Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detector suggestions

I am moving soon, from Southampton, NY to Las Vegas. Before I move, I want to search my little half-acre, since it was an old farmhouse from 1936, and a farm for a long time before that. I am not expecting treasure, but I have convinced myself to try this before I go. Can anybody suggest a lightweight, easy- to - hear and use detector. I also want to use it for detecting meteorites in the deserts around Vegas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fastrudy
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fastrudy,
    I would recommend the White's DFX.... I know there are many others, but I am most familiar with this one - it is also generally recognized as the best detector on the market. That being said...I also know Garrett makes a very good one.. LordM can probably tell you about those... Good luck.. and HH... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Also try the Bounty Hunter line ---

I had a QuickDraw -- I think that's been revised.

Radio Shack actually sold Bounty Hunters until recently -- that might be an easy way to get one.

Found my first 1700s piece of silver with it too --- and lots more, so it's a fine machine without spending many hundreds of dollars for just the purpose you have in mind...
    I will never expect or accept any less from a President than what he should do to make America the country it can be and should be.

Never tolerate spin-doctoring and lies told to the people in the name of 'security' from the elected officials.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to recommend the Bounty Hunter Quickdraw series for nice inexpensive lightweight detectors, and certainly they are, but the Garrett Ace series, particularly the Ace 250, seems to be the best deal for an entry level machine going these days.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Have to second the 250. Paid just over $200 for mine, and love it.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Am going with the Ace 250, ordered it today and am waiting for it to be delivered. image

Has anybody ever 'salted' their property before searching just to convince spouse that the cost of the detector is justified? just curious.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anybody ever 'salted' their property before searching just to convince spouse that the cost of the detector is justified? just curious. >>

image Hahaha! Great idea!

Here's a tip, though: use jewelry. If your spouse is anything like mine, some old coins won't impress her that much.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Good luck! Southhampton is a great place to hunt, and being old farm land is even better.
    Settled in 1640, you may not have to 'salt' the property, but if you do I'd go with Rob on the jewelry.