Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detector/Detectoring

Hi im not sure if this is where this should go but yea. I am looking to get into the hobby i am 18 and i live in Fort Myers, Florida. What should I go with for starting off? I want something thats going to work and find something just as good as anything else but a good beginner one that is not gonna cost me an arm and a leg. Also is there anywhere good to look where im at?
Great place to find old maps of cities Old City Maps Username-residence Password-welcome

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    LoL thats not really a response by hi new member im new as well lol
    Great place to find old maps of cities Old City Maps Username-residence Password-welcome
  • Options
    I'm new to the forum as well, as you can see by my blank post above.

To answer your questions, I'm a White's detector operator, and I love my machines. However, many other detectorists are just as loyal to other brands and for good reasons. If you'd like to look into White's detectors, I'd go to their homepage:

www.whiteselectronsics.com

You can request a catalog and search for a local Fort Meyers dealer. White's will send dealer info along with the catalog.

A great way to get amazing deals on new detectors is to watch forums just like this one, many dealers will have forum-wide sales at substantially marked down prices.

There is a gentleman selling Fisher detectors at a steal on the www.findmall.com forum.

I do believe all brands and models have their own strengths and weaknesses, but one's ability as an operator is the most variable unknown in the equation of metal detecting. Whatever machine you decide upon will require field time, hours and hours, to "master" the machine. I am a fairly new detectorist, and by no means am I a master, but I believe a few individuals in our hobby deserve such a title. If you invest in a machine, don't give up on it when it looks like the beginners luck has run out or has never shown its face to begin with.

As for spots to hunt in your area, beach hunting can be enjoyable, and for that you may want to invest in a water detector, though it will cost a little more than the average "beginner" machine. I can tell you, there are hundreds of old train depots up and down the state of Florida, go to your county museum or records keeper, find out where they were located. A few may even be standing today. These can be fairly effective sites because of the staggering numbers of people who came in and out of the depots.

You can also find old maps of almost any area in the 50 states at the Library of Congress website. I don't remember the address, but google it, it's one of those .gov sites.

Anyway Bud, it's a great hobby, I'm only 23 myself and enjoy every swing of the coil. I wish I would have invested in a detector at 18, I'd be much more proficient at it now.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Ross
  • Options

The Garrett Ace 250 is a great starter machine.
    It's inexpensive and has a lot of the bells and whistles of higher end machines.
    I have no clue as to how well it works on the beach. I think we have a few users here that can tell you more,

John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    BTW image ROSS!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you for the welcome! It's a nice forum.
  • Options
    i think there's a dealer in cape coral....you need to decide what kind of hunting you want to do first before you decide on a detector...land?...beach?...water?...that will help you figure out what kind of machine you'll be needin?....going used may be an option because you can get a higher end machine designed for the type of hunting you choose to do at a lower price....on land the ace 250 works great!...i have one and love it, can't beat the price....it also works great on the dry sand at the beach, but in the wet sand it stinks, and you can fgorget about going in the water...as for water machines i have an excalibur/minelab...a bit pricey but a great machine....talk to that dealer in cape coral, he should set ya straight on a machine that will be perfect for you.......welcome to the forum and i look forward to seeing some nice finds......i have often thought about hitting the sidewalks in front of the edison/ford estate but i have'nt had the time when i'm in ft. myers......maybe we can get together for a hunt next time i'm in town (thanksgiving)....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and howdy, new fellers!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    I am new as well, I just bought a Garrett Ace 250 and am VERY satisfied.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    WOW thanks all glad to hear all the responses and be welcomed to the forum. Another question but I might as well ask it before I do it. Im not sure what I want to do first, water, beach, or land what would you recommend to a beginner. And sure if your gonna be down here for thanksgiving I wouldnt mind that at all maybe you could show me a few senior pointers
  • Options
    Garrett Ace 250
    Alright about this model i have looked more into it but how does it perform can someone give me some details is it good for a beginner is it worth the money? does it perform well in beach sand, dirt, anything but water i guess? feel free to help me out because i will probably go get one this weekend
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. There are many good detectors... and a lot depends on your level of interest and dedications. The White's DFX is the cadillac of detectors... check out the forum www.dfxonly.com for good information. Final decision is yours of course... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The store in capecoral do they have a website a phone number or address or something i cant seem to find anything over in the cape
  • Options
    Garrett Ace 250...

