Home Metal Detecting
Options

July starts off with large silvers :-)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Woo hoo, it's July - the holiday month in Zot's corner of the world. image
I've managed to take some time off myself too, so this could be a good MD'ing month (at least I'll have time, but that doesn't guarantee anything in itself...)

It's light outside almost around the clock.. This picture was taken after 10 PM image

I got out a few times in June too, but finds were hard to come by (I've exhausted the good spot that yielded some nice silvers earlier this year).
The only silver item in June was this charm with a camel and palm trees. It was deep, and is probably quite old. Hand made.

July then...
Due to limited time for research during the winter, I only have two interesting new sites that I've earmarked for detecting in July.
These finds are from the first of them.

July 1

This was my first hunt during the height of summer, and I had forgotten how different detecting is compared to spring or autumn:

1) It's hot. I was immediately sweating big time, with sweat dripping off the tip of my nose into the hole I was kneeling over..
2) Mosquitoes. Grr... these are a reason for the sweating too. In the woods, it's a must to cover yourself more than would be desired temperature-wise, partly to avoid scratching yourself on branches and stuff, but particularly because of the mosquitoes. I even have one of those beekeeper-like hats that completely covers my head with a protective net, but that wasn't quite needed this time. It was bad enough though..

Right off the bat I got a promising signal. It was over a big root, so this would take some time...

My troubles paid off, as I recovered a silver coin - a 25 penniä 1890. Ha! A great start!

Not long afterwards I got another highly similar signal, and was delighted to see some silver shining in the plug.
It was another 25 penniä, this time the date was 1901.

Encouraged by this, I continued going through the area.
I already now know that I'll definitely need to come back to this site during early spring: The undergrowth was so thick in many places that I was struggling to get the coil close enough to the ground, quite possibly missing some deep targets.

An hour or two into the hunt (I tend to lose track of time completely when detecting if I don't have any pressing timelines to keep..) I got a very promising signal in the high 70's VDI.
It sounded like there could possibly be more than one target, but the signal(s) were too close together to tell for sure.

Out of the hole plopped an 1870's copper 5 penniä. I scanned the hole again, and there was still a signal in it. OK now... the other coin is a silver, yes?..

..and indeed it was, and a bigger silver this time image

Finnish 1 Markka 1874, only the second of these I've found.

Pumped up by this, I continued my search... and soon got an awesome signal - mid 80's range and very strong.
A short while later I realised that I'd achieved one of my main goals for this year - I'd finally dug a silver 2 Markkaa coin image

Finnish 2 Markkaa 1870 image
The obverse reads: 47.24 pieces from a pound of fine silver (you will note that the 1 Markka coin above states 94.48, i.e. double the number of pieces)
I'm always fascinated about this detailed information provided about the quantity of fine silver these coins contain image

The average hourly wage in 1870 was 0.19 markkaa, so this was pretty big money back then...

The obverse is very clean and still has a lot of detail

I sort of lost focus after this, and had to call it a day... image

Here's the day's silver catch.

July 3

A new day, a new opportunity! Same site as before.

No large silvers this time, but I managed to get two 25 penniä silvers - 1875 and 1891.
Here they are:

Thanks for looking!
Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Z, You make my day!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Those are some awesome finds. Your story and pics make it that much more exciting. I will definitely get out today
  • Options
    Great finds Erik. Those big silvers are gorgeous. Gotta love'em. What did they ring in at on your MXT?

Love the pictures too. I've never done any detecting at 10PM, but I have played golf and fished that late up in Canada. Playing golf at midnight is kind of strange. I'd bet detecting is fun though.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    WTG Zot... glad to see you're getting out despite the heat imageimage (sounds like these icons aren't only for the U.S. East coast guys)

I like the 1 Markka, but that 2 Markka is great... what a hunk of silver!

oh yeah, where's the gold?! image
    (not like I can talk... I'll have a tough time catching you after those rings you pulled about a month ago image )
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding finds.... very good day... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really know how to find the silver spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTG
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Great post Mr. Z. image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments! image

<< <i>What did they ring in at on your MXT? >>

The first one (1 mk) I didn't even check, as it was the second coin in the same hole, but it should be around 74..
    The 2 mk was about 85 I think.
    On sites this good (after I had already found the first two smaller silvers), I don't really pay much attention to the readings anyway - I was basically digging all signals I could hear..

<< <i>oh yeah, where's the gold?! image >>

Hmm.. good question. I'm not sure.
    However, I do know where it's not been lately - and that would be in Riccar's finds pouch... image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    <<Hmm.. good question. I'm not sure. However, I do know where it's not been lately - and that would be in Riccar's finds pouch... >>

Ouch! imageimage

haha! touche' image

That gold has been hiding from me but I'll be sure to let you know
    when I finally end up finding some... image

• Options

<< <i>I do know where it's not been lately - and that would be in Riccar's finds pouch... >>

Heck yeah ouch! That'll leave a mark.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice going Zot that's some old silver.HH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, as usual.

I'm glad to know we don't have a monopoly on heat and mosquitoes here. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS-

Pleeease duplicate this post over on my forum at 24 (link in my sigline). It'll jazz things up some.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!!
    I don't have any of those even in my non-dug collection. Had to break out the books just to get a size reference.