Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How BIG The Omaha Bank Hoard is, it's affect on Numismatics AND WHO owns it!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I have a few Lincolns with the pedigree. They seem fairly graded to me. And since we "buy the coin not the plastic" I am not sure what the problem is. If I bought my coins because of the money/profit I would have stopped collecting long ago. I used to collect before there were population reports, so I could care less.

Frankly, I like the idea of being able to buy some semi/keys at lower prices. I think I may start hoarding them. Kinda smells like the whole GSA thing when you could buy those for $20-30 each.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    In all honesty, there SEEMS to be a grading curve as it pertains to coins of the Hoard that is different from the one used on OUR coins. Many of the best eyes in the business have attested to this right here.

I own, handle and sell many thousands of dollars worth of PCGS products because I BELIEVE in PCGS. Besides my Registry coins (not just Washington Quarters) I have thousands of coins earmarked for grading by PCGS but until serious consistancy and fairness are shown I cannot justify the expense incurred to play some grading "Game".

If the Hoard IS the new standard then it would then stand to reason that NOW more than ever, I should submit my entire Registry set (for starters) along with worthy "extras" I have accumulated within this series alone.

Once this is "finished business" I would then begin having the rest of my holdings graded.

On countless occassions I have posted "Grade these coins" threads. Without any clues or tips - without a word being spoken and all coins photographed under the same exact conditions with absolutely NO editing to enhance or to make any one coin SEEM better than another, TO A MAN, virtually ALL that saw and offered input, chose the lesser graded coins as being SUPERIOR to the known 67s.

The average collector only sees a # on an insert, particularly newcomers that are dependant on those #s and inserts and do not realize or understand that within ANY given grade there are 1) Low-end piece that barely make the grade in question, 2) those that are "Solid" for the Grade and will NEVER regrade higher under any circumstances and the coins I've always collected 3) the cherries that are otherwise referred to as "Liners" .... coins that on any given day could and should regrade higher based on their properties alone, with NO BIAS.

Now, with the manifestation of the coins of The Omaha Bank Hoard, it has become even more abundantly clear that many of my coins merit re-grade .... not favors, but regrading correctly, as they should have been the first time.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

cladking, you actually think that people who are still alive today,
    cannot own hordes of rolls made in their lifetime? it is not probable?

you jest!

>>

Of course there can be some. There, no doubt, are some. But the fact that no one
    has ever actually laid eyes on one is extremely telling. "No one" might be overstating
    the case a little since Numismatic News reported back in 1985 that there is a retired
    vending machine operator with an entire bag of every clad quarter up until at least
    that date. John J Pittman was said to have saved a cherrypicked roll of each date up
    through the mid-'90's which did not appear in the auctions. This is 4,040 coins which
    is a mere drop in the bucket. If you consider that some bags won't even have a sin-
    gle choice coin in it then it doesn't even quite constitute a drop in the bucket. How much
    effort Pittman put into his hoard remains to be seen but from years of fighting in the
    trenches I can assure you that finding gems of some dates could almost be a full time
    job. In all probability most of the modern varieties don't appear at all in these 4,040
    coins. Most are released in small geographic areas over brief periods of time. The odds
    of stumbling on them is extremely low unless they are being sought systematically.

Are there other moderns out there? Of course there almost certainly are, but they can't
    be great in number or a few would have turned up. More importantly they will suffer
    the same thing; there will be precious few nice coins and even fewer varieties. The
    probability of some coins appearing is simply zero.

There are original rolls which appear from time to time though they get little attention
    because of their low value. Most rolls which are offerred are from mint sets which are
    much more a known quantity. The odds of a hoard of something like 1969 quarters ap-
    pearing someday and damaging the market is exceedingly low. Even in fifty years they'll
    still be turning up many more 19th century coins in new condition than late 20th century.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The sevices have always overweighted for nice pritine and original white
    coins (IMO). This might be how the OBH coins faired so well.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a news flash for everyone who thinks this hoard has affected the values of true collectors coins.........I don't plan on selling to someone who doesn't know an high quality coin from a misnomer! image As long as there are collectors out there (and there are many right here in this thread) who want only the best is strike, grade/condition and eye appeal, what's the problem? Call it a cleansing of the hoard/hobby, I'm certain a few high quality coins have come from that hoard. I too have wasted several hours scanning the Heritage nickels in hopes of finding some true gem to superb examples to add but with ZERO luck! But I have seen some nicely struck coins pictured. And somehow, I have missed the 1952 nickels......heck image, I've been waiting for the longest time for them to get listed! I wouldn't be surprised if a few have found there way to and early-birding the meat of that hoard!
    Remember, as I have just learned here, Heritage bought the hoard and ANACS, NGC and PCGS are all grading them rolls. But here is a link showing the BIG difference in grading coins between........well, you'll get the picture when you click the LINK.

