Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$ 9000 Franklin now only 3700$ ??

I offered this serpent 6000$ for this coin several months back , only to have him tell me his boy had more then that " in it " and " most likely would not go lower then his cost " . Now it's for sale for less then 1/2 , a real fire sale it would seem . I wonder why now suddenly he can let it go for thousands less then his " cost" ? Makes me think when most tell you " I got more then that IN IT " there just speeling a line of B.S. PCGS MS67 FBL 1958D Franklin

Comments

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Nice coin, for a Franklinimage
  • Options

<< <i>I offered this serpent 6000$ for this coin several months back , only to have him tell me his boy had more then that " in it " and " most likely would not go lower then his cost " . Now it's for sale for less then 1/2 , a real fire sale it would seem . I wonder why now suddenly he can let it go for thousands less then his " cost" ? Makes me think when most tell you " I got more then that IN IT " there just speeling a line of B.S. PCGS MS67 FBL 1958D Franklin >>

Maybe this thread had something to do with it?
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is it purple, or green??
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "So is it purple, or green??".... Neither.. it is tarnished.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I offered this serpent 6000$ for this coin several months back , only to have him tell me his boy had more then that " in it " and " most likely would not go lower then his cost " . Now it's for sale for less then 1/2 , a real fire sale it would seem . I wonder why now suddenly he can let it go for thousands less then his " cost" ? Makes me think when most tell you " I got more then that IN IT " there just speeling a line of B.S. PCGS MS67 FBL 1958D Franklin >>

So what are you griping about? If you liked it for $6k, you should be all over it for $3,700!!
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    You may be right John ......... the pictures in the auction itself look like totally different colored coins !!
  • Options
    "So what are you griping about? If you liked it for $6k, you should be all over it for $3,700!! "

...he blocked me from bidding as I had a few choice words for him about his " cost" .........
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

you must sell used cars for a living...tongue in cheek
  • Options
    How many times have i heard " oh , I paid more then that " ?? And what percent of that statement were just plain , flat out lies ?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

you must sell used cars for a living...tongue in cheek >>

SUPER used CARs and COINS maybe? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$9,500 probably sounds like a lot of money for any Franklin however I would be surprised if you have seen many Franklins of any date, grade or designation with toning like this one. >>

That BIN of $3675 is a hell of a drop from $9500.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>$9,500 probably sounds like a lot of money for any Franklin however I would be surprised if you have seen many Franklins of any date, grade or designation with toning like this one. >>

Russ, NCNE >>

yup! i'll guess he had a whole lot less "in it" than he would let onto.
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I never want to hear what a dealer has in a coin, I figure what the value is to me and make an offer, if they can sell it for that great, if not I just keep looking. Just because some one under pays or over pays for a coin does not influence what I think it is worth. If they ripped it I do not expect they are gonna cheap sell it. Just Bussiness

AL
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if I understand this correctly, one cannot sell a coin for less than he has "in it"? Funny thing, but markets don't work that way. Next time I have a coin to show a dealer, I can bet you that he won't care how much I have "in it." Sheesh!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

A friend of mine wanted to branch out into a new area of collecting and he bought a couple coins from this seller. My friend decided this particular series was not for him and tried to sell them back to this dealer. This dealer was not interested.

Not only would he not buy them back, (at a loss to my friend) he wouldn't even make my friend an offer.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe when he said "I have more in it than that" what he me meant was " I have said no to a higher bid already" or " I know someone that will offer me more than that".

Just a thought.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Yup. Took a hard loss on that one. Gotta move the $$ on to something else. C'est la vie. We've actually repriced a bunch of stuff that has hung around. If you had your eye on a coin that's been listed for a while, might want to go back and check to see if the price was reduced.

Makes me think when most tell you " I got more then that IN IT " there just speeling a line of B.S.

Never B.S.'ed you. Adrian didn't want to take a loss on it at the time and now he does. It just happens to be a pretty substantial loss this time.

I've heard people complain about some of the higher priced coins that have hung around a while on our website so Adrian and I decided to go through the entire inventory and take a good while determining new retail prices for them not taking into account how much we had in them. Now, when we do this, supercarcoins decides to use his alt to whine about it. Dealers can't win here can they?
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon,
    Really need to keep Adrian busy... I think he posted here yesterday about 300 times.... image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't understand why people complain about dealer's offer prices. It is irrelevant what the dealer paid for the coin. If you want the coin ask the price. If it's too high...move on to another one or make your own count-offer. If the dealer is constantly asking too much for his material he'll never sell anything and eventually disappear. Supply and demand...

jom
  • Options
    How about the 58-D you guys had in NGC 66 * FBL ... t'was like $3950 or so. Did that sell off at a big discount as well? Just curious...
  • Options
    jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup. Took a hard loss on that one. Gotta move the $$ on to something else. C'est la vie. We've actually repriced a bunch of stuff that has hung around. If you had your eye on a coin that's been listed for a while, might want to go back and check to see if the price was reduced. >>

The 1883 Proof Indian isn't reduced yet ( bahhh humbug ) image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two thoughts:

First, if a dealer tells you he has "more than that in it", and it's really just on consignment to him at "more than that", has he misled you?

