Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Are '89 Topps Football so lame that..

they don't even warrant being in the SMR? Good thing I tucked a few boxes of them away back when they came out.image Probably not even worth today what I paid for them then.
#10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have a factory set, two hand made sets and three update sets somewhere in my basement.image
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    outside of the major stars that player collectors slab or purchase mostly in 10 cause there so cheap, there really not worth listing in SMR.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Probably not even worth today what I paid for them then."

Maybe not but it is a very nice set, loaded with HOF'ers and RC's.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I totally agree! I think they are very sharp looking. I thought it was just before the market was flooded with football cards. I know Score was very limited. Were the Topps just over produced? I also think that had Sterling Sharpe not been forced to retire as soon as he did, his card would be worth WAY more than it is now. He would have had a ring, another Super Bowl, and possibly behind only Rice in several career receiving records.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Overproduction for sure!!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Overproduction, and they did not have the 1989 Rookies like Pro Set and Score did (Topps just had the 1988 draft class, Pro Set and Score had 1988 and 1989). Topps was passe at the time... Pro Set was king in 1989 because no one wanted Score after their lackluster 1988 Baseball set. It took a few months for the hobby to realize how limited Score was, and how gimmicky Pro Set was. Topps just never entered the equation.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I know I have about 50 to 60 rack packs that I picked up for .25 ech in 1989 after the season was over.

I kind of remember something about a player that may have been a short print or something like that because he did not have have contract with Topps but I am not sure. I think the player was Micheal Dean Perry?

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    If anyone wants a psa 10 1989 Topps Sterling Sharpe rookie, just let me know. $17 delivered!

Brian
  • Options
    Brian,

Have a Score10 or ProSet 10?
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    1989 was kinda the super year for rookie cards during that era. Even in baseball there was some good ones too. 1990 was a monster too in all sports. Maybe even better than 1989 once you include the Hockey RC's that came out that year. Oh boy, those were the fun days.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    No score or Proset, I just have a psa 10 1989 topps Sterling Sharpe just waiting for a good home!

B
  • Options
    If I didn't already have one, I'd take it.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    junk . . . don't waste space storing them.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I have often wondered how Sharpes stats and honors match up with someone like Sayers whose career was cut short by injury as well. He was for a sure a dominant reciever in his time. Too bad it could have lasted another few years or he would probably be in the HOF by now. Just think him with Favre in '95, '96 and '97. Favre might have beat Marino's record in '96 then.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1989 was kinda the super year for rookie cards during that era. Even in baseball there was some good ones too. 1990 was a monster too in all sports. Maybe even better than 1989 once you include the Hockey RC's that came out that year. Oh boy, those were the fun days. >>

Very true.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "1989 was kinda the super year for rookie cards during that era."

Very true, your had Cris Carter. Sterling Sharpe, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Bruce Matthews, Rod Woodson, Thurman Thomas, John Taylor, James Hasty, Flipper Anderson, Chris Chandler, Eric Allen, Anthony Miller and a few others.

Add the traded set and you get Barry Sanders, Troy Aikman, Deon Sanders, Derrick Thomas, plus.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.