Home Metal Detecting

small Coinstar find

milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
Leaving a local grocery store I glanced at the coinstar machine and found these in the reject bin.

Total US was 86 cents with a 1956D wheatie, and very nice 1961 Lincoln penny (my birth year). There was also a Septa token (for public transportation) that I think is about $2.00 now. The bottom four coins are plastic. The foreign coins are a 1995 Brazil 50 centavos, a 1975 Panama coin, 2 2006 Mexico dollars, and a 1985 Philipinas 1 piso. Since I don't collect coins they will go into a jar of foreign coins I have found over the years and give them to my son when he gets older. One of these days I will join everyone here and get a detector. For now I will keep hunting with my eyes.

Keep hunting and post scans of your finds please!

Thanks,
Bob
ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing.. every time I check the coinstar bin, it is empty.... some guys are just lucky... imageimage Cheers, RickO
  • I guess I need to find one of those things. I did get 45 cents out of a thing called a pay phone a few weeks ago ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    A pay phone.............Oh yes, I remember reading about those in history books along with the typewriter.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • payphone? What are those? lol.
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Small finds? that tray must have been full. I happened by a Coin Star yesterday myself- saw two dirty looking quarter size objects in the tray- was thinking maybe some silver- but just turned out to be two really dirty beat up quarters.
  • I always have my sons check em, 7/9..its like a treasure hunt, and I inspect the findings..if they pull silver I give em money based on the denomination..a week ago..my son pulled a 1958 rosie..had to barter with him...offered a dollar..he wanted 1.30..after a bit..he settled for 1.16..kids!

also pulled a 59 quarter from one a while ago...overall they have been really generous to my kids ..lol..

have quite a collection of finds..

tell the kids go check the green machines!
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, darn, so plastic cents and dimes don't work?

I'm surprised a Coinstar would reject a Panamanian quarter-Balboa piece. It is, after all, struck by the US Mint on a US quarter blank. Aside from the design, it's no different than a US quarter.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I always check the Coinstar machine when I go by it but all I ever come up with is a few battered Memorials and some Canadian coins.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage