Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever used a black light on coins?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, what have you found and what have you learned?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Come, now. Andy is asking a serious question. Nice Somali coin in your sigline, by the way.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Far out, man. I haven't seen one of those since the '60's.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Try it on a ASE & see if you can see the spot's
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My uncle had one when I was like 5. I was always puzlled by the ZOSO...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you EXPECT to find on coins examined in this way? Someyhing similar to the "blue dress" mayhaps? You may learn that lots of folks don't wash their hands before handling coins.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you dipped your coin into tracer powder or liquid I'm not sure what you would see.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I think youve been watching a little to much CSI.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Long- or short-wave UV can be useful in examining coins for alteration and to improve the visual definition of fine detail.

First a warning – although long-wave UV (as in a “black light” from a party store) is generally safe, prolonged exposure can make you eyes feel uncomfortable and should be avoided. Short-wave UV will fry your eyeballs and your skin – wear protective gear and know what you are doing in advance.

UV can stimulate fluorescence in certain non-metallic substances used to “putty” and fill defects in coins and medals. It can also help identify artificial coloring (not accelerated toning – AT).

UV can also improve the fine detail definition of a metallic surface when used with appropriate magnification. By itself, long-wave UV generally produces a fuzzy looking coin because the eye cannot focus well on the far blue part of the spectrum.

UV can also highlight resealing of some types of plastic slabs, and will help you tell if your laundry uses “brighteners” when they launder your shirts.

Almost forgot – “What have you learned?”
    I learned that cats are not naturally fluorescent under UV, but they will glow like mad once washed in powdered laundry detergent.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know what a black light would do....I didn't take the plunge and try it when my son had one years
    ago. I could have really missed out? I've seen scorpions under a black light and boy do they light up!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I've seen scorpions under a black light and boy do they light up!

Maybe UV will make the scorpions among coin dealers light up!! I'll have to try this at the next coin show.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that using a black light on coins is one way to determine if they have been altered via addition of putty or some other foreign substance. I think that some foreign substances may fluoresce when illuminated by a black light.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I found a drunk fly on my coin.
  • Options
    I saw god...she had lots of bling!

Edit for gender correction (I think).
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only while listening to the Grateful Dead and pulling out some change for a bruski run.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    You guys haven't been paying attention. There was a half page article on this subject in the May 28 issue of CW.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>You guys haven't been paying attention. >>

You are right. I went back and edited my post.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I did once- while smokin a doobie and listenin to 10 Years After= what a trip- Franklin was movin to the music....

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Long- or short-wave UV can be useful in examining coins for alteration and to improve the visual definition of fine detail.

First a warning – although long-wave UV (as in a “black light” from a party store) is generally safe, prolonged exposure can make you eyes feel uncomfortable and should be avoided. Short-wave UV will fry your eyeballs and your skin – wear protective gear and know what you are doing in advance.

UV can stimulate fluorescence in certain non-metallic substances used to “putty” and fill defects in coins and medals. It can also help identify artificial coloring (not accelerated toning – AT).

UV can also improve the fine detail definition of a metallic surface when used with appropriate magnification. By itself, long-wave UV generally produces a fuzzy looking coin because the eye cannot focus well on the far blue part of the spectrum.

UV can also highlight resealing of some types of plastic slabs, and will help you tell if your laundry uses “brighteners” when they launder your shirts.

Almost forgot – “What have you learned?”
    I learned that cats are not naturally fluorescent under UV, but they will glow like mad once washed in powdered laundry detergent. >>

Great summation. I always wondered why my eyes felt odd after the monthly scorpion sweep. (It's the small ones with the long tails that your careful with) I have a pic around somewhere of this one over 6 inches long at rest. It lit up so bright you could read by it.. Traded it for a roll of 99 ASE's.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

last year i submitted (50-100) or so 2006w ase coins across the street for grade, before i go on ,i in no way claim that i on my best day could be on an equal level as far as grading coins with someone who does it for a living.at a reputable firm like pcgs or the guys across the street, however i have been a goldsmith and setter for over 30 years and i am familiar with a loupe, etc. to make a long story short,the bulk of these coins had no...marks hits, whatever under 10x.......i got my grades back.....around 8-10 i don't remember 70's...i couldn't believe it, so i hand carried 6-7 of the best coins graded ms69 back to Sarasota and said please show me why these are not 70's,they took another look and pretty much said that they could tell that these were going to get milk spots...............otherwise they were pristine, since then i've tried every kind of lighting that i know of including ultraviolet on these and nothing...........zip at the time i made a post about this on these boards and the general consensus was be happy with what you got and move on.....that was good advice..........
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Shows repair work well
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I use a UV light to check stamp shades of colors such as the one penny red Australia KGV's.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started using one on marbles... those with old glass will glow... and decided to try it out on coins. Found some strange debris on old coins, something in the crud coins collect. It will show puttied coins ... but not much help with other forms of doctoring. Chemical toning, of certain types, could be detected. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, can not say I have (willhave to try it though).

