Home Sports Talk
Options

Braves Acquire Mark Teixeira

Braves Acquire Mark Teixeira

According to Ken Rosenthal, the deal is finally done, pending a review of medical records. The Braves will receive Mark Teixeira and lefty reliever Ron Mahay, while the Rangers will get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects.

I bet this will be the only real deal this year. Its such a weak market.

Comments

• Options
    It is a weak market, and there are only a handful of teams who really are out of it. Combine a shrinking market with an expanding number of teams in the playoff hunt, and you have just a couple names out there.

Octavio Dotel and Eric Gagne are two who will likely move, Brad Lidge though the Astros want way too much in compensation for him....Jermaine Dye is likely going to the red sox.
  • Options
    Dye is a free agent at the end of the year so he would be just a rent a player. I would rather have Dye than Pena but is it also worth a pitching prospect?
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    T e i x e i r a

Hope they didn't have to pay extra for vowels.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options

<< <i>T e i x e i r a

Hope they didn't have to pay extra for vowels. >>

Jarrod Saltalamacchia. I think they've got a few extra letters from Jarrod's jersey to put on Mark's new one. image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suprised he didnt make his way to the Yankees.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I hope Tex likes 3rd place

JS
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Suprised he didnt make his way to the Yankees. >>

I'm sure that will be an early Christmas present for him and Boras.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Suprised he didnt make his way to the Yankees. >>

The Yankees are not and have not been in the business of trading off prospects for quite a while now. And thank goodness for that image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>I hope Tex likes 3rd place

JS >>

Well since the Rangers are 46-59 and 16 games out, I'm sure he's thrilled. (JS are you really a phillies fan?)
  • Options
    This is a good move for the braves. Big bat, solid glove. Reminds me of when the Braves acquired Fred Mcgriff many years back.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    > I hope Tex likes 3rd place

Firstly the Braves did not get a player called "Tex". They traded for a guy called "Mark Tiexeira". He plays first. Their current best first base player is a guy called Julio Franco who just turned 48 (49 on August 23rd). Last year they had a guy called Mark LaRoche who is batting .270 for the lowely Pirates this year. ????

Second, the Braves have a 3rd baseman called Larry Jones. He has not said he will retire or that he wants to be traded, so figure he will be around longer than Tiexeira.

Third, even though this may appear as a good short term move, it will backfire on the Braves. Salty will be a star catcher, and will absolutly be wasted in the Rangers organization! (Like every other player that has ever entered their locker room.) Look for him to eventually be in pinstripes!

Indeed, this is a good short term move to assist the bats in Atlanta. However, with only two consistent pitchers in the rotation, it will be another "almost" year for the Bravos!

Cheers,
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    MrG,
    I think you meant Adam LaRoche, and he was benched in his last season with the Braves for forgetting to take his ADD medicine and not running out routine plays. Let the Pirates have him, I'm happier with Julio Franco than Mr Short Attention Span at first!

The Braves will miss Saltalamacchia down the road but if McCann stays healthy, Salty would have gotten wasted as a back up in Atlanta anyway.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I heard he turned down a $140MM extension from the Rangers.

Is that true?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    F1,

You are correct! It was Adam & not Mark. (Not certain where I got that!) I do recall Roche's lack of effort, and the subsequent benching. Seemed very appropriete at the time.

I think many wanted Bobby to move Salty to first, which he did do a few games. (I do recall voting in a poll for this on the Braves home page.) But my son, who keeps up with the team much more than I, said that he had not looked mobile enough in the games he has played at first.

Julio is a fine backup first baseman for the team, and a great resource as translator & coach to the younger latin-american players. Teixeira will be a great hitting addition to the team, and shore up the defense to boot. (His stats obviously back that up.) Hopefully, this will be another occurance in the Rangers history, where they gave up a player who went on to have an exceptional career after leaving.

Cheers,
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    You were probably thinking of Mark DeRosa!
  • Options
    Nice first game for the three new braves.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey