Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

new collector - quarters, pennies, dimes

quick questions:

1. which grading company is the one to go with? i'm guessing its pcgs but ive seen others like ngs?
2. which quarters are the key ones?
3. which pennies aside from 1909 are key?
4. are dimes worth collecting?

thanks!

Comments

• QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Are dimes worth collecting?image

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    quick answers.
    1. Your here that says it all.
    2. 1932-D, 1934-D,1936-D, and 1999 all.
    3. I don't know on this one.
    4. All coins are worth collecting some are just worth more.
  • Find the coins you enjoy the most. For me... proof halves have always been the main thing... but I collected dimes a fair amount also. I also choose to focus on proof since I could not afford both proof and MS, although, there are some great stories and treasures to be found on the MS side.

In the long run, do what brings you the most joy. That includes which service you use. But for me, I have found much greater consistency and respect for higher quality coins through PCGS than any other service.

parke
  • Well I would say of course PCGS is the best.

For quarters Linedad already answered that one. There area few more semi-keys but The ones listed should keep ya busy.

As for Lincolns, I love to collect them and that's my main focus right now. Although my strategy was to start with memorials and work back to wheats. So I am not as informed of the key dates for wheats. But most of the early dates get though in Red and high mint state. An early date like the 1911 d or s in 66rd can run you tens of thousands fairly quickly. A few tougher dates are: 1914-d, 1914-s, 1922 no D, and many of the teens in higher grades. For the memorials there are not any really tough coins to get unless you wanna do a top pop set, then they can get expensive.

Dimes...well I don't collect many dimes as of yet. But I do plan on building a nice set of toned roosies and mercs at some point in the future.