However, I have used the small, white Xmas tree lights to illuminate Cameo and DCAM proof and SMS coins. I must say that the appearance of these proof and SMS coins under small, white Xmas tree lights is amazing. The coins contrast between fields and devices is magnified tremendously. When I do this, it is like having Xmas all over again (even if if is June 26, 2007)image

I can only say "Try It, You'll Like It".
  • Options
    ttt
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys haven't been paying attention. There was a half page article on this subject in the May 28 issue of CW. >>

Ummmm, Andy it's Jan. A bit behind on our reading are we...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    never mind
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys haven't been paying attention. There was a half page article on this subject in the May 28 issue of CW. >>

Drats! Right after I did my year end dump of past issues. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>never mind >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I know I have some of those lights...somewhere. I think I will try itimage
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

OK Andy -- I think six months is enough time to wait for you to fill us in on what we all missed... image
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    OK Andy -- I think six months is enough time to wait for you to fill us in on what we all missed...

Exactly- what did the may issue say about black lights and coins?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black lights are good for detecting some forms of puttying on coins and starching of paper money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    also if you look at yours or someones teeth under blacklights the natural ones will glow
    and any crowns that might be there will not glow.
  • Options
    If you've ever seen the TV show CSI, black lights are good for finding "milk spots" at crime scenes.

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    If this is anything like using a black light on hotel bedspreads I'm outta here.image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I use a blacklight before I settle for a room at Alantic City, some of them rooms have cool colors all over the walls and floors.
  • Options

@YaHa said:
    I use a blacklight before I settle for a room at Alantic City, some of them rooms have cool colors all over the walls and floors.

I'll have to try that!

Andy Lustig

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a Weltool, 365nm wavelength 3 led UV flashlight to see what it would do.

For one, it will light up and show all the dust on a slab, some spots are easier to see, and also all the dirt on your floor.

Some of the flower parts and plants in the garden shine differently at night. Also, good to check currency for identifiers, Halloween, and of course old vintage posters from the 70's.

I saw one coin under the UV with a small bright red glowing slightly curved line about 3/8 inches long on the coin. I did not notice anything under normal light at first, but with my magnifier, I could finally see a very thin piece of thread. It might show some other defects, but I haven't messed with it a lot yet. Brings back memories.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@YaHa said:

I'll have to try that!

i don't recall if it is a black light but that or something like it works well to highlight pvc iirc.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2022 6:06PM

Old thread alert? I tried photographing some coins under blacklights. The results weren't all that exciting.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used my 365UV on some coins and all I discovered was that the slab lot numbers glow, didn’t really see anything on the coins with the light

But the light works great at showing capsule product defects at my work, I use it all the time

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s used to find touched up paint on toy trains

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

A black light would be "Very interesting".
    A micro version ?
    Possible ?
    I remember a key chain version....
    Cool.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka... I usually carry a small hand held UV light with me when I travel... and yes, some hotel rooms - particularly the bed or bathroom - can really light up. On coins, not so much, but occasionally I have found residues that glow, and I saw putty at a coin show once on a gold coin... encapsulated and not noted. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I used my 365UV on some coins and all I discovered was that the slab lot numbers glow, didn’t really see anything on the coins with the light

now that you do that and thanks btw, a local college museum uses a black light for their rock and mineral display to quite an effect with the public being able to turn off and on the light.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2022 11:47AM

Hang on! Let me go check. Its's in my lava lamp room!
    But seriously, putty! Great idea and it makes perfect sense. And I have a tough time identifying puttied coins, so thanks for that.

Tom

• Options

Don't use a black light in a cheap motel room. You'll want to leave and go sleep in your car. :o

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

First you have to spray your coins with Luminol... B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file