Home Metal Detecting
Options

Another Large Copper and a watcha-ma call it

Did a little deep woods hunting this evening- something I don't usually do much of- earned alot of respect for the guys that do. Remembered the long pants (even though its 80 plus degrees) and even the boots, forgot the bug spray and big shovel. Really missed the bug spray...

Anyways back to the location, a friend of mine owns some property that was once part of a small town that pretty much disappeared into the woods and became just a crossroads with a few houses during the 1920's era. About 10 years ago someone cut a road back into the other side of the woods to get at about a dozen or so very old car bodies that were left behind in some long forgotten junk yard- nothing was newer than the 20's. My friends property is overgrown as well, last fall his son took me to the site, but it had rained alot and everything was swampy. You could spot the old basements and house foundations by the water pools, we even found an old well. My friend is now in the process of selling the land and told me if I wanted to go check it out again I could- the developer had bulldozed a couple paths back through the woods - I am guessing to see what the terrain was like. So tonight I decided to follow his path back in- was alot dryer and a little more spookier this time - something about being in the woods by myself I guess with the headphones on made me quite jumpy. I walked in not expecting to find much more than alot of trashy signals- which is what I had encountered on my last brief visit in the fall. Right on the path as I got near the first sink hole I got a strong signal- figured it was going to be a can- then out popped a coin! I knew by the color it had to be an old copper- scraped it off- and wait a minute- an old building- I dug one of these last fall:

imageimage

An 1844 Canadian bank token 1/2 penny, in much better shape than the bent and heavily corroded one I found last year.Soil seemed almost like clay, there's a slow moving river not to far away from site.
My hopes were high with this kind of start, but in the next 2 1/2 hours I didn't find much, not even many junk signals, so near the end of the hunt I moved closer to the old well site and found this one thingy- it appears to be brass or copper, maybe even plated metal, atout 3 X 4 inches:

imageimage

My hopes were really up for maybe findind some Barber or seated liberty coinage, but tonight was not the night I guess. On the walk out I got one more strong signal- it was a newer lincoln laying right on top of the ground, probably dropped by me on the way in or by the guy running the bulldozer. Not sure when the land deal is done, but I will definately try to keep in touch with new owner as well, and maybe once they have cleared the entire area get a chance at hunting it again, I gotta believe there is more buried there...and hopefully some of it in US $$.

Comments

• Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Sounds like an excellent place to hunt. I'd hit that hard all summer, there's bound to be coins or artifacts burried there. Bring a ladder next time and go down the old well. Maybe it was a wishing well, lol.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bring a ladder next time and go down the old well >>

Too many water snakes and frogs for me to go down there...
  • Options
    Cool token Kev. Yep, that's a "whatcha-ma-call-it".

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Its really a thingamujig
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The well is important.. get hip boots and a partner to lower you on a rope rig... well worth the trouble. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bring a ladder next time and go down the old well >>

Too many water snakes and frogs for me to go down there... >>

Watersnakes, ok, but what's the problem with frogs?

Anyway, lest the snakes keep you from continuing your search, just remember Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Watersnakes, ok, but what's the problem with frogs? >>

The snakes like to chase the frogs...

Anyways, I don't see my 250 lb body swinging from a rope or climbing down any well soon, maybe if I still weighed the 155 I did when I graduated high school. Now my friends son is 21, I might be able to talk him into going down on a ladder after a few beers, but I don't know about letting him take my detector down there...
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    If I were to venture a guess I would say that your thingamajig is part of the framwork from a clocks movement. Any markings?
    Something like this....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... Dockwalliper, I believe you ID'd the watch-ma-call it.... excellent pick up.... Cheers, RickO