Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Traded for 13 Colonials , care to attribute.? Or just take a look.

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Grade them too if you like, I'm no good on early copper.
Traded a bunch of Slabbed Morgans.

Comments

• Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    OH FREAKIN' DRROOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys that find this stuff must live east of the mississippi.
    All I can find out this way are cow chips image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smittys, you really shouldn't have taken advantage of him like that! Nice Stuff!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Conn. coppers should return home. Send them to me immediately!!
  • Options
    Nice looking collection of early copper.........

AL
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    How much were the Morgan's worth?
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    You picked up some neat coins there Smitty.

I especially like the "Talbot Allum & Lee" coin the best.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have time to attribute all of these today, but the 1787 NJ is easily recognizable by the reverse die break as Maris 6-D (common). The 1788 looks like 67-v, which is also common. Remind me next week via pm and I will attribute the others.
  • Options
    shadargroupshadargroup Posts: 144 ✭✭
    If you don't ask, you won't know...
  • Options
    shadargroupshadargroup Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Wow.. wow!!! I wish someone would grade them so I could learn how to grade these NICE pieces!
    If you don't ask, you won't know...
  • Options

I promised Smitty that I would provide attributions for the lot of Colonial coins below once I returned from vacation.

Below is a list of attributions from top to bottom. Regarding grade, I will throw out some opinions, but nearly every piece is a problem coin so the grades, whether stated or not, are net grades. A lot of times, Colonials are graded by price since they can be difficult to grade and the aesthetic qualities account for much of the value.

1787 New Jersey, M.39-a, R.2 -- F-VF, Net Good due to obv damage

1787 New Jersey, M.39-a, R.2 -- VG or so

1787 New Jersey, M.6-D, R.1 (I think) --Net VG (corroded)

1786 New Jersey, M.14-J, R.1 -- Net AG

1788 New Jersey, M.67-v, R.1 -- AG-G

1794 Talbot, Allum & Lee. This is actually a Conder token (struck in England), but it is included in the Red Book. Not really a Colonial. It is a neat LDS (late die state). You should check the edge, as there are edge varieties. I would say it is VG.

1783 Washington & Independence, Large Military Bust -- Good

(ND) 1787 Connecticut, Miller 35-b, R.3 -- Fine'ish

(ND) 17897 Vermont, Ryder 13, R.1. This is the Britannia variety (muled with a Machin's reverse intended for counterfeits). -- Net AG (corr.), reverse is always weak

1787 Connecticut, M.33.36-T.2, R.2 -- Good

1781 North American Token -- bad shape, Net F-2

1781 North American Token -- Good

1773 Virginia Half Pence -- AG
  • Options

<< <i>1794 Talbot, Allum & Lee. This is actually a Conder token (struck in England), but it is included in the Red Book. Not really a Colonial. >>

Actually this is one case where the Redbook actually got it right. Yes they were struck in England but they are NOT Conder tokens. It was designed by and struck by a maker of Conder tokens, and it shares a die with the Conder token series (The Liberty & Commerce die), but it was specificly struck for an American company with the intent that it should circulate here not in England. The few pieces with the Cambridge Bedford and Huntingdon edge, or the ornamented edge are the result of planchets intended for a different issue being struck in error. (Most manufacturers of Conders did so for many customers most of which had different edge inscriptions. Keeping all of the different planchets separated could be a problem. Also sometimes a coiner would buy of the dies equipment and PLANCHETS of a competitor who was getting out of the business and just use those planchets as an economy move.)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1794 Talbot, Allum & Lee. This is actually a Conder token (struck in England), but it is included in the Red Book. Not really a Colonial. >>

Actually this is one case where the Redbook actually got it right. Yes they were struck in England but they are NOT Conder tokens. It was designed by and struck by a maker of Conder tokens, and it shares a die with the Conder token series (The Liberty & Commerce die), but it was specificly struck for an American company with the intent that it should circulate here not in England. The few pieces with the Cambridge Bedford and Huntingdon edge, or the ornamented edge are the result of planchets intended for a different issue being struck in error. (Most manufacturers of Conders did so for many customers most of which had different edge inscriptions. Keeping all of the different planchets separated could be a problem. Also sometimes a coiner would buy of the dies equipment and PLANCHETS of a competitor who was getting out of the business and just use those planchets as an economy move.) >>

I stand corrected! You are right. I checked my D&H and it is not listed. I always assumed that they were because I have owned Conder tokens with, as you stated, the same design and there are varieties with edge lettering stating that they are payable in English cities. Plus they are of the same era as Conders. The Kentucky token and the Franklin Press are, however, technically Conder tokens. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed this thread the first time around.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did I ... beautiful coppers.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wow those are great! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    TTT
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice group! I love Colonials...I have a couple and need to start looking around for some more...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Now those are some very cool piece's.
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Options
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread RYK. image

Got this one bookmarked now for future reference.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file