Leo

Also would like to add..hopefully they're saving the best for last to get whatever market back on track.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is some comfort in purchasing 19th century type and better date coinage. The odds of "hoards" showing up are very slim. An original roll of BU 1860-s seated quarters? Not very likely.

However a hoard of average quality 1841-0 quarters was part of the New Orleans find. While it didn't really lower the prices on this date, it has basically made it a type coin. Still, true gems are indeed rare.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Just how BIG is this so-called "Hoard"?

Your thoughts? >>

Back on'05 I contacted Heritage about this "hoard" and this is what I found out.

A client in Omaha, who has been guaranteed anonymity, sold Heritage 2000+ gem original rolls of Washington quarters, Roosevelt Dimes, Franklin Halves, and Walking Liberty halves, etc..

All the rolls were originally purchased at the Omaha National Bank, and had been stored in a vault since the individual started buying rolls during the year of issue back in the late 1930's. >>

Boy, imagine when I dump my hoard of 3-4 k rolls of obw wheats on the market in about 5 years.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Just how BIG is this so-called "Hoard"?

Your thoughts? >>

Back on'05 I contacted Heritage about this "hoard" and this is what I found out.

A client in Omaha, who has been guaranteed anonymity, sold Heritage 2000+ gem original rolls of Washington quarters, Roosevelt Dimes, Franklin Halves, and Walking Liberty halves, etc..

All the rolls were originally purchased at the Omaha National Bank, and had been stored in a vault since the individual started buying rolls during the year of issue back in the late 1930's. >>

Boy, imagine when I dump my hoard of 3-4 k rolls of obw wheats on the market in about 5 years.

morris <>< >>

Morris, do it in the next year or two....right at the centennial for the lincoln cent image
    (just let me know right before you do image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone who knows me as a collector knows that I hold PCGS in high esteem for many reasons. I have often been accused of "drinking the Kool-Aid," to which I can only respond, "OH YEAH !!" (I like the red, and the green flavors. Which ones do you like?) But it would be unrealistic to expect PCGS to be perfect in every respect, all the time, in every circumstance. And let's remember, it is a business, for profit, and publicly owned, with an obligation to its shareholders to maximize value. Nothing wrong with that. The first attempt at a TPG was the original ANACS, which was part of the ANA - a non-profit institution organized under a national charter. The original ANACS was a great idea (and kudos to Ken Bresset for really making into a the first TPG as we define them today). However, it ultimately missed the mark, and was surpassed by PCGS and NGC. So, we must accept that the commercial for-profit TPG's actually represent the better model, both as businesses, and for the collecting community at large. Look at all the awesome resources PCGS makes available ... I can spend hours buried in "Coin Facts" alone. But occasionally, there are a few things here and there worthy of questioning, or at least discussion.

No matter how much respect you have for PCGS, no matter how valuable you find TPG's and certification, no matter how much you acknowledge the superior grading capability of the professsionals in the grading room ... you still have to remember this one piece of advice that will never stop being extremely relevant to all collectors, including those buying Omaha coins or issues affected by the Omaha hoard:

Buy the coin, not the plastic.

Best,
    Sunnywood

P.S. notlogical ... LOL ... I agree that Mr. Spock would sum up numismatics with: "Fascinating, but not logical."
    Do you remember when he looked at two identical female androids, and confused their processors into brain freeze with the deliberately illogical: "I like you, but I don't like you."
    Imagine what he might think looking at two otherwise identical dipped white modern coins in different graded slabs !!! >>

Excellent and well thought post! I do know that a good number of the coins that I have seen from the hoard are overgraded, especially Washington Quarters. The ICG comment was a good comment, as I look at high-graded ICG coins about the same way I look at the Omaha Bank Hoard coins. But, of course, each individual coin should be examined for its own merits.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    If there is anyone out there who would like a dozen or so "Omaha Bank Hoard" Washies, let me know. I bought them before I knew anything about grading. I thought PCGS was the "expert" on grading all coins, so I bought a few. MS66 in "Bank Hoard" grading is about MS64-65 with current grading!

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Jeffersons I've seen have generally struck me as unremarkable for their grades. I suspect that if I were to crack out and re-send in a bunch of the 67s, I could get 'em to come back 66s. >>

At least that would get that "Omaha Bank Hoard" stigma off the label. image Bleh.

I don't bother looking at them now either.
  • Options
    I also wasted many hours looking at the pix in Heritage's website. I did manage to Cherry a very few RPM's of early Roosevelt dimes.

I am anxious to see whether or not they will lose the dreaded OBH pedigree when I submit them for Variety review. Hopefully, the PCGS label can only hold a limited number of alpha-numeric characters!

And yeah, those 1960-D MS66 Washers are a joke!!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    << And yeah, those 1960-D MS66 Washers are a joke!! >>

My exact sentiment when I ran across very difficult to make PCGS 66 1961-D bearing this OBH Pedigree.

The coins look absolutely horrible. By compromising their standards, a problem is going to manifest itself

in regards to Grade Guarantee. By permitting coins of far lesser quality that in no way resemble other PCGS 66s,

IN to PCGS 66 holders, PCGS has done itself as well as owners of TRUE 66 caliber pieces, a huge dis-service.

Couldn't they foresee this taking place and the repercussions down the road? The pieces I sifted through were of

such poor quality that it was downright appalling.

• Options
    I absolutely MUST update this thread. I purchased a PCGS certified Hoard coin that is outstanding for the grade! Judging by the certification # it must have been graded just recently.

As soon as I get my new camera up and running I'll be more than happy to show it to all of you.

Either it is the exception and got overlooked or the curve is back to where it should be.

More about this later. You've got to see it to believe it! image
  • Options
    I got this just today and must say that it IS the one exceptional piece I've seen thus far. Actually, I don't see why it's not a 66.

Seems they've over-compensated! Since I opened this subject it's only right that I show this. image
    What's right is right. While there ARE many badly overgraded specimen from this Hoard out there it appears that the adjustment may have been made. Hey! It's a start.

imageimage
  • Options
    It looks just like your PCGS 67 1935 in the Registry Forum.

I hope you don't mind but I saved both images to my desktop and basically set them side by side.

When I zoomed in on them I must say, I couldn't tell them apart, surface-wise.

Could it be that they actually UNDER graded this coin, Mr. BOOM?

Thank you,
    BobbyT

P.S. - I see that you have been a seller on ebay for almost 4 years and a lot of people have had many good things to say about you, your coins <EVEN THE RAW ONES> and every aspect of dealing with you. I think I would like to buy coins from you but you don't have anything up for sale right now. If I give you my email address would you send me some pictures to look at?

P.S.S - I found your Registry Set and think your coins are some of the most beautiful Quarters I saw as I looked through all the sets that have pictures. I also saw your Name associated with sets ranked even higher than yours. I can't wait to chat with you. image

Thanks again,
    BobbyT
  • Options
    Thank you. I'd be glad to chat with you anytime. Thanx for all the accolades. You're making me blush. imageimage
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin in the following Link seems to have
    defied what has been seen. Looks close to a Q3 quality coin and if those surfaces are prooflike? I'll usually search for weeks through several avenues before I come across something that may interest me. How long will this one last before it's snatched up?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    a 1945-D quarter. wow. cough. hm. hard to get excited over a coin
    like that.

how many are left in that condition around the USA? oh you do not
    know you say? only slabbed? lol. ok. keep buying em up.

have fun with your moderns boom. many more threads like this
    are in your future.

leo, the darn coin you are looking at is only 50 years old. sigh.

i do not understand modern collectors at all. you get so excited over
    coins that were just made a few decades ago and are easily found
    in all grade ranges.

venting a bit i suppose. you guys get all wrapped up in this hobby.
    laughing a bit because you all take it so SERIOUS

leo, search for weeks huh? big challenge that. :-|
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omaha Bank Hoard PCGS coins are great for filling albums. The coins, usually, sell relatively cheaply on eBay because many don't want the damn OBH pedigreed slab. Good opportunity to pick up a coin on the cheap, get it home, crack it out, toss the OBH plastic in the trash and stick the coin in a Whitman image
  • Options

<< <i>a 1945-D quarter. wow. cough. hm. hard to get excited over a coin
    like that.

how many are left in that condition around the USA? oh you do not
    know you say? only slabbed? lol. ok. keep buying em up.

have fun with your moderns boom. many more threads like this
    are in your future.

leo, the darn coin you are looking at is only 50 years old. sigh.

i do not understand modern collectors at all. you get so excited over
    coins that were just made a few decades ago and are easily found
    in all grade ranges.

venting a bit i suppose. you guys get all wrapped up in this hobby.
    laughing a bit because you all take it so SERIOUS

leo, search for weeks huh? big challenge that. :-| >>

These pre-moderns aren't really my cup of tea either, but I'm not
    going to tell someone that his collecting area is composed only of
    easily found coins that needn't interest "real collectors".