Bought it, took it out of box, assembled it, put batteries in it... finding change ever since, and a couple of SWEET relics (a 1927 Cheufeurs badge and a FORD part from a Model (insert letter here) vehicle.)

Worth every penny for what you get...
  • Options
    k anyone else got any other comments about it i would like to hear all there is about people that own them before i go and buy one
  • Options

<< <i>k anyone else got any other comments about it i would like to hear all there is about people that own them before i go and buy one >>

Go here and put Ace 250 in the search box.
    You will be reading for hours.
    imageimage
  • Options
    haha thx that probably will have me reading for hours... also i still would like to know if anyone here has any personal experience with it such as what types of terrain of searching how easy it is to use w/e else
  • Options
    From what I understand, the White's Prizm II or III are in about the same price range as the Garrett Ace 250 and are really great machines. So you may want to find a dealer to compare the two before purchase.

Family Hardware Do-It Express 5.5 miles from Fort Myer 33901
    622 SE 47th Terrace
    Cape Coral, FL 339048519
    239-542-6365

WEBSITE
  • Options
    The gentleman who owns Family Hardware is known as "Ed SW Fla" on the www.findmall.com forum, really nice guy. He has a book for beginners about detecting that I believe he gives away with the purchase of a detector. You can also purchase the book from White's directly.

Ross
  • Options
    K i am between either the Prizm II or the Garett Ace 250 both around same price range in my opinion the Ace 250 looks better
  • Options
    on the prizm II it doesnt have a depth gauge on the Ace 250 it does so i think that might be my make or break point
  • Options
    I understand completely. I hunt with a White's XLT primarily, if I ever upgrade, it may very well be to a Minelab Explorer SE, simply because it appears to be slightly more turn on and go than a White's DFX, it's main competitor. At the same time, I know White's machines, and I don't know if I want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire with a new setup.

No matter what you do, I'd find a dealer for both detectors, and get a hands on demonstration on each machine.
  • Options
    do you know where to go to get a Garett Ace 250 close to here? Fort Myers Florida
  • Options
    The following are all Garrett dealers in Florida.

Treasure Scoop
    11231 Trinity Pl.
    Naples, FL - 34114
    Tel: 239-774-0544

Ideal Metal Detectors
    2121 Dodge Ave.
    Sarasota, FL - 34234
    Tel: 941-953-6082

HobbyTown USA
    2464 W Brandon Blvd
    Brandon, FL - 33511
    Tel: 813-655-6366

Pioneer Aluminum
    119 91st Ave.
    Treasure island, FL - 33706
    Tel: 727-345-2500

HobbyTown USA
    3615 S Florida Ave Suite 1030
    Lakeland, FL - 33803
    Tel: 863-644-0197
  • Options
    yea i looked the only person that is close to me is the naples dealership and thats about 1 hour away
  • Options
    for the prizm II it looks more professional then the Ace 250 is it absolutly neccessary for a depth reader or does it just make it a little more difficult. Since it doesnt have a depth reader how far can the metal detector detect? because if it doesnt say and its 2 feet down i dont want to search FOREVER
  • Options
    I've heard 7 to 8 inches on the Prizm II, but a depth finder is really nice to have. They make aftermarket depth finders that work much better than any on-board variety. The majority of your finds are going to be within the 4 inch margin. Even with my XLT I rarely dig past 5 inches.

With or without depth reading ability, I recommend scooping your plug and the dirt that follows on to a towel. It's easier to search for your find if it isn't showing its face at the bottom of the plug, and it makes filling your hole much, much, much easier.

