Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess how PCGS will grade this half dime ~ UPDATE, RESULTS INSIDE

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageBODY BAG FOR RIM NICK image

I just sent this in to PCGS for grading on Monday. I got one free submission for completing my registry set and this was it. The coin is raw but was in an old ANACS No Problem holder before I cracked it out. What do you think PCGS will say?

Note, the bright band across the obverse pic is from light reflecting off the old ANACS plastic.
ps. When I find out what PCGS says I'll actually tell you people lol

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess how PCGS will grade this half dime >>

Wrong.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I guessed MS63, but if it was mine I'd call it an MS64 image . Nice looking coin. Hope you get the grade you want/expect.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Coin!

I'll go MS62
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say AU58. Nice color on that one.
  • Options
    IRCWCoinsIRCWCoins Posts: 895 ✭✭
    MS-61
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I say AU 58. Nice coin with minor hairlines.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Now I just wanna see the graded coin.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms64....nice!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I coughed up the extra $5 to have TrueView pics taken so when it does come back I'll have nicer pics to show you all.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking nickel.

I see it as one of those 58/64 situations.

Depends on the mood of the grader, how the drive into work was, did he get any last night, hungover, someone burned the popcorn in the microwave etc.
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Now that is a nice one. I'm almost positive it is a LM14. I can't wait for the true view pics, I want to see the clashing of the shield under the ear, though I believe I can see it somewhat it your pics.

Grade - hmm ... Well I do not see any friction in your pictures as it is displayed on my monitor, so I'll go with the optimistic MS grade.
    I say 64Obv, 62Rev.
    Eye appeal Gem.

PCGS Grade 63.

Did you think she may have seen some soap and water long ago.

Regards
    Ron

I can not spell today image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    q: Guess how PCGS will grade this half dime
    a: Ummm...with one eye half open? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I'm almost positive it is a LM14. >>

Good call image

<< <i>Did you think she may have seen some soap and water long ago. >>

I think it more likely that it got an expert dipping at some point. A dipping done well enough to not negatively affect the luster.

• Options
    It's an MS 62.

Garrow
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin....I'll go with 63.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    Package was received and signed for today at PCGS. Hopefully it'll get entered into the system this week. The process has begun image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute !! Someone call 911 !! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted MS62. Looks like an Unc. coin with nice strike, but a few light hairlines here & there. It's tough to grade a coin like this from a digital photo, though.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful Coin!

I'll go MS62 >>

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Looks MS62. Good luck!
    aka Dan
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    nice coin, ms62
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    Submission was successfully logged into the PCGS system today. Next step will most likely be the TrueViews and then the big moment. image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I really hope this is a MS coin, but I wanted to be the conservative one and put down AU-58.

Boy it's a gorgeous coin.
  • Options
    I've posted this exact same thread across the street and the results are very interesting. Here at the PCGS forums the consensus is leaning towards the coin being AU58 but on the NGC forums MS63 is the most chosen number. Just thought that was interesting.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "Here at the PCGS forums the consensus is leaning towards the coin being AU58 but on the NGC forums MS63 is the most chosen number. Just thought that was interesting."

Could it be because the coin would probably grade AU-58 at PCGS, but would likely grade MS-63 at NGC? The groupies for the respective TPGs have no doubt been preconditioned to their favorite service's grading standards.

Incidentally, was that coin photographed in a slab, and are we seeing reflective glare from the plastic, particularly on the obverse?

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

<< <i>Incidentally, was that coin photographed in a slab, and are we seeing reflective glare from the plastic, particularly on the obverse? >>

Yup, it's glare from the ANACS plastic. Your point about my above post is kinda what I was trying to say...without actually saying it. image
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    AU58
  • Options
    imageBODY BAG FOR RIM NICK image

So much for the free grading LOL. They didn't even take the TrueView photos that I paid money for. image

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageBODY BAG FOR RIM NICK image

So much for the free grading LOL. They didn't even take the TrueView photos that I paid money for. image >>

Wow. Resubmit. Still a great coin!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>imageBODY BAG FOR RIM NICK image

So much for the free grading LOL. They didn't even take the TrueView photos that I paid money for. image >>

Wow. Resubmit. Still a great coin! >>

Nah, she's better in the buff image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Bogus!image Seen much, much worse in a holder!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still a cool coin. I can't even see the rim nick.
    A little quick math.image

PCGS
    10%- Bag
    33%- AU
    36%- 62-63

NGC
    16%- Bag
    16%- AU
    36%- 62-63

Larry

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>It's still a cool coin. I can't even see the rim nick.
    A little quick math.image

PCGS
    10%- Bag
    33%- AU
    36%- 62-63

NGC
    16%- Bag
    16%- AU
    36%- 62-63 >>

Interesting tally. Perhaps this result disproves the theory, as expressed in an earlier post, that "[t]he groupies for the respective TPGs have no doubt been preconditioned to their favorite service's grading standards." I voted 62 both here and across the street.
  • Options
    Is it the tiny nick that is by the 9? Wow! But then again--after only 178 years it should still be absolutely perfect. image
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Is there something other than the tiny nick near the 9?

The coin itself is only as large as my little fingernail and even on blown up pictures the nick near the 9 doesn't look bad and is likely not visable without a loupe. That is harsh and not what I would have expected. Look at some of the crap that gets slabbed and something like your coin gets bagged. image

If it was me I'd do presidential review. If it still bagged then I'd quit submitting.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Wow. That was brutal. I have seen coins with many worse rim problems holdered.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a crock....
    Funny that this one made it right into a clean slab with NO mention of this brutal cleaning visible to the naked eye from the next room.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's bogus. It's all about the Benjamins - and I don't mean the half dollar either. No reason that coin shouldn't have holdered. I would have voted 62 for the grade.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is an update:

True-View Photo for your enjoyment (the photo was taken when the coin was RAW)

The coin has since changed hands and now resides in a PCGS MS-61 holder. No rim nick. Never was anything worth BB'ing the coin for in the first place, IMO.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is an update:

True-View Photo for your enjoyment (the photo was taken when the coin was RAW)

The coin has since changed hands and now resides in a PCGS MS-61 holder. No rim nick. Never was anything worth BB'ing the coin for in the first place, IMO. >>

I wonder why some graders even bother showing up for work in the morning image

It's really too bad that David Hall's income isn't dependent on his graders getting it right the first time image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file