Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE: Took my daughter to the coin shop today

If you haven't read this Post , here is the short. My 5 year old daughter just got into collecting coins.

Oh boy, I'm in trouble now. Took her into the coin shop, and sat her down in front of the dimes to look for a 1969 plain. Well, the dealer didn't have one anywhere (he searched through 5 different books and stacks), and then my daughter seen the Mercury dimes. She looked over at me and said "Daddy, I really like these dimes". I asked her what she liked better, these or the ones at home. She said these, but she liked the ones at home also. I told her, lets get her one today, and complete her dime and quarter book before she starts on Mercury dimes. She was ok with that, and I picked out a nice cheap Mercury to hold her over. When I was about to pay, she got my attention and asked if she could have a coin like mine. I had to ask her what she was talking about, and she said "You know, that one you have in your pocket", referring to my silver dollar pocket piece I'm carrying. For those of you with kids, you know that puppy dog face right? Well, how can you resist, so daddy got her a Mercury dime pocket piece out of the junk silver pile. It was a decent common year that had details left. Well, when we went to pay, the dealer thought she was really cute and let her have the pocket piece dime for free (he seen the look also).

So, not only is she collecting now, she's getting into what to really collect. This is NOT a good sign for my pocket book though, especially when she see's the gold coins image I purposely steered her away from those today

Out of $28 dollars in dimes, she is only missing 16 dates from '65 forward. I think she did pretty good. Tomorrow we'll be going through some quarters, and the next trip to the bank, she wants dimes and quarters.

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I can see it now. She's 14, and mowing the grass all summmer to get that 94-P dollar.

-David
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do don't let her see ebay! image

Hope she stays interested in collecting, it will be a lot of fun.
    Ed
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    We started her quarter collection last night. She had to use daddy's magnifying lens to look at the coins. It was a case of monkey see, monkey do. I've been looking at pennies lately for errors, and she's been watching, so she wanted to use the lens on her quarters last night. Made the sorting process slow, but she was having fun.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Made the sorting process slow, but she was having fun. >>

That's the key. This sounds like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    The girl knows how to get what she wants!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Hey, fun is where it's at!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Mercury Dime Collectors are special!

Soon you will provide her with a set like this.

Have fun searching for those dimes.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great time! You don't need a coin collection. She will tell you what to buy, and she will probably learn fast. Go with it!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Well, I gotta bring her to Vegas with me. With only ~47.00 in dimes, she is only missing 9 coins now from '65 on. She also found the '69 plain tonight, which is one of the tougher but not impossible ones to find. She was very excited. Now she wants to go down to the coin shop and show the owner that she found one on her own. I think he felt kind of bad that he didn't have one for her the other day.

Hmmm, on second thought, she might be just saying that, so she can suck another coin out of daddy image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.. she will suck another coin out of Daddy... and it will just be the next in a long line of coins that Daddy will help with.. imageimageimage Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file