• Options
    What would you recommend the Prism II for 199$ without depth finder or Prism III for 299$ with depth finder no other differences
  • Options
    I'd go with the Prizm III, I've considered buying one myself as a secondary unit. I've seen some amazing items come out of the ground with a PIII. Plus, you never know what Ed could work out for you, might get you a heck of a deal.
  • Options
    is there any other difference between the Prism II then Prism III does it find more things then the Prism II is it more accurate or what not?
  • Options
    also do you know any good areas around here or where i could find a record of all the railroad tracks in florida
  • Options
    The Prizm II and III are basically the same machine, same technology, the depth reader is the only improvement I know of.

As for the train depots, I'm originally from Osceola County, Kissimmee/St. Cloud, I went to the County Museum, they were able to tell me a lot. If you don't have a museum or county records clerk, I'd go to the library and ask questions. They should be able to help a lot.
  • Options
    hmm sounds good to me i think ima go with the prism III or the Ace 250 im leaning more towards teh Prism III. So what part of Florida do you live in now how often do you go out and whats the best thing you have found so far how long have you been doing it and what is the longest time you have spent looking
  • Options
    << hmm sounds good to me i think ima go with the prism III or the Ace 250 im leaning more towards teh Prism III. So what part of Florida do you live in now how often do you go out and whats the best thing you have found so far how long have you been doing it and what is the longest time you have spent looking >>

I no longer live in Florida. I bounce back and forth between Savannah, Georgia, Houston, Texas, and Waterloo, South Carolina currently. I guess Houston is where I officially live. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia through the middle of August.

I've been detecting for 10 months. I'm very new to the hobby.

From a monetary perspective, my best find is a either a huge 14 k men's white gold band or a Tag Heuer watch I found in some bushes on the surface.

But I've found over $100 in modern change, tons of silver jewelry, a little bit of other gold odds and ends, a meteorite, tons of cool tokens, pocket watch parts, buckles, buttons, old dog collar tags (surprisingly collectible), and tons of neat relic type farm equipment and metal.

As for how often I detect, daily if possible, right now I'm not very busy, so I detect 4 or 5 times a week. With my job, I'm away a lot, different schools and what not to go to, so I've gone weeks without detecting. I always try to bring my detector with me, but sometimes it's not possible. My average hunt is 2 to 3 hours I'd guess, but that's variable. I've gone 30 minutes and hung it up and I've gone 8 hours. Just depends on the moment.

Sometimes I'll find $10 in change and a ring in the first hour, and sometimes I'll find 75 cents in 3 hours.
  • Options
    sounds good so would you think the finds that you get would pay off the metal detector in say 1 month if you detect 3-5 days a week or maybe 2 months or what not
  • Options
    ooo, that's hard to say, some detectorists pay off their investment multiple times over, some never will, it's just a great hobby, really fun to know you're preserving a little part of history. You can get rich detecting, but the major portion of us never will. It will take awhile to pay off that investment, but it's well worth it.
  • Options
    sounds good to me well i think im going to go with the prism III well keep in touch and same goes for everyone i will be sure to post my first finds
  • Options
    Good stuff. Good luck. Happy Hunting!
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Welcome to the forum.

I have a Whites DFX and definitely fall into the category of "will never pay off the investment in the detector"

Have fun!
  • Options
    haha you never know you could find that one peice image
  • Options
    in three years of hunting i have found more than enough to pay for 3 machines...i hunt in the water 98% of the time...maybe that will help you to figure out what kind of detector to get....water machine!.....i have never used the prism, i love the ace though, but my minelab is my favorite.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum......I use a Garrett, but hey...whatever you decide...use it!
  • Options
    thanks i appreciate it i will and everyone will see my finds soon enough
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I use an Ace 250 and have found objects 14 inches below the surface. Turned out to be a toy pistol. I also have a Whites 5000-D which is an older model. Both work very well.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Thanks for the response i have chosen to buy a White's Prism III