Home Metal Detecting
Options

Closed Amusement Park

So I have come across information leading to an amusement park that has been closed for 30 years. The park was open from 1877-1977 or so from what I could fine. The "locals" all know about the park, and have assured that is easily accessable, and could be accessed through a certain someones yard. Also, the locals assured me that there would be no problem being on the property.

Some of the rides are still standing, and things have began to become overgrown as time has went on, to include the ferris wheel.

In your opinion, would this be a place worth trying out? I would probably spend an entire day there, no longer most likely. Where are the big ticket items going to be found? Obviously being partially overgrown, finding things like paths and what not may be difficult, however not impossible as some shops, stands, and 4 or 5 complete rides are still standing.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Wow, sounds like a great opportunity- with 100 years of operation there are bound to be alot of coins in opinion. One day? You could probably make a month of it! No idea on what area would be best, but do you need any help? image Good luck!
  • Options
    Im only saying one day because of how far away it is from me. I will post up some pictures of it.
  • Options
    Im a roller coaster freak so a lot of them are of the 3 coasters left standing. There is also a shot of the midway... where the games were played, and there is a picture of what I believe to be a theater of something that has since collapsed.

• Options
    That would be a great place to hunt. Anywhere there was a concession is the place I'd start. Then work your way toward where people would line up for the rides. One day - no way! You'd need a week for that place. And then you'd still never be able to clean it out.

I've hit old drive-ins in my area. They are overgrown with scrub and such. Never really found much, but I haven't give up. I just hit them when I get the chance. You may have to hunt this spot the same way when time allows you.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Pics not showing.
    It could be worthwhile if you have patience or proper equipment to dig lots of trash. Pulltabs and gum foil can get tiresome real fast.
    If you're looking to score old coins easily, probably not your best bet.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    Im going to have to disagree with that. I bet the chances of finding good stuff here are just as good, if not better, then an old drive in, and Ive heard of people crushing old drive ins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it sounds like a site with strong potential. Of course there will be a lot of trash there, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I wish yahoo would quit changing the links to my photos as Im tired of editing the pictures so they continue to work.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super opportunity for coins AND jewelry.... wow, only one day? That would be worth weeks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Id check under those coasters and anyplace you can get under boardwalks and the like.
  • Options
    First place you go is the ticket booth without a doubt if you can find it , you can't even imagine how many and what kind of coins were dropped by people over those 100 years of the park's operation as people scrambeled through their pockets, wallets and purses for money. From there check the shops and stands, again, people may have dropped coins and stuff. After that, go under the rides if you can because items may have accidentally fell off the coaster. I wish I was you, I havn't got to go out MDing in over a year, I've been caught up in so much stuff, but now that summer is here, I'm planning on getting out some more after my cruise this saturday. This is the first time I've been on the forums since New Years I think lol. Good luck at that park, I'm sure you'll find something worthy.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Any updates to this thread? Have you gone to the park yet?
  • Options
    Nope. The park is in Ohio. I grew up there. I will be going as soon as I go home to visit family. Would have loved to have Goldrush join me... but seems like its not going to happen now... so Ill probably be going solo.
  • Options
    Why don't you put those pics on Photobucket? Any luck yet?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    if i only had one day, i would look for the spots where the people rested. i'd look for nice old shady trees and picnic areas. i'd set my disc high and only go for the big stuff. if it has'nt been real hard by anyone else, there ought to be alot of halves and dollars in there. i would'nt bother taking any signal under a quarter.
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't you put those pics on Photobucket? Any luck yet? >>

Yeah I finally made a photobucket account... but never changed these pics over... maybe if I get some time later on tonight I can. Good to see you around Rob... havent seen you in a while. Anytime in Aug you might be able to sneak out?
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe.

I might even be persuaded to come up this weekend, if you have a good site lined up, and if I get my detector back. image

(My electronics wizard pal is working on the inline probe for my Garrett 2500).

• Options
    I have the usual ones that you know about... including "The One" that I would specifically prefer to have a buddy with... just because of the spook factor. I also have permission to dig on a guys and his neighbors yard and beach about 1/4 mile from Fort Fremont.

Been killing myself for weeks now... and wouldnt mind a break this weekend myself... definately keep me posted... because I would LOVE to go to "The One" and actually be able to hunt instead of watch my back... lol.
  • Options

<< <i> "The One" that I would specifically prefer to have a buddy with... just because of the spook factor >>

I too would love to have a crack at THE site. image

I dunno if I can pull it off for this weekend or not, but maybe. Gimme a call sometime so I have your # in caller ID again.

• Options
    Definately not a problem.

Just let me know... I have no problems dropping work this weekend!!!!