and posting here but I don't have the monetary means to purchase coins. Most of my coins have come from recieving them in change, I have made four new coin purchases since I started collecting and all the rest have been found or given to me. One day I will have a proof Franklin.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    I am interested in getting the frankie because I have been entering giveaways on these boards for a very long time, and I never win. Winning is very gratifying.

Number is ... 659
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love a 1959 Frankie... special year for me..... But would like any of the offerings... 1949... Thanks, Cheers, RickO

• "Frosted Frankies".... the new breakfast revolution - cereal promoted by the ANA.
    The first series will have cut-em-out-yourself collector cards on the back of the box (Franklin Half, of course)... Collect All the Varieties!!
    A new & exciting way to bring the whole family into the numismatic community!!
    Watch for these varieties, Coming Soon to a store near you: "Lincoln Loops", "Presidential Puffs" & "Kennedy Krunch".

Oh yeah, a number..... hmmmm.... I'll go with my favorite: 88
  • mattnissmattniss Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    For my number guess, I'm just going out on a whim and going with 123. Thanks (again!) for the (new) chance(s)!
  • I'll guess 999
    thanks for the chance
  • I'm going to echo eyoung's nomination of his YN Stephen, and go with a post count of 57. And as for the number you have in mind for the 2nd coin, I'll go with 86.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I would like to nominate my Daughter Taylor, I will guess a number (if we need to) (not sure we do) of 70 for the grades I hope to get on my next submission. LOL

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would enter the drawing for my son.
    We have a franklin album we started with franklins we found in rolls of kennedys from the bank (roll searching) and then moved up to MS frankies.
    He has a few proofs, but not a '59 and none with frost (just average proof franklins), so it would be a cool one for him.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I would like to suggest my brother as a recipient. He was born in 1959, graduated High School in 1978, married in 1980, and had a son in 1986.

I am 3 years older then he is, and I’ve never had any children.

His son just gave up a collage scholarship (during his junior year) to join the army. He has always been a “Deans Row” student, so grades weren’t the reason he left. The reason: (in his own words): “I feel like I have been given everything and every opportunity and I should give something back while I’m still able”.

WOW! What a sense of responsibility! And he didn’t do this via officer school (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Flat out, he decided it was time to pay back America. He is now in Hawaii undergoing counter-intelligence training.

Kudos to my brother for instilling such a sense of values in his only son (and my only nephew!).

Number guess…..111

Recipient nomination: my brother, born the Ides of March, 1959

FloridaBill
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding in my number guess..... 47

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Thanks for this very impresive giveaway, this would be the nicest Frankie in my collection and my number guess is 500----Thanks Tom
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • I would like to be included in this giveaway...
    My father was born in 1959 and has a birthday coming up in September.
    I think he would love it as a gift from me since I never know what he would like but I know he loves to collect coins.
    Thanks..

TTT.

Sorry folks I am about 2 hours late in posting the give away winners. Due to a tie in guessing the number I thought of, I will give away 6 of the 10 Frosty Frankies I was given as a gift by a dealer. The number I thought of was 26. 26 has signifcance to me since my dad was born in 1926 and since he started me collecting when in 1963 he gave me a Whitman dime album to fill from pocket change [I filled it and still have it]. No one actually guessed 26 but one person guessed 24 and another guessed 28, both two away from 26.

Here are the winners:

Coin #1 - 1959 Frankie - goes to Florida Bill's Brother (for raising a great son);

Coin #2 - 1959 Frankie - goes to Keets, who guessed 24;

Coin #3 - 1959 Frankie - goes to Coinguy19, who guessed 28;

Coin #4 - 1962 Frankie - goes to Bushmaster8, since his reply was reply #26;

Coin #5 - 1962 Frankie - goes to holeinone 1972 (for his daughter Taylor); and

Coin #6 - 1961 Frankie - goes to ModernCrapNut (for his grandson Jordan).

Thanks to all for participating. I had fun and enjoy spreading my good fortune. To claim the Frosty Frankies, I ask the winners to PM me with names and addresses for mailing purposes. I will pay the shipping costs.

Once again, congrats to the winners and thanks everyoneimage Have a grand weekend.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Bump for everyone who wants to see the results.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file