Home Metal Detecting
Options

Indian Points?

Howdy, been awhile since I've posted mainly because of a deep and severe silver drought that I cannot seem to remedy. Also it's too hot in summer to MD and the dirt's like concrete.

Anyhow. I know some of you know quite a bit about Indian points. I offer these up for your comment and would appreciate anything you could share, like are they really manmade?

The brown one comes from the shoreline of the Columbia River upstream from the Dalles, Oregon. The points are pretty rounded but the Columbia is a big and powerful river. The material is smooth and different than the regular boring rocks you find in a river.

The clear one is from outside Prineville, Oregon in a place with lots of petrified wood. I was collecting that and the Indian point surprised me.

Ok, can anybody share some knowledge on these, like how old they might be or if they really are Indian points?
Thanks - If I ever silver again I promise to post all the juicy details here first!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They appear to be authentic... some research on arrowheads along with the area found (heavy Indian population in the early years) would give you probable origin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Goldrush can ID them. He's the pro on this message board.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hey Silversanta! Good to see ya!

The left hand example looks like a typical scraper. I'm assuming the other side is completely flat? The edges appear to be beveled steeply downward from the side shown. These tools had multiple scraping uses for animal hide, wood, and bone.

The right example looks like what I call a utilized flake. Essentially it was a small blade knocked off the parent core stone and given fine retouch along the edge to sharpen. A simple finger held (or possibly hafted) micro blade to make fine cuts.

These are my opinions as a collector of Ohio materials.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hey GR, thanks for the answers.... it was you I had in mind from your previous posts and pictures. You're right about the brown one as the other side is flat and not worked or anything. My wife found it on the river bank while we were looking for agates, so she'll be glad to hear it's the real deal. Thanks again, SS