Second, isn't that just an ugly and dirt common 58-D Franklin? What am I missing?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEureka ,

thank you for pointing out it's a dirt common ugly tarnished coin in the first place . And to even hint at an asking price of $9000.00 for such a p.o.s is an insult to every God fearing coin collecting person on these boards .
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>I never want to hear what a dealer has in a coin, I figure what the value is to me and make an offer, if they can sell it for that great, if not I just keep looking. Just because some one under pays or over pays for a coin does not influence what I think it is worth. If they ripped it I do not expect they are gonna cheap sell it. Just Bussiness

AL >>

I agree. I'll pay what I want to pay and I don't care what they got it for (unless of course it is a ridiculously lower amount and their supplier has more image).
    aka Dan
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MrEureka ,

thank you for pointing out it's a dirt common ugly tarnished coin in the first place . And to even hint at an asking price of $9000.00 for such a p.o.s is an insult to every God fearing coin collecting person on these boards . >>

Asking $9000 for it isn't some evil insult to people....being stupid enough to pay that much may be though....even offering thousands of dollars for it, imho, isn't too smart either image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So is it purple, or green?? >>

thats what I was thinking
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And board member Ronyahski scarfed it up.......congrats.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

<< <i>"So what are you griping about? If you liked it for $6k, you should be all over it for $3,700!! "

...he blocked me from bidding as I had a few choice words for him about his " cost" ......... >>

I am not suprised Brandon blocked you for your "choice words". Calling him a "serpent" on this forum does not add much to your case either. I have found him to be a pretty class act. If you do not like the price of something, move on. Your feeble attempt to degrade a well respected forum member here will not sell either.
  • Options
    Sonar,
    I was a Sonar Tech in the USN . And sonar techs know that an Anaconda is a snake ; and a snake my friend is a serpent .

I do not like snakes : and I am entitled my opinion . What is well respected in your mind or the minds of others might be garbage to me .
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    A coin dealer entitled to price a coin any way they wish.

A coin dealer can change a price any time they wish.

A coin dealer can lose money on a coin, as well as make money.

A coin dealer can decide who they wish to deal with and who they
    do not wish to deal with.

It is not reasonable to expect a coin dealer to please 100% of everyone
    they may come in contact with.

Life is.................................................................................. INSCRUTABLE.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anaconda is getting desperate! They are now even dumping 'holed' coins onto the market! How sad!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"So what are you griping about? If you liked it for $6k, you should be all over it for $3,700!! "

...he blocked me from bidding as I had a few choice words for him about his " cost" ......... >>

I am not suprised Brandon blocked you for your "choice words". Calling him a "serpent" on this forum does not add much to your case either. I have found him to be a pretty class act. If you do not like the price of something, move on. Your feeble attempt to degrade a well respected forum member here will not sell either. >>

I did not see where it was offensive to call him a snake after thinking about it. You can call me a dog if you like. What concerns me is the way this coin is being degraded here. It did not likely get in that holder by accident or fraud.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I had $5200 "in" Mrs Butterworth's Syrup stock (MBW Foods, later Aurora Foods) Company did a "prepackaged" reorganization (they forgot to mention in the press release it was a CHAPTER 11 reorganzation) and my stock was declared worthless, but purchased by Pinnacle Foods, the new company, for $25 as "a courtesy"
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin- for sure one of the best 58-D mint set coins out there. I also don't think it worth 9K but $3k sounds better.
  • Options
    SottySotty Posts: 373
    If it was an PCGS MS 70 fully struck on both sides, original blast white 53S, it might be worth that.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't get why your panties are in a bunch.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    R.I.P. snakey ..........
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>R.I.P. snakey .......... >>

I'm sure that in his retired life with the sisters, he is crushed about your dislike of him image

Smoe collectors can be such tools.imageimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Bear earlier in this thread:

A coin dealer entitled to price a coin any way they wish.
    A coin dealer can change a price any time they wish.
    A coin dealer can lose money on a coin, as well as make money.
    A coin dealer can decide who they wish to deal with and who they
    do not wish to deal with.
    It is not reasonable to expect a coin dealer to please 100% of everyone they may come in contact with.

....but a dealer who does decide to ask multiples of the apparent market price for something may not be able to compete in the business forever either. One thing is for sure is that you would not want to see that Franklin back in stock any time soon after selling it for $9K. Be happy that you never forked over the $6K for it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    amen Roadrunner .......... and this smoe collector will be in the game long after flash in the pan's fade far away

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file