Options

counterfiet Morgan 1889cc?

it looks fishy to me....

ebay 1889cc
My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    The Coin Does Not Appear To Have Ever Been Cleaned. But I Can Not Be Absolutely Sure Since...

Its quite obvious its been stripped of any original surfaces even with that bad pic.
    Counterfeit? I can`t really tell, but many here can. Badly cleaned for sure.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Wake up you dead-beat bidders that coin is FAKE!!!
    aka Dan
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Raw high $ coins with 1 day auctions and low FBs way above it's limited $200 guarantee are enough to make me stay away and that's ignoring the cleaning. I leave these to the more trusting generous folks and gamblers, they can have it.

edited to add... it's probably from the China City mint to boot!
    Ed
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    the "CC" looks out of place also.........imo
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    CC" looks out of place
    and a bit large too?
    a slick Chinese knock-off?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reported as counterfeit.....Chinese special

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complete trash!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    LOL! Geez, I can't believe anyone would even scrutinize the position of the mintmark. The reverse is based on the D reverse .... ONLY used in 1921.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL! Geez, I can't believe anyone would even scrutinize the position of the mintmark. The reverse is based on the D reverse .... ONLY used in 1921. >>

It is also showing the 1921 obverse die.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rereported.
    Do ebay security people work on weekends?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I reported it as well. The coin is not even close.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a word for a few folks:

There are some very deceptive counterfeits out there, but this is not one of them and if anyone cannont instantly recognize that this one is bad, please seek the assistance from someone before you go spending significant money on E-bay auctions or even locally at shows , etc. Also, spend time educating yourself, it will only pay off dwon the road!!!!!

jim
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harshly cleaned. Possibly a real coin with added mint marks or an out right fake. Avoid this coin like the plague. If its one of those fakes from China, it probably isn't even silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Reported.
    Becky
  • Options
    Quote from the listing...

<< <i>I Am Not The Original Owner Of This Coin. >>

I would really be impressed if the seller was around 118 years ago to acquire this coin image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported it as well, the CC is so obviously fake.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064
    The CC stands for "cast copy".
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    crappy counterfeit.......and "scumnuker" pointed out that same seller has other coins just as fake.

Hey, this seller is from my neck of the woods! He's probably one of my local dealers (lol).

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    How do you report a counterfeit to ebay? I've gone through the "report this item" link at the bottom but it ends up putting you in circles and you get nowhere.
  • Options
    I thought the CC looked a bit large myself, even before I scrolled down the page. Hey, I must be learning something out here! image

If that seller says "The Coin Does Not Appear To Have Ever Been Cleaned", he doesn't know much about coins. If it's as washed out as the pic looks...
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    Someone should bid this and the other 3 counterfeits he is selling up to about $50,000 each. I know some of you have accounts just for this reason. Bid each other up until they are really high, then he'll need to explain to ebay about why he can't pay the fees.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you report a counterfeit to ebay? I've gone through the "report this item" link at the bottom but it ends up putting you in circles and you get nowhere. >>

Link for reporting

click on the Report Link...U will need the auction # .
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064

<< <i>How do you report a counterfeit to ebay? I've gone through the "report this item" link at the bottom but it ends up putting you in circles and you get nowhere. >>

Working as intended.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Looks fake to me, the "CCs" are side-by-side, on real Carson City dollars one "C" is higher than the other.

Real "CCs:"
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Looks fake to me, the "CCs" are side-by-side, on real Carson City dollars one "C" is higher than the other. >>

Nope. Even for that date there are a number of different mintmark configurations, as you say, but also aligned with one tilted. This is fake easily because the dies produced (by the Chinese) were based on a hub that did not exist prior to 1921, certainly not in 1889.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The CC stands for "cast copy". >>

..............or "Chinese Counterfeit". image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks fake to me, the "CCs" are side-by-side, on real Carson City dollars one "C" is higher than the other. >>

Nope. Even for that date there are a number of different mintmark configurations, as you say, but also aligned with one tilted. This is fake easily because the dies produced (by the Chinese) were based on a hub that did not exist prior to 1921, certainly not in 1889. >>

Are you sure this is not the rare 1889 rev of '21 variety? image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody is going to be sorry....sold for $1,147
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    $1,147.00 for a fake!!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rereported.
    Do ebay security people work on weekends? >>

Obviously not!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be considered auction interference to contact the buyer saying, "I'm doing research on collections of both contemporary and modern counterfeit dollars. Have you collected these for long?"
  • Options

<< <i>Would it be considered auction interference to contact the buyer saying, "I'm doing research on collections of both contemporary and modern counterfeit dollars. Have you collected these for long?" >>

I tried to contact the buyer to tell him the coin was a fake but Ebay said it would not allow me to send an email to him. They don't want to lose their final value fees I guess. BTW: All of this sellers coins are fakes.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to send a note to the buyer, no problem. We'll see if he responds. I just asked him where
    he lives to see if we could meet as I too collect countefeit dollars. Hope I don't get in trouble but what
    the hey if it exposes a theif!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file