Home Sports Talk
Options

Cool old baseball footage on YouTube. 1929 World Series

I thought you guys would like to see this vintage baseball footage from the 1929 world series, if you haven't seen it already. Pretty cool to see Wrigley Field back then.

Click Here

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    cool footage

it led me to find an earl weaver clip which was fantastic!!! i wish we had him back!!!! especially now that perllozzo is gone.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote15 was at that game.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote15 was at that game.

I'm the guy in the stands with the derby hat on screaming Philly sucks. image

Great footage!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That was awesome.

Thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Very interesting footage. It looks like going to a game back then was a dress up affair with the guys all wearing hats and sport coats.

This apparently pre-dated the famous Wrigley Field ivy, some of those buildings in the background look familiar today.

Did anyone notice the cheerleader with a big bull horn? Neat.
  • Options
    I know. Another thing that I noticed was everybody smoked!! You could see puffs of cigarette smoke all through the footage. Who knows??!! Maybe Al Capone was at that game too..LOL!
  • Options

<< <i>I know. Another thing that I noticed was everybody smoked!! You could see puffs of cigarette smoke all through the footage. Who knows??!! Maybe Al Capone was at that game too..LOL! >>

Also, it is neat to see most of the men wearing hats!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The pre-game ceremonies were interesting to watch with the team carrying the flag to the flag pole and marching back with the band
    playing. The old cars on the street were neat too.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    It was cool to see the PA announcer was a guy with a megaphone standing on the field. Also notice the fans walking across the field after the game. File that under "Things that will never happen again".
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    That is really cool.

I can't help but think there's still some old guy in his 90s somewhere who could look at that footage and tell you who the pitcher was just by looking at the windup, because he used to watch him pitch. That's pretty cool, too.

<< <i>This apparently pre-dated the famous Wrigley Field ivy >>

The ivy was planted in 1937. By Bill Veeck, no less.