It's true that large numbers of coins were set aside from 1934 to
    1964 but that hardly means that every variety and every gem is
    common and will always grow in population. Even if this were true
    it hardly follows that there is some trouble with collecting the coins
    in any grade.

Referring to these coins as modern is confusing. To some old timers
    anything made after 1856, 1891, 1908 or 1934 is just modern crap.
    But in point of fact there are variations in modern crap just as there
    are in the older coins. If you must insult people then it would be pre-
    ferable to be a little more specific. If you really believe that every
    coin minted after some specific date is common then you haven't been
    paying attention.

And while you're deciding exactly what constitutes "modern crap" for
    you, keep in mind I know a lot of "real collectors" who think modern
    starts in 1511 or some such.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    collecting area is composed only of
    ----------------

i thought the main point of this thread was the loss of value this
    horde is doing to coins for sale. i am not saying do not collect them,
    but do it with open eyes. 20 rolls of that quarter could appears next
    week. Do we get another thread like this?

as for the start of modern crap.. i think in terms of the USA, not world. If i wanted to collect "real money" i would goto the beach
    and look for certain shells. (wampum was what?)

i like how you respond to my posts because you obviously know a ton
    cladking. I agree with you not all dates are easy to find, but when
    i consider half eagles, a series that is older and longer then most,
    it only has a handful of hard to find coins. 1854S, 1875P, etc..

and you want me to think wash quarters are tough?

hm
  • Options

<< <i>collecting area is composed only of
    ----------------

i thought the main point of this thread was the loss of value this
    horde is doing to coins for sale. i am not saying do not collect them,
    but do it with open eyes. 20 rolls of that quarter could appears next
    week. Do we get another thread like this?

as for the start of modern crap.. i think in terms of the USA, not world. If i wanted to collect "real money" i would goto the beach
    and look for certain shells. (wampum was what?)

i like how you respond to my posts because you obviously know a ton
    cladking. I agree with you not all dates are easy to find, but when
    i consider half eagles, a series that is older and longer then most,
    it only has a handful of hard to find coins. 1854S, 1875P, etc..

and you want me to think wash quarters are tough?

hm >>

Sure, there's a difference between rare and scarce and there are pretty
    few rare moderns or pre-moderns. It may be more fun to collect coins
    that are scarce or rare in all grades for many people.

But 20 rolls of most moderns hitting the market is a non-event. Even in
    really tough coins like '83-P quarter, 20 rolls wouldn't have more than a
    temporary effect. There are a lot more people collecting clad quarters by
    date than half eagles. 20 rolls would disappear overnight on one of the
    TV shows after they assembled them into 800 complete sets. They don't
    sell many of these sets because it is extremely difficult to get the coins to
    offer them. The same thing applies to a lesser extent with the pre-moderns.
    There are a lot of people collecting these and they get absorbed. Most of
    the time when a few ( or 20) rolls are found the coins are typical. They
    simply are not of the quality required to get a premium. It's really pretty
    rare that high quality coins show up because in those days collectors didn't
    pay much attention to quality. With the modern good quality is ever rarer
    because it required tremendous effort and time to locate better quality.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    yes, i often forget how many modern collectors are out there versus
    the 7 of us half eagle series collectors. hm. good point.

but obviously this horde has shaken the industry? more to come
    as the obvious aging sector of the US has their possessions sold
    as they pass on?

thanks for the replies cladking. it is always a pleasure reading your
    posts.

boom, do you feel you are going to be frustrated more and more like
    this in the future?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed a stagnation of many prices for better grade silver Washington quarters since this is an area that I collected for many years. In my case, it was to put together a raw Capital Plastics set of gem quarters 1932-1964 and I would search through hundreds or sometimes thousands of coins before picking one or two for my set. Oddly, I found the 1945-D issue to be perhaps the toughest quarter of the 1940s in gem grade, even though the bid levels do not reflect this observation. Perhaps it was because my grading criteria was more strict than the ANA or the TPGs. I do not know if the OBH has depressed the prices in this series or if prices are where they are simply because there was such a previously sustained run and the series needs a breather. Fortunately for me, when I sold most of my handpicked Washingtons I received more than bid levels since the coins were of such high quality.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Me? Frustrated? Never.

Cognizant - ALWAYS!
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Here is an Omaha Bank Hoard Lincoln 66Rd...Are You Kidding Me???

This is not my coin but one that was recently up for auction at one of the on-line bourses:

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rooksmith, in a word, No.

I've had a few OBH coins pass through my hands and I've managed to find them new owners on ebay without much trouble.

Here's one I won and decided to keep.

I think it is a true 66 just as labeled.
  • Options
    That 64 vs this 63? You judge for yourselves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file