Home Metal Detecting

saturday's find

First thanks to Lordmar for giving me the link on how to post pics. You just saved me hours of pain and suffering.
Next a little about me. I'm Dave and reside in Minnesota. I am 2yrs into metal detecting and loving it. Lately I've been detecting in our local city park which has 217 acres. The park was once a state park built back in 1911, then later handed over to the city to take care of. I have been working areas of the park that arent really used today by the public, and so far I found a 1915 Barber which I posted last week and then yesterday found a 1909 Indian head penny. They are my two best finds to this day. I went to the local museum and checked out old pics, circa 1900's and found info on an old cabin a man lived in were i've been detecting and also found out there was an old girl scout cabin which was destroyed by a flood, still searching to find where that was. Anyway I could go on and on. Please post daily finds, that gives me inspiration to get out there.
Dave

Comments

• Dave, Nice photo!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a neat area, with many opportunities.. keep us up to date... Cheers, RickO
  • cool find dude!...keep it up...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Very nice Dave! Keep it up.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Nice find, to bad it didn't have a little s on the back.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!

I haven't dug a 1909 yet. They're a little scarcer, you know.

A lot scarcer with the S. The 1909-S is the lowest mintage in the entire Indian cent series, if I remember correctly. Even less than the 1877, though the 1877 is more valuable.

Nice detail on that one, which is quite attractive for a dug Indian cent.

It doesn't have a tiny "S" under the wreath, by any chance, does it? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    No S on the back

• That's a sweet IHC!

I've dug a 1909 myself, but it looks like a pig compared to yours.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • That is a superb dug IHC I've ever seen. I've found dozens of IHCs but none looks like that.
    Very nice.

BTW, what did you use to clean the coin with? Thanks.
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Beleive it or not I did not clean the coin. The area that I've been finding these coins is soft black soil. It's very hard to hunt because of all the cedar trees and brush, sometimes I cant even get a full sweep in.