Home Metal Detecting

Best entry level gear

Hey, there.

I want to get some input on decent entry-level gear, and what sort of gear is essential to metal-detecting, other than, you know, the metal detector . image

I used to do a little with my father back in the '70s. Sounds like fun.
If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards...enjoy!! Depending on budget, there are many varieties of the following available. You will need a pinpointer (Bullseye is good), digging tool, Pockets - like a vest or jacket.. or belt held containers, dirt seive - (mainly for beach), headphones, heck - it goes on and on... you can go bare bones... but better to have the tools. Try googling Kelley.... they have all sorts of supplies .. as does treasurehunter.. etc. Cheers, RickO
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    I am very happy with my Ace 250
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    As for a detector, the Garrett Ace 250 and White's Prizm line of detectors are good units to start with, each within the $200 to $300 dollar range. I've also heard of Bounty Hunter, I don't know anything about them, but they can be purchased at Radio Shack and Wal-Mart as far as I know. Mixed reviews on their performance. In the end, most performance comes from the user's ability, until you move into top of the line units with multi-frequency detection. Even then, the user is the most important feature.

The Lesche digger is considered a must by many MDists out there, but Fiskars makes a nice alternative with a lifetime warranty, at a much better price, called the Big Grip Garden Knife. It can be found at retails stores like Target, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart in their garden departments, I found one at Target for $11.

Fiskars Big Grip

The Lesche will run you considerably more, but may be well worth the money.

Beyond that, as has been previously mentioned, a pinpointer is very handy. I use a White's Bullseye II, a hand-held unit whose sensitivity can be set to detect metal from about 3 inches on down. These are an investment piece at $120 on the White's website. I see them sell on eBay used, at a considerable discount.

Bullseye II

I like to wear a tool belt with divided compartments for trash, keepers, and I carry a small canister with a snapping lid for my more small or treasured finds. It also has compartments for my Bullseye and my different digging tools.

When I'm digging in yards, parks, and school yards I carry a towel to place the plug and dirt I remove while digging. It makes keeping the dirt together and refilling holes much easier to simply dump a towel of dirt rather than attempt at scooping loose dirt from the ground.

Other than that, I carry my machine and headphones. Oh, and I always wear a ball cap.

As for choosing a detector, LordMarcovan has a great write up on how to choose based upon several design features, price range, detecting goals, etc. That can be found here:

Lord M's Advice

Hope this helps. Happy hunting.

Ross
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Well said Ross!!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Thanks for all the help. I'm jones-ing to hit some well-used parks and playgrounds in my area! I'll let you know what I find.
    If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.
  • for what it's worth...i too use the ace250 and have been very happy